KRamsey

Mad Men

I was so glad the GF didn't walk into the house, but slowly went home.

I don't think an attorney in the 1960's of the generation he appeared to be would have thought to ask whether she loved Don.

I liked how, once Don had to deal with being found out, the other woman out in the car completely flew out of his mind. He was so totally wrapped up in his immediate problem.

Now, if Joan gets the job with Roger's father [?], will she eventually have to make a choice between the job with its likely opportunities and her husband who once "raped" her.

oh, i don't know about an attorney "of his generation," who also appears to be a friend of the family, not asking her if she loved don, before advising her of her options, and to stay put because of the children. he might have even said "boys will be boys."

i also think the other girl was very much in his mind. he keeps looking out the window and probably called a taxi for her because she gets down from a car and then walks home.

I was so glad the GF didn't walk into the house, but slowly went home.

I don't think an attorney in the 1960's of the generation he appeared to be would have thought to ask whether she loved Don.

I liked how, once Don had to deal with being found out, the other woman out in the car completely flew out of his mind. He was so totally wrapped up in his immediate problem.

Now, if Joan gets the job with Roger's father [?], will she eventually have to make a choice between the job with its likely opportunities and her husband who once "raped" her.

oh, i don't know about an attorney "of his generation," who also appears to be a friend of the family, not asking her if she loved don, before advising her of her options, and to stay put because of the children. he might have even said "boys will be boys."

i also think the other girl was very much in his mind. he keeps looking out the window and probably called a taxi for her because she gets down from a car and then walks home.

I just watched that scene again and Don never looks out the window and the car she gets out of is Don's - because he never comes back out.

It's the most shaken we've ever seen Don and I don't know if "wrapped up" is the right term. He's in complete shock and disbelief.

Two episodes into season 4 and the hook is set firmly in my mouth. They've got me.

I'm beginning to feel sorry for Betty's second husband - I already felt sorry for her kids. Roger continues to have some of the best lines while remaining a complex character. I'm also enjoying the way that they're fleshing out the situation at the new firm.

Is there a less appealing lead character in television than Don Draper? Compared to him Tony Soprano is Bill Cosby. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching the character but he's not a guy I'd like to have a conversation with.

I nominate Lee Garner Jr. as Reptile of the Year.

I think they're pushing the storylines too much. Sure, time has passed since last season (couldn't tell how much). From what we've seen, Betty left Don and married that guy having seen him about 4 times. Maybe women did that back then to get out of a bad marriage. The Lee Garner asshole thing is a little more than what we've seen from him in the past, with no explanation. It was too much of a personal attack on Roger. Don's "slap me" was just stupid. Do they think anyone is scratching their head trying to figure it out? Vincent Kartheiser still acts like he's in a high school play.

I think they're pushing the storylines too much. Sure, time has passed since last season (couldn't tell how much).

The previous season finished up around Christmas of 1963, right after JFK was assassinated. This one picks up in December of 1964.

I think they're pushing the storylines too much. Sure, time has passed since last season (couldn't tell how much). From what we've seen, Betty left Don and married that guy having seen him about 4 times. Maybe women did that back then to get out of a bad marriage. The Lee Garner asshole thing is a little more than what we've seen from him in the past, with no explanation. It was too much of a personal attack on Roger. Don's "slap me" was just stupid. Do they think anyone is scratching their head trying to figure it out? Vincent Kartheiser still acts like he's in a high school play.

Lee Garner made his asshole credentials (imo) last season when he got Sal canned for resisting his advances.

Lee Garner made his asshole credentials (imo) last season when he got Sal canned for resisting his advances.

Of course. But it's one thing to be an asshole out of the spotlight, it's another to publicly humiliate a guy you've been working with for years, seemingly without any provocation or history.

Of course. But it's one thing to be an asshole out of the spotlight, it's another to publicly humiliate a guy you've been working with for years, seemingly without any provocation or history.

He's probably a closet sadist or is insecure & on a power trip, humiliating Roger just because he can. He knows that SCDP need him badly and is the kind of person who would exploit that to the hilt.

I know I'm late in the game, but I'm just watching Season 1 now. I read the discussion on the Pete Campbell character, but I have to ask/add, does the character remind anyone else of the Dave Foley character in News Radio? Every time he comes on, I think "Dave Foley!" and at first I thought he might be Dave Foley's brother or son.

I finally finished season four and I loved it.

Some random thoughts:

-- I love Don and Peggy's relationship, especially when he sees her as a mini-me that he needs to straighten out so he yells at her. The episode where they spent the night in his office was fantastic.

-- Some of my favorite lines are when people "pull a Don" on Don. For example when he was in California and had just learned that Anna had cancer and he was about to go all mental on her caretaker (sister?). The woman stopped him short by saying "you're just the man in a room who writes the checks." :ph43r:

-- Last episode: Why I Quit Tobacco. Gave me chills.

-- He and Megan. Oh what a train-wreck waiting to happen. When he put that engagement ring in his pocket I literally pictured a loaded gun. Faye: "tell her you only like the beginnings." Yup, I predict that Don will be in bed with another woman by episode 2/season 5.

Matthew Weiner is a genius.