Sign in to follow this  
SeaGal

Radish Leaves

I just bought some beautiful pink radishes at a local farmer's market. The greens are in excellent shape and I'm wondering if any of you eat these. A quick search came up with an Indian radish leaf dish and a French radish leaf soup, as well as a Korean radish leaf kimchee. I eat beet and turnip greens all the time, but have never tried radish greens, perhaps because they're often on the verge of sliminess from when purchased from the market. Any ideas or thoughts on this?

Fry the radishes in duck fat and chop the greens to sprinkle on top.

ETA - Not my recipe. Tip given by David Kinch. It's now a firm favourite in the Friar home.

Great ideas. I bought them to put in the salad to serve with the last of the duck confit from winter's batch, so I still have lots of duck fat to saute them in. Maybe I'll cook them along with the baby turnips and greens from those too. Sunday supper is sounding good, especially if the cool rainy weather stays around like it's supposed to. Thanks for the help!

i've got a recipe in "how to pick a peach" where i chop radish greens into fresh goat cheese, spread it on a crostini and then top with sliced radishes. it's important to wash them really well. the are sand magnets.

i've got a recipe in "how to pick a peach" where i chop radish greens into fresh goat cheese, spread it on a crostini and then top with sliced radishes. it's important to wash them really well. the are sand magnets.

Thank you so much for this idea! Here's what I did:

882765544_8ba9339539.jpg

Goat cheese, feta (because I had some to use up), little bit of garlic, radish leaves and a bit of buttermilk to thin, whirled in the food processor. I had no baguette for crostini, so I served it on locally made salt crackers with slices of pink radishes on top. Excellent! The pink radishes were extremely hot on their own, but were mellowed by the cheese spread. The radish leaves were bitter on their own, but added a lovely, spicey flavor to the cheeses. A recipe in which the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts ;) .

It took two washings to get the sand out. I think I need to buy your book.

Oooo that looks beautiful... What a great recipe.. I am too late but, I was going to suggest something from Fergus Henderson's Book..He adds the radish to the roasting pan after a duck or goose has been in there.. Cook in the pan juice for like 5 minutes before adding the leaves.. He also makes a good point in saying that the leaves keep the radish from rolling all over the plate.. However, that again, looks so pretty..

882765544_8ba9339539.jpg

Goat cheese, feta (because I had some to use up), little bit of garlic, radish leaves and a bit of buttermilk to thin, whirled in the food processor. I had no baguette for crostini, so I served it on locally made salt crackers with slices of pink radishes on top. Excellent! The pink radishes were extremely hot on their own, but were mellowed by the cheese spread. The radish leaves were bitter on their own, but added a lovely, spicey flavor to the cheeses. A recipe in which the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts ;) .

that does look great! I do think the final result would be a slight bit better if you sliced the radish thinner, so it was just a shot of crisp. Also, I forgot, i sprinkled the radishes with coarse sea salt just before serving.

and of course you have to buy my book. everyone has to buy my book.

Russ,

Congratulations and much success.. The book sounds great. Any tritips recipes in there? Just kidding in that you did really help me on another board with my tri-tip cooking.. Thank you again..

882765544_8ba9339539.jpg

Goat cheese, feta (because I had some to use up), little bit of garlic, radish leaves and a bit of buttermilk to thin, whirled in the food processor. I had no baguette for crostini, so I served it on locally made salt crackers with slices of pink radishes on top. Excellent! The pink radishes were extremely hot on their own, but were mellowed by the cheese spread. The radish leaves were bitter on their own, but added a lovely, spicey flavor to the cheeses. A recipe in which the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts :angry: .

that does look great! I do think the final result would be a slight bit better if you sliced the radish thinner, so it was just a shot of crisp. Also, I forgot, i sprinkled the radishes with coarse sea salt just before serving.

and of course you have to buy my book. everyone has to buy my book.

I agree. I did some with the radishes both ways, sliced thin and halved and I liked the thinner best, however, this was the only photo that came out viewable. ;) I would have sprinkled with sea salt, but the crackers had a layer of sea salt and the spread was fairly salty since I'd added the feta to it. I do think it would be better on crostini and if made for a party, that's what I'd use. That said, it was very tasty as is for a week-night nibble.

There's a recipe for radish leaf salad in a Lebanese cookbook I have. I have to admit I've never tried it but it sounds pretty decent. With this particular book, I would take the given proportions with a grain of salt, though.

leaves from 2 bunches radish

1 tsp crushed garlic

1 cup olive oil

1/2 cup lemon juice

1/2 cup raisins

1 white onion, sliced

1 cup chickpeas

salt

To me, it sounds like a lot of dressing in proportion to the rest of it. As I said, grain of salt, but I do like the idea of using raisins.

Russ,

Congratulations and much success.. The book sounds great. Any tritips recipes in there? Just kidding in that you did really help me on another board with my tri-tip cooking.. Thank you again..

If you do buy the book send Russ a copy of the receipt along with a S.A.S.E and he will mail you an autographed bookplate.

ahem, that would be a good idea Scream, if I had any bookplates. but I don't. but someone did send me a book (minus jacket) with a prepaid SASE from FEDEX and that seemed to work well. anyone who's interested, just send me a note. i'm always honored to do those. and thanks, daniel, the book is doing terrifically well. i've been really lucky: great reviews, lot of publicity. It's already been reprinted once. but sorry, no tri-tip (couldn't figure out how to get a vegetable out of it).