Sammy's Famous Roumanian Restaurant

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's the secret of enjoying Sammy's. Eat as little as possible.

Ketle (sic) One vodka? More like Shtetl One, amirite?

Go with a group.. Its the type of place where if you are eating with 2 people or 6 people you will order the same amount of food, the bar tab is the only thing that will change.   I will speak stri

I have one last point I want to make about this review.

You can say this should have been a feature or some other kind of non-review write-up. But maybe Wells attached as much importance to correcting Sammy's existing (and reaffirmed!) three-star rating as we attach to revisiting JoJo's.

Of course, we can disagree with the extent of his correction. I think Adrian, Oakapple, and I think he could have filed the same review with some sub-star designation and it would have been fine. He wouldn't have to change more than a word or two at the end.

But the whole point of this restaurant is the cultural stuff. It has no other conceivable meaning.

But it is FAKE cultural stuff based on stereotypes that in another context would be easily recognized as offensive.

No. They're totally accurate. That was my upbringing. That was the culture I grew up in.

Me too. My mom loved it, and it wasn't because the steak was great (it wasn't). The wine, as I recall, tasted like motor oil. But I assure you, she'd go back.

And mine liked Applebee's & would go back. Doesn't make it a good restaurant or mean there's a 3 star kitchen.

Even though there were quite a few decent Romanian grill places around, my grandfather always insisted on celebrating his birthdays at this place where they had live music, food that all tasted like p'tcha (which was called, very explicitly, fus) except for the p'tcha, which tasted like nothing. If you asked for dessert then went out with an ice cream dish and bought a couple of scoops for you at the ice cream shop next door. Go figure.

But the whole point of this restaurant is the cultural stuff. It has no other conceivable meaning.

But it is FAKE cultural stuff based on stereotypes that in another context would be easily recognized as offensive.

No. They're totally accurate. That was my upbringing. That was the culture I grew up in.

Me too. My mom loved it, and it wasn't because the steak was great (it wasn't). The wine, as I recall, tasted like motor oil. But I assure you, she'd go back.

And mine liked Applebee's & would go back. Doesn't make it a good restaurant or mean there's a 3 star kitchen.

That's something of a red herring, though. I don't think anyone here would argue for three stars -- and I doubt anyone would even argue very hard for one star.

You know, as I understand it, at least, I think people are kind of mischaracterizing Sammy's. You all present it as if it's some kind of self-conscious, exaggerated recreation of something. As I understand it, Sammy's was opened by a (or some) waiter(s) at a longtime Old Skool Roumanian Jewish restaurant after that place closed. It wasn't a "tribute" or "recreation" of the place, but rather an attempt to continue it. So Sammy's is about as self-conscious and "fake" as Wolfgang's.

It's not a "recreation" of or "tribute" to a thing. It's a latter-day version of the thing.

You know, as I understand it, at least, I think people are kind of mischaracterizing Sammy's. You all present it as if it's some kind of self-conscious, exaggerated recreation of something. As I understand it, Sammy's was opened by a (or some) waiter(s) at a longtime Old Skool Roumanian Jewish restaurant after that place closed. It wasn't a "tribute" or "recreation" of the place, but rather an attempt to continue it. So Sammy's is about as self-conscious and "fake" as Wolfgang's.

It's not a "recreation" of or "tribute" to a thing. It's a latter-day version of the thing.

If this is accurate, and the core audience is people from this culture, I see absolutely nothing to object to. In that case, it's almost the objection that becomes objectionable.

If it's an exaggeration (or if it's become aware!), that's where you could have problems. Not necessarily, especially if the core audience is in on the joke, but potentially (as I've tried to discuss, especially viz. "tourist" audiences).

• 8 months later...

Just watched this season's Nurse Jackie episode 5: does Sammy's really look like that?

'It's like an adult bar mitzvah.'

• Like 1

Just watched this season's Nurse Jackie episode 5: does Sammy's really look like that?

'It's like an adult bar mitzvah.'

We were there the other night. That is exactly what it is.

Actually, it looked a little cleaned up for TV.