Sammy's Famous Roumanian Restaurant

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's the secret of enjoying Sammy's. Eat as little as possible.

Ketle (sic) One vodka? More like Shtetl One, amirite?

Go with a group.. Its the type of place where if you are eating with 2 people or 6 people you will order the same amount of food, the bar tab is the only thing that will change.   I will speak stri

So, had the company party at Sammy's last night... I have to say, it may be surprising but, it's an amzing place for a group.... The 20 of us drank 6 bottles of vodka.. The chopped liver was awesome, the food was not.. .However, i ordered the steak rare and it came medium rare and wasn't terrible..The garlic sausages were totally edible.. The latkes still remind me of that old camp song about rolling off a table and killing someone..

One thing that sucked was, the waitstaff was this apathetic girl who must have never been to Sammy's.. .They delivered pickles and bread and forgot the shmaltz.. None of the jokes, none of the personality, she was a dead fish... I had to tell the jokes, the Jewish Olive Oil, the whole shtick.. The performer was not Danny Love even though I confirmed.. And I know that fucker lives upstairs.. The singer was some goyem with again, no personality.. Singing Dayenu with an Irish Accent.. They did allow our cook Runner and myself to do a Pearl Jam Song... I gave a prepared speech two vodkas in..

Whatever, we drank a shit load of vodka.. The ticket was at least 800 in vodka, 700 in food for 20 people.. Really. not a bad place to go with a group.. They tried to sell me on the 55 dollars per person but, I got three chopped livers, three latke,2 mashed potatoes with greevens, two sweet breads, two stuffed cabbages, two calves livers, 3 sausages, few other things..

We did a ceremonial exchanging of the Mekelburg's Babkas.. We brought 5 babkas and handed them out to the owner, the singer, the waitress, a table next to us.. I think our waitress had never heard of Babka.. We got up and did the Hora... It was all fun...

Finished the night taking shots and drinking at Tip Top in Bedstuy.. A real cultured evening... So lucky to have everyone working with us..

What? No egg creams?!

I've never been to Sammy's. My parents went occasionally with a group of friends.

The chopped liver at the long defunct French Roumanian, on Delancey St., was fantastic. As a kid growing up on the LES, being taken there by my parents was a real treat.

Edited to add: Looking at Sammy's website, I see it opened in 1975. My Dad died in 1981.

So, had the company party at Sammy's last night... I have to say, it may be surprising but, it's an amzing place for a group.... The 20 of us drank 6 bottles of vodka.. The chopped liver was awesome, the food was not.. .However, i ordered the steak rare and it came medium rare and wasn't terrible..The garlic sausages were totally edible.. The latkes still remind me of that old camp song about rolling off a table and killing someone..

One thing that sucked was, the waitstaff was this apathetic girl who must have never been to Sammy's.. .They delivered pickles and bread and forgot the shmaltz.. None of the jokes, none of the personality, she was a dead fish... I had to tell the jokes, the Jewish Olive Oil, the whole shtick.. The performer was not Danny Love even though I confirmed.. And I know that fucker lives upstairs.. The singer was some goyem with again, no personality.. Singing Dayenu with an Irish Accent.. They did allow our cook Runner and myself to do a Pearl Jam Song... I gave a prepared speech two vodkas in..

Whatever, we drank a shit load of vodka.. The ticket was at least 800 in vodka, 700 in food for 20 people.. Really. not a bad place to go with a group.. They tried to sell me on the 55 dollars per person but, I got three chopped livers, three latke,2 mashed potatoes with greevens, two sweet breads, two stuffed cabbages, two calves livers, 3 sausages, few other things..

We did a ceremonial exchanging of the Mekelburg's Babkas.. We brought 5 babkas and handed them out to the owner, the singer, the waitress, a table next to us.. I think our waitress had never heard of Babka.. We got up and did the Hora... It was all fun...

Finished the night taking shots and drinking at Tip Top in Bedstuy.. A real cultured evening... So lucky to have everyone working with us..

PERFECT night out for industry people.

You mention you consider yourself lucky to have the staff you do but I bet they feel the exact same way about you and your wife. Glad the team was able to release some steam!

• 4 years later...
David swears by the chopped chicken liver that you have to schmear on a piece rye bread—he calls it Jewish guacamole—and the rendered chicken fat known as schmaltz that should adorn every table in the restaurant. When it comes to dessert, there’s no question: rugelach (which David refers to as a Jewish version of a Fig Newton) and an egg cream. 

I've never heard of either chicken liver being called Jewish guacamole, nor rugelach being called Jewish Fig Newtons...until now.