SLBunge

Homemade Butter

I have cultured it for as long as 22 hours. If you can bear to, save a little of the buttermilk and use it to culture the next batch.

ETA: In response to omni: I used lowfat yogurt the first time I did it because that is what I was able to get--you need a yogurt with no stabilizers added to it I was told.

I was editing when you posed your question, Omni. I used what I had on hand.

Daisy, I cultured the cream for nearly 24 hours. You can go as long as 36.

was left with nearly a pint of Evans Farms best...the excuse I've been waiting for.

Where do you get this cream?

I get it in Murray's.

was left with nearly a pint of Evans Farms best...the excuse I've been waiting for.

Where do you get this cream?

I get it in Murray's.

Thanks. I just found this from you.

"Murrays, the Bleecker St location."

I got mine at the Murray's Grand Central Market location. I'm not sure who else carries it. It's the best cream I've found recently in NYC. I wouldn't bother making butter with ultra-pasteurized cream, but if you find something else good at Fairway, for example -- go for it. I don't think Ronnybrook is good enough, though. It would certainly make butter, but probably not any better than the premium butters you can buy already made.

Me, neither. The milk comes from Holstein cows, which are good producers of relatively low-fat milk. To make butter, you want milk from Jersey or Guernsey cows.

The Evans Farms cream is so good that it's hard to resist takig a swig right from the bottle.

Better to run a table knife blade round the neck of the bottle and lick the cream off it--that way you get the thick stuff.

:rolleyes: