SLBunge

Homemade Butter

What does it mean to wash or rinse the butter? Just rinse the buttermilk off with cold water?

When people "churn" -- does that mean a wisk attachment on the kitchen aid, or have some of you actually bought a butter churn?

What does it mean to wash or rinse the butter? Just rinse the buttermilk off with cold water?

When people "churn" -- does that mean a wisk attachment on the kitchen aid, or have some of you actually bought a butter churn?

That's what I do.

So far as washing it, I said this in November 2007:

Try this (not my method but taught me by a clever friend): after draining off/pressing out the buttermilk put the butter in a chilled bowl, add ice water and press the water out by pressing the butter up the sides of the bowl so the water drains to the bottom. Repeat until water runs clear.

The more buttermilk you get out of the butter the longer it will keep without souring and the better the texture will be.

I started nodding off sometime around September 2007.

Which explains a lot.

I made some cultured butter on a lark this weekend. The last issue of Food & Wine had a primer on making cultured butter with tips from the Vermont Butter & Cheese Company. I had a little buttermilk in the fridge that I needed to use anyway so I picked up a quart of organic cream (approx $9 worth) and cultured it with the buttermilk, letting it sit for about 30 hours starting Sunday afternoon. Last night I churned it in my mixer, squeezed and rinsed the product three times, and then packed it into small ramekins.

This morning: heaven! So easy. I don't know why I haven't done this before. And I have leftover buttermilk for pancakes.

I just rediscovered this thread and later I have to read back through it and discover all the ways I could have made it better. But for now the easy culture-and-churn in the mixer is quite good enough.

I made some cultured butter on a lark this weekend. The last issue of Food & Wine had a primer on making cultured butter with tips from the Vermont Butter & Cheese Company. I had a little buttermilk in the fridge that I needed to use anyway so I picked up a quart of organic cream (approx $9 worth) and cultured it with the buttermilk, letting it sit for about 30 hours starting Sunday afternoon. Last night I churned it in my mixer, squeezed and rinsed the product three times, and then packed it into small ramekins.

This morning: heaven! So easy. I don't know why I haven't done this before. And I have leftover buttermilk for pancakes.

I just rediscovered this thread and later I have to read back through it and discover all the ways I could have made it better. But for now the easy culture-and-churn in the mixer is quite good enough.

That sounds great, Seth