New York City

you can still go to the Met for $20.

standing (really leaning) room ticket -- $20.

after the first intermission you can move up and sit in an empty seat.

rush tickets for practically any concert are around $35.

museums are still essentially free. etc.

its housing that has changed drastically.

Museums are now usually $20, at least art museums are, but some have free admission during certain times.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Museums are now usually $20, at least art museums are, but some have free admission during certain times.

Interestingly enough, a lot of people qualify for free museum passes, although not necessarily the people who most need the subsidized tickets. If your employer is a corporate sponser you can get into most museums for free, using the member-only short lines. That was a nice little perk. I do think that it's ridiculous that student tickets are $12 at MOMA. That tells me that they don't actually care about getting students through the door. On the other hand, children 16 and under get in free, which is generous.

you can still go to the Met for $20.

standing (really leaning) room ticket -- $20.

after the first intermission you can move up and sit in an empty seat.

rush tickets for practically any concert are around $35.

museums are still essentially free. etc.

its housing that has changed drastically.

the Met is free.

almost all museums offer free admission on Friday evening.

membership (giving you free admission for the year) is under $100 for any of them.

the Met is free.

you don't have to give it...but the "suggested" admission is $20.00

that doesn't mean free to me.

The suggested admission to St. Patrick's Cathedral is $100 - do you think I'm going to argue with the big guy (gal)?

the Met is free.

"you don't have to give it" = free.

I usually give them $5-10 everytime I go...but when I first moved here and was completely broke I'd give them a dollar.

the Met is free.

I usually give them $5-10 everytime I go...but when I first moved here and was completely broke I'd give them a dollar.

If everyone gave $5 do you think the museum could stay open?

There is a reason

Blocks and blocks of apartment buildings in marginal areas . . . are being bought up by companies with no stake in the city whatsoever (other than to make money) . . .

I really struggle with this concept, too. It's happening everywhere. Robert Moses destroyed wonderful ethnic neighborhoods (and some lives) to build "his" New York without official due process. Who are these greedy people and how much money is enough and will they ever feel guilty? I don't understand why Montana must be be chopped up into planned development mega-ranches, either. Guess this can't really be debated without getting mired in politics and religion. We have a very unique town of little beach cottages that is slowly being ripped apart and replaced with MegaMcMansions, 800 sq ft one-story homes being replaced with three-story 6-10,000 sq ft ones that dwarf surroundings and block everyone's views. All for money.

Is this coincidence or what? The Wall Street Journal today, W8, announces Bruce Kovner (hedge fund manager and on boards of Juilliard and Lincoln Center) paying $70 million to buy three adjoining properties here in "my" little altitude 7 population 14,800 town. New Yorkers are taking over! ;)

I was impatiently waiting in the Met line with some out-of-towners. A couple of young-ish guys were in front of us. When they asked for their admission "clip-on thingie" pass, they were asked for a contribution. They responded that twenty bucks is only "suggested" and they were taking a pass on the suggestion. They were then told, calmy but audibly enough for me to hear it, that some contribution is expected. A George Washington was exchanged and off they went.

It wasn't free for those guys that day, surely not free of some embarrassment. And the Met cashier surely should have kept her voice to a whisper.

I wonder if that was / still is standard policy or whether there might have been a rogue cashier.

The suggested admission to St. Patrick's Cathedral is $100 - do you think I'm going to argue with the big guy (gal)?

That doesn't appear on their website. I'm assuming you were joking.

They thought he was Jewish.

Or Polish.