Sammy's Famous Roumanian Restaurant

Go with a group.. Its the type of place where if you are eating with 2 people or 6 people you will order the same amount of food, the bar tab is the only thing that will change.

I will speak strictly for the food.. The best, best, best chopped liver I have ever had.. Served table side a la Cesar Salad or Guacamole, the burnt onions and the extra hit of chicken fat take it to the next level.. In fact, its hard for me to go with my parents because I have to hold back and play it down a little.. "Do you like there chopped liver Daniel?" "Sure Mom, its good, I mean, nowhere near as good as yours, but its certainly good, definitely worth ordering.."

The potato latke's are bricks.. "The latkes that they give you, they say there mighty fine but, one rolled off the table and killed a friend of mine" Hit it with a little sour cream and apple sauce and its fairly decent.. I am also a huge fan of the sausage.. Not really sausage, more like a loaf made with garlic, veal, beef, and then a ton more of garlic rolled into a cylinder and bound with a little egg.. Make sure everyone at the tables eats them because it then cancels out the affects.

Couple of good meat options.. Get the burnt onions with all the steaks and for g-d sakes get it medium rare..

This brings us to the drinking portion of the evening.. Often times people will complain about the expense of drinking here.. Its cleary stated on the wall how much drinking is.. A bottle of vodka is something like 100 bucks.. Thats fairly reasonable for New York and a restaurant.. My only pointer is to make sure they open the bottle in front of you, make sure keep track of how much you are drinking.. If you want less to drink a double shot of vodka works out ot be 10 bucks..

This aint the Ritz so take it for what it is.. Its a unique experience which is going to be as fun as you make it.. And yes, I am capable of making it through this review with out a cheesy Yiddish remark..

• Like 1
  • Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's the secret of enjoying Sammy's. Eat as little as possible.

Ketle (sic) One vodka? More like Shtetl One, amirite?

Go with a group.. Its the type of place where if you are eating with 2 people or 6 people you will order the same amount of food, the bar tab is the only thing that will change.   I will speak stri

It's a dump, which when Lespinasse still existed had entree prices comparable with that midtown palace of indulgence. Also, could they just not burn the onions?

I would like the beef addressed too. Send it to Mongolia, special delivery. The horsemen need to line their saddles.

I feel pretty much exactly as you do about the place, Daniel. I have been known to drink vodka and sing along in various languages with the kitschy bands on more than one occasion, and I do love the chopped liver, the sweetbreads, and - god help me - the Roumanian steak. Karnatzelach too. It's a vibe thing though - you have to go with the right group of people, with the right expectations, and be in the mood for that kind of thing (which happens to me very infrequently).

But there's a lot of "board history" where Sammy's is concerned.

Asbtract the atmosphere, and imagine being served those steaks in some lousy chain diner off a highway somewhere. Then you would know how bad they truly are - but you wouldn't be paying fifty bucks for them (with sides).

I have had chopped liver in the East End of London every bit as good, without the hooey.

Also, could they just not burn the onions?

I dont know how to respond to this.. Why wouldnt they burn the onions.. ;)

Do you burn onions before serving them? I find it imparts a bitter flavor. I generally try not to burn food.

Wilf didn't "get" Sammy's. ;)

I get it entirely. The kitsch is what it is, and if you like it, fine.

But tell the truth about the food and the prices; the former hideous, the latter outrageous.