New York City

the Met is free.

you don't have to give it...but the "suggested" admission is $20.00

that doesn't mean free to me.

"you don't have to give it" = free.

I usually give them $5-10 everytime I go...but when I first moved here and was completely broke I'd give them a dollar.

If everyone gave $5 do you think the museum could stay open?

considering that a portion of the 45% of my income that I pay in taxes (literally) goes to the Met...I think having the tourists pay $20 apiece is sufficient.

furthermore, the contract which deeded the land to the Met expressly provided that NYC residents always have the option of going for free. that was part of the deal.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have also heard Met tickeers say to people, "That is only suggested." So there you are. I remember paying pennies at least once, simply because I'd forgotten to go to an ATM and didn't fancy trekking back to Madison. No big deal.

Hey, I've paid my share over the years.

As it happens, I was just looking at a private tour of the Greek/Roman galleries by the famed curator, Senor Picon. Over two hundred bucks. I wish that was only suggested.

considering that a portion of the 45% of my income that I pay in taxes (literally) goes to the Met...I think having the tourists pay $20 apiece is sufficient.

In Spain, last time I looked, residents got in free and tourists paid. I like that system. I used to advocate in the U.K., but everyone refused to carry any kind of ID card.

"you don't have to give it" = free.

I usually give them $5-10 everytime I go...but when I first moved here and was completely broke I'd give them a dollar.

I was impatiently waiting in the Met line with some out-of-towners. A couple of young-ish guys were in front of us. When they asked for their admission "clip-on thingie" pass, they were asked for a contribution. They responded that twenty bucks is only "suggested" and they were taking a pass on the suggestion. They were then told, calmy but audibly enough for me to hear it, that some contribution is expected. A George Washington was exchanged and off they went.

It wasn't free for those guys that day, surely not free of some embarrassment. And the Met cashier surely should have kept her voice to a whisper.

I wonder if that was / still is standard policy or whether there might have been a rogue cashier.

I've never seen anyone not give them at least a perfunctory dollar (which they don't even raise an eyebrow at)

standing (really leaning) room ticket -- $20.

after the first intermission you can move up and sit in an empty seat.

I think that's called freeloading.

a. no, it's called not being rich.

b. its also understood...a quarter of the bluehairs who make up most of the people who actually have the good (and quite pricey) seats at the Met...leave after the first intermission. the ushers don't even blink an eye when you move down. yeah, they're subsidizing my seat. and the problem is?

now can we talk about food?

So I was thinking about those theater tickets.....

In 1968 no one had:

PCs

DVDs

iPods

cable

cell phones

Entertainment was limited to TV, radio, theater, opera, movies, museums and I guess a few other things I'm not thinking of.

Yet, I bet everyone here has at least 3 out of those 5 if not 4 or all 5. Our entertainment dollars are spread much thinner, BUT if you compare theater tickets then and annual incomes then to theater tickets now and annual incomes now, it seems to me the cost of a theater ticket now is very much in line with what it was then PLUS we each have the added expense of cable, cell phone, etc.

SO, what was my point? Uh, I guess it was that we're all paying for forms of entertainment now that we weren't paying for then, so even though the comparative cost of a ticket is close to being the same, we have the additional cost of all those other things to eat up our entertainment dollars.

Whateva.

It is inconceivable that either business or social life could have existed without cellphones. I can only conclude that the past is a delusion and that the world was created more recently than physicists suppose.

It is inconceivable that either business or social life could have existed without cellphones. I can only conclude that the past is a delusion and that the world was created more recently than physicists suppose.

As I recall you finally broke down and got one a few years ago. Or am I misremembering?

I few years back I took part in a focus group meant to learn how people use various telecommunications devices. The 25-year old business school graduates claimed that life could not proceed without cell phones. One said, "what would you do if you were in an airport and had to reach the office?" He seemed amazed to learn that airports did and still do have public payphones.

One question asked to the married people in the group: "Who in your household is responsible for purchasing telecommunications devices?" I asked whether "purchasing telecommunications devices" was something to be bartered against "doing the laundry" or "washing the dishes."