Montreal

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Currenly on the list:   Restaurants:     Au Pied De Cochon (been to before and had the best raw platter we've had in North America)   La Chronique (good reviews on other sites)   possibly Br

another thing - most coffee shops (and there are many of them) either use Illy or roast their own (it seems like the horrible environmental effects that seem to make this impossible in Manhattan do no

A very good meal at Les Chevres.   Not a very large restaurant, seating maybe 50 at capacity (a lot less when we were there), with a seemingly low investment in decor, but a full realization of a c

We were in Montreal last week and were grateful for Adrian's reports (above) in particular.

Dinner the first night was at APDC. I'd been both excited and apprehensive about going, worried that the food would be too heavy and the restaurant too touristy. In fact, we really enjoyed our meal, sat on a table beside the bar. Sitting there felt especially raucous in a good way. A Montreal double date in their early twenties were at the bar and ordered noisily. We asked a chic Canadian couple next to them in their thirties about how much to tip. Service was friendly. We drunk glasses of Lassaigne Vignes de Montgueux, a great champagne to have by the glass although it was maybe just a little flat. Then 2011 Houillon/Overnoy Poulsard, a real bargain at $75. French toast with goat's cheese, seared foie gras, and a raspberry sauce was excellent, more subtly composed than you might expect, with delicious gooseberries scattered over the plate. Then a fresh and tasty crab and cucumber salad as a middle course (thanks to a thoughtful pacing suggestion from the waiter). Then a guinea fowl for two, served with mushrooms. The legs had evidently been cooked separately from the rest and it was a succulent and flavorsome bird, with a very good sauce, maybe made using veal stock, we thought. The sauce came in a can with the bird's neck and head inside. The guinea fowl was perhaps a bit expensive at $90, but we liked it a lot. Dessert was the only disappointment, an overly sweet and one-dimensional strawberry steamed "pudding".

The next morning we got bagels at St Viateur (excellent sesame, unimpressive cinammon raisin) and ate them at Myriade, where the flat white was textbook and we loved the vibe. Then walked to boulangerie Guilhaume and had a good apple sticky bun and a good white chocolate bun -- I don't quite agree with Adrian about it being on Clear Flour's level but I appreciated the comparison. Lunch was at l'Express. We really wanted to order a bottle of wine here as the list was great and great value (Clos Rougeard, Metras) but instead just had a glass of wine each. We had the octopus with lentils, chanterelle tart, and shared a pot au feu, followed by a nougat glacé. Everything was very pleasing -- we'd definitely go back. It felt like the antithesis of Balthazar.

Dinner on our last night was at Lawrence. This was our least favorite meal, although certainly not a bad one. Maybe the style of cooking is too similar to the kind of thing we could get at Reynard, and not so precise, and the pricing for some of the dishes seemed a little higher for what you were getting than at the other restaurants we went to. The wine list is good but has much higher mark-ups than APDC and l'Express -- a Metras Moulin-à-Vent on the Lawrence list cost $30 more than a Metras Fleurie on the l'Express list that I don't think would be dissimilarly priced at retail. We drunk Duchene's tasty entry wine. We ate a good, warm squid and samphire salad with a compellingly mustardy sauce -- although there were more cooked onions than squid in it. An heirloom tomato salad (which the restaurant seemed to forget about until we reminded them) was slightly overwhelmed by its dressing. We then both ordered the dry-aged pork sirloin, with fried potatoes and swiss chard. The accompaniments were extremely good but my husband's pork was pink and rubbery and really shouldn't have been sent out, given it was sliced and visibly less perfectly cooked than mine. The waitress said it was cooked sous-vide to a safe temperature but it was really a textural thing. They did fire it up some more without incinerating it. Dessert was a warm cannelé with raspberries -- I was a little surprised by the cannelé being warm and it almost felt like a way to conceal its not quite having the correct sponginess of a good cannelé. Certainly not as good as at Boulette's Larder.

We ate at L'Express as well. I had the mushroom tart. Others at our table had the steak frites and the seafood risotto. It's a beautiful restaurant, they were cool about us having the 1 year old with us. But the food didn't blow me away. I sure do wish I knew how to post pictures in here...I keep forgetting and blow it off. I do have some great pictures....

We ate at L'Express as well. I had the mushroom tart. Others at our table had the steak frites and the seafood risotto. It's a beautiful restaurant, they were cool about us having the 1 year old with us. But the food didn't blow me away. I sure do wish I knew how to post pictures in here...I keep forgetting and blow it off. I do have some great pictures....

you got your pics on a flickr or similar account?

Just wanted to check. I thought you had an account but wasn't sure.

I don't know what your flickr looks like now, but if you have the new view, then when you click on a picture, it enlarges with a black background?

If yes, in the bottom right corner of the black part, you should see three dots, then to the left of that to diagonal arrows pointing to opposite corners, then to the left of that a box with an arrow going out of it?

Click on that box with the arrow (if you hover over it, it says "More ways to share").

Then click on "Grab the HTML/BB Code" and make sure the "BBCode" bubble is checked and choose the photo size you want. Then the easiest thing to do would be to copy and paste in the entire code under the "Copy and paste the code below" part.

There might be an easier way, but that's the only way I know.

I got as far as getting the pics into flickr and grabbing the code. Which icon do I click on here, in mf?? You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community. This is what I get......