Montreal

Yeah, I would second Myriade.They usually have a decent selection of baked goods and pastries in the morning. You also get to avoid the concordia students (mostly) this time of year. Pikolo is great and about a ten minute walk east of Peel. Cafe vasco de gamma might not be bad for breakfast, though I have never had their coffee.

There is also a decent bakery/patissier near Guy/Sherbrooke called O Plaisirs Gourmand. Might be worth a shot if you go to Myriade.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Currenly on the list:   Restaurants:     Au Pied De Cochon (been to before and had the best raw platter we've had in North America)   La Chronique (good reviews on other sites)   possibly Br

another thing - most coffee shops (and there are many of them) either use Illy or roast their own (it seems like the horrible environmental effects that seem to make this impossible in Manhattan do no

A very good meal at Les Chevres.   Not a very large restaurant, seating maybe 50 at capacity (a lot less when we were there), with a seemingly low investment in decor, but a full realization of a c

Thanks for the recommendations. Dominion Square Tavern was pretty much ideal for a late night drink and small snack nearby. Food fine, service a bit disorganized but friendly.

Myriade was a great tip. After having the most horrible 3.20 CAD coffee of my life yesterday I found myself jet lagged and awake early this morning, so walked over and had an excellent cappuccino. Then another. Then realized they use double shots. Which got me through the morning meetings so that was good, I guess. Also, lovely staff. Could we persuade intelligencia to replace their staff hipsters with Montreal hipsters?

In response to "Who goes to L'Epicier?" asked above, well we did. Good place for a work dinner. Food local & creative but not threatening. Atmosphere grown-up but relaxed. Maybe not for this board but I can see the appeal.

I've only been to Majestique for drinks and oysters.The food is mostly upscale comfort food. The food that went out looked decent but this was near when it opened and the menu was short.

Mezcla has had unanimous praise, but I'm never in the area so I haven't been. Hotel Herman is a good, small plates, but thoughtful cooking. Sit at the bar, the tables are Siberia. I'm pretty sure I wrote it up in this thread somewhere.

If you haven't been, Maison Publique is worth a visit.

JB and Liverpool House remain excellent. Their wine bar is worth a visit, if only for a snack and to ingest some vegetables(though I know you don't need them)

I have one dinner left to book for our three night stay in Montreal. We're going to L'Express on Friday night and ADPC on Saturday night. For Sunday night (thanks for posting the link to restaurants open Sunday and Monday nights btw) I'm thinking either Bouillon Bilk or Le Comptoir Charcuterie et Vins. I'm wanting to complement the two we have and I'm worried about going to three places with similar food and feel. Thoughts? Other suggestions?

You have a decent mix. L'express is very traditional, APDC is large portions and gluttony. Le comptoir is small plates, good charcuterie and a good natural wine list. Bouillon bilk is modern French, with meticulous plating, usually incorporates elements from land and sea. My last meal there wasn't great but the was before the revamp and expansion. Since the recent revamp the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

Very good meal at Le Serpent on Monday. Like CCeP gone Italianish. Very good crudo plate with mackerel, fluke and an immaculate scallop that maybe was a tad over-dressed. Speck, cauliflower and truffle tagliatelle was excellent and made with very good truffle oil - not overpowering, no metallic taste. Lobster risotto with yellow beet and mascarpone was technically correct and a bit more subtly than you'd expect. Only miss was a rotisserie veal rib that was way too sweet-fatty. Side baked potato with celeriac remoulade was a hit. Strawberry dessert was a good light finish. Bio dynamic chardonnay from the alto-adige had the perfect French-Italian balance for the meal.

Lunch at L'Express was still lunch at L'Express (raviolis in mushroom sauce, the perfect tartar) and brunch at Olive and Gourmand is still brunch at Olive and Gourmand, though they have a new, and fantastic, egg sandwich and they now put hearts in their too dark lattes.

Patrice Patissier remains world class. Vert, vanilla bean yogurt with peach compote, kouign amann this time.

Smoke Meat Pete was basically as good as Schwartz's, though it felt like a Quebecoise Dinosaur BBQ in the middle of a parking lot because, well, it was.

Ori - I'd keep CCeP on your list based on my meal in March posted here. Maybe don't do the blind tasting, but definitely do some back and forth over building your menu. Serpent is a worthwhile addition for a Monday. The expanded Bouillon Bilk looked very nice. Hotel Herman comes highly recommended from a friend of mine who works in the CCeP group but I haven't tried it yet. Lawrence for brunch would be a good call as well.

that reminds me,

Cabane APDC: Apple Season

Having been to the cabane once before during maple season, I was expecting the worst. However, this meal was downright... reasonable, at least by their standards. No tower of desserts as the first course, nor any true gut bombs like the poached foie gras on a pancake with baked beans. There were vegetables! Fish! Hell there was even tofu in one of the dishes. Unlike the last time, we only had to bring a small amount back.

The highlights included a beautiful saucisson, studded with migneron cheese, encased (or rather baked into) in a beautiful golden brioche, itself cooked in an tomato soup can. This was served with a bowl of tomato soup. There was also a dish of fried brain, served atop a roasted cauliflower and dressed with a grenobloise sauce. The one terribly heavy dish was a meatloaf, make of pork and pork liver, layered with cheese, wrapped in bacon and jambon blanc, with a sauce of mushrooms on top. Heavy but really tasty. The roasted mackerels were tasty, but the tresses of spicy merguez served alongside were the star. Desserts were really well executed, great pastry on the strawberry pie and the apple/rhubarb trottoir. The vacherin was especially good, light and refreshing after all the heavy food.

Less successful was the roast pork dish with sweetbreads. The pork was good, but the sweetbreads were overcooked and badly cleaned. A spring roll like parcel topped with beef carpaccio and slivers of foie gras was a head scratcher, and not particularly tasty either.

This isn't an exact rundown of all the dishes. If you want to have an idea of what the food looks like, this dude took decent photos.

Overall, the menu felt a good deal more safe, but also much more manageable than the spring sugar shack. Menu was also cheaper, from 65 to 55. Fair considering the menu was also lighter on luxury ingredients.

Ori - I'd keep CCeP on your list based on my meal in March posted here. Maybe don't do the blind tasting, but definitely do some back and forth over building your menu. Serpent is a worthwhile addition for a Monday. The expanded Bouillon Bilk looked very nice. Hotel Herman comes highly recommended from a friend of mine who works in the CCeP group but I haven't tried it yet. Lawrence for brunch would be a good call as well.

I'll only have Monday lunch (Lemeac, I think). I'll figure out when I can fit CC&P. Usually when we get to O&G it's after such a huge dinner that I couldn't think of brunch, but I'll do my best.

• 3 weeks later...

Hotel Herman was very good overall.

Maison Publique is not bad either.

Mezcla paled in comparison to our neighborhood Peruvian. To illustrate:

Ceviche: http://s3.amazonaws.com/foodspotting-ec2/reviews/3954685/thumb_600.jpg

Ceviche: http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/04/88/88/2e/bepocah.jpg

And that doesn't even show the very old fluke.

They do have a nice gigantic hunk of chinese-fusion smoked pork, but it's priced more than aggressively at $140

Lemeac keeps getting better.

Joe Beef is as always.

I'll post some details, with gory pictures, later.

What they're doing to avoid being labeled ethnic and therefore cheap (presenting the cuisine as "nuevo latino" even though it's perfectly Peruvian, making sure the FOH is very white, etc.) seems to be working for them financially, but really they just don't have the ingredients to do what they're doing (and there's no reason - they can easily have someone grow chilies, yams and other requisites for them).

But let's start with a reminder of what's great about Lemeac where on a Monday lunch, despite our advanced age, we were still the youngest in the room:

IMAG0386.jpg

Excellent boudin, celery root puree, and sauce, beautiful plating, who can ask for more? It doesn't even seem expensive anymore.