Sign in to follow this  
Peter Creasey

Scrambled Eggs

Tap? Last I heard it was a "Public Water Source".

Well, really.

Relatively fast, but over heat no higher than medium-high, otherwise the bottom browns (aka burns): Beat eggs (Plus water sometimes; plus milk sometimes; plus no liquid sometimes. Always plus salt [adding it to the cooked egg doesn't give the dispersion I prefer]. Sometimes plus pepper. Sometimes mixed with a fork; sometimes with a rotary egg beater). Melt butter in pan. Pour in eggs. Let cook until bottom sets a little. Stir and turn over big curds. Remove from heat when still glistening. Eat.

Suzanne, Yes, you have described well my customary strategy for scrambled eggs...with a couple of exceptions -- I add fresh ground pepper rather than salt beforehand and I use bacon drippings to grease the heavy skillet rather than butter.

Everyone seems to mention butter but not bacon drippings. Any particular reason?

Everyone seems to mention butter but not bacon drippings. Any particular reason?

I wouldn't scramble eggs in bacon fat, but I generally like to fry eggs in it.

Wilf - your duck egg, bacon, oyster recipe sounds delicious!

Yeh, my favorite way to cook eggs is over a double boiler with cream.. I like to add tarragon..

One of my favourite ways to eat white truffles is over very slowly cooked, very buttery scrambled eggs. Double boiler/bain marie is very good and paradoxically speeds it up. I have a round bottom bowl with a handle that I use for this and a few other things (hollandaise, melting chocolate etc.)

personally, i don't like to add either cream of water to scrambled eggs.

do i have to go to whole foods to find cream of water?

for those of you who couldn't get enough of tomato water.

Wilf - your duck egg, bacon, oyster recipe sounds delicious!

Traditional San Francisco dish, but I will take credit for the duck eggs.

personally, i don't like to add either cream of water to scrambled eggs.

do i have to go to whole foods to find cream of water?

for those of you who couldn't get enough of tomato water.

I love tomato water, but on the side over ice as the beverage to be served with my creamy scrambled eggs. Oh, and some nice sliced tomatoes alongside.

Be sure to caramelize your morels thoroughly before you add the eggs, too.

and no shallot <_<

Mon dieu!!

SFJoe, permission to use chanterelles instead?

Of course, particularly if you put them in first over high heat, not crowding, and cook them with just a little salt, adding butter when they stop losing liquid, and caramelize them pretty well, too. Let the pan cool before adding the eggs.

all of this is making me want to cook some scrambled eggs over high heat for breakfast.

If you really want to be perverse, you could season them with raw morels.

i made some high heat scrambled eggs a couple of days ago. two eggs beaten with half and half, and salt and pepper. sauteed minced onions in a pan over medium high heat, added some more oil, reduced heat and in went the eggs. waited a bit and then churned 'em up. grated an ungodly amount of manchego cheese, mixed it up. turned a few times over medium heat and removed. very good.

Turns the eggs brown.