New York City

I don't remember the price of an average ticket, but I do remember that on a salary of less than $100 a week, I was able to afford theatre, opera and ballet tickets on a regular basis.

Yup. 1970-71: annual salary of $6,250. I went to concerts, dance performances, plays, movies, and museums on average more than once a week. And no, I didn't have roommates to share the rent all that time.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mother says the same - but she got student seats, rush seats, standing room, etc., a lot of the time.

you can still do these things. I lived in Manhattan on a relatively low salary (it wasn't starting assistant book editor at a publishing house, but it wasn't investment banker salary either) and I ate out, went to theater, saw opera, went shopping . . . I didn't save that much but I did fine. Then again, I didn't go to the meat packing district and drink $15 drinks on a regular basis. There are a lot of free/cheap opportunities in the city if you take the time to learn about them and take advantage of them.

If only we could balance preservation and progress just to suit ourselves. The old Times Square is unthinkable now, but the new one is repugnant. Something just in between would work for me.

whenever the good old days comes up I think about a famous speech in Inherit the Wind. Everything's a trade off:

Gentlemen, progress has never been a bargain. You have to pay for it. Sometimes I think there's a man who sits behind a counter and says, "Alright, you can have a telephone, but you lose privacy and the charm of distance." "Madam, you may vote, but at a price. You lose the right to retreat behind the powder-puff or your petticoat." "Mr., you may conquer the air, but the birds will lose their wonder and the clouds will smell of gasoline."
I don't remember the price of an average ticket, but I do remember that on a salary of less than $100 a week, I was able to afford theatre, opera and ballet tickets on a regular basis.

Opera & ballet - $3.76 in 1965 and theater was $4.22.

Opera & ballet - $3.76 in 1965 and theater was $4.22.

The old railway schedules have ticket prices in the ads. It wasn't uncommon to have 8 or 10 different prices, with lower prices at matinees. Most places just have two prices now.

Sweet Charity had a lowest price of $3.25 in October 1966. I made about 80 cents an hour stocking shelves in the Acme after school in 1967 , as a point of reference.

The Mets had an unreserved seat in the upper balcony for a buck, and a couple of us could occupy a box for a $1 bribe to the usher after the third or fourth inning

...and gas averaged 18 cents a gallon. I made a typo on the theater prices. It wasn't $4.22, it was $4.12, sorry for the error. Movie prices averaged 40 cents for matinees and 50 cents in the evening. So the proportion is still about the same - $10 movies and $100 theater - very interesting.

you can still go to the Met for $20.

standing (really leaning) room ticket -- $20.

after the first intermission you can move up and sit in an empty seat.

rush tickets for practically any concert are around $35.

museums are still essentially free. etc.

its housing that has changed drastically.

Whenever it was that plain ol' folks like myself could afford to go to the ballet, the theatre, the opera, more than once every two years.

what more proof do you need that these are the best of times in nyc? suffering has been reduced.

shouldn't you be minding your own business..............beeeyaaaaaaaaaaaatch?

i mean, yes, well normally you would think so, but i am the son of a fighter pilot, and so don't leave things for the last minute. we are almost all done with a day to go.