mongo_jones

what beers are you drinking?

industrial arts brewing power tool india pale ale - 7.1% abv. this is the larger version of IA's 4.9% abv power tools, which is a simple but very pleasant hoppy pale ale that was my go to at places like the alamo. the larger version tastes like they actually used extra malt to get the higher abv (as opposed to dextrose or whatever goes into the ne stuff), and it's funny how wrong that can taste in ipas nowadays. this isn't really as malty as the older beers are, it's a light yellow color that doesn't have any of the orange or amber that you'd see in something like two hearted, but it does lead with sweet malt and the citrus and pine that follow aren't as well developed as the way I remember two hearted at it's best. I bought this because I thought it would be interesting to see if I still liked what I assumed would be a well made example of an older style ipa, but this is sweeter than a ne ipa and a lot less bitter than the older ones, and while this isn't horrible I'll reach for wrench next time I'm at the supermarket.

On 5/1/2020 at 1:11 AM, AaronS said:

hill farmstead society & solitude #6 imperial  india pale ale - crowler, 8% abv. this one is brewed "almost exclusively" with hand selected mosaic. this is a great example of why hill farmstead is my favorite brewer that's readily available on draft in ny, although they probably wouldn't have sent kegs to the place I got this crowler before the current situation. this is exactly why I like their stuff - this a text book ne style dipa - lots of soft fruit flavors with almost nothing else, although there is a small amount of really well done malt flavors in the finish. there's a really nice set of the tropical fruit flavors you always get in this kind of beer, only it's more nuanced than usual and it has some peach and none of the berry notes you often get with mosaic. one of my favorite other half beers is an all mosaic dipa with a similar abv (ddh double mosaic dream), which is a lot sweeter and bigger than this, but less nuanced. that beer has a ton of berry in it, and it's hard to believe they're both mostly mosaic. this type of beer is the height of the current ipa fad for me, I've had good examples of the fruited and oat cream/milkshake/lactose styles that came after this kind of beer, but I'd say that this is both the best type of american double ipa currently made and the one of the better examples of it that I've had, although I'd like to have double galaxy again blah blah blah.

eta: my strongest recommendation.

Where'd you get it? I can't seem to find any places that sell it near me in the West Village.

I got that at 209 station in south slope/windsor terrace. hill farmstead didn't sell to places that offered tap beer to go before the crisis. but things change and even they have to had to bend their rules and getting their stuff is a little easier than it was before.

what neighborhoods are convenient to you? beermenus is always best but I may be able to help a little.

also I haven't had a bad beer from them and I wouldn't worry about which pale ale/ipa/dipa you can find at any given moment. I don't know their beer well enough to say whether there are any real standouts, but my impression is that it's all different versions of the same excellent thing.

finback orange cream crush dipa with vanilla and orange, dry hopped with citra and nelson - 8% abv. there's a few basic things to get out of the way here - I read the label before I bought it, and I know that it will be more or less as described. I think the basic questions are - does this taste like soda? and is that a good thing? so this has a nicely done combination of orange, vanilla, lactose, mango, and hops, and that's bitter enough that I'm confident in saying it's not cloying, although all the antipodean baking shows I've been watching with my kids make me wonder if praising a beer like this is any different from saying "this is an excellent cake for children." I can't say I didn't enjoy it.

9 hours ago, AaronS said:

I got that at 209 station in south slope/windsor terrace. hill farmstead didn't sell to places that offered tap beer to go before the crisis. but things change and even they have to had to bend their rules and getting their stuff is a little easier than it was before.

what neighborhoods are convenient to you? beermenus is always best but I may be able to help a little.

also I haven't had a bad beer from them and I wouldn't worry about which pale ale/ipa/dipa you can find at any given moment. I don't know their beer well enough to say whether there are any real standouts, but my impression is that it's all different versions of the same excellent thing.

I'm at the intersection of West Village/Chelsea/Meatpacking, but I'm happy to walk pretty much anywhere south of 34th. Lots of free time these days....

beermenus actually only shows things in brooklyn, which is surprising to me. I would think milk and hops would have some eventually, and I’ve had their beer at the 8th ave coopers location.

Thanks for checking. I've been getting Suarez delivered through the mail, which has been great, and Whole Foods had Other Half Green City and Forever Ever yesterday, which seems like a new development.

finback six year triple india pale ale triple ipa with citra, mosaic, meridian, azaaca, and cryo centennial - 10.1% abv. I had high hopes for this, some breweries save their best recipes for releases like this and I thought that the cryo version of the old school hop might be distinctive, but this is a surprisingly bitter version of the same orange/mango/whatever fruit profile that so many similar beers have. there's a hint of alcohol, which doesn't help, but their slightly older colleagues on the other side of the canal would have made this overly sweet instead of overly bitter, which is the better flaw in my opinion. 

other half ta dow imperial india pale ale - 9.1% abv. this was brewed at the rochester oh location, and while I’d love to be able to say whether there’s a difference between the brooklyn and upstate oh locations this beer doesn’t taste any different from any of the hundreds of other similar beers I’ve had over the last few years. it’s a little too bitter, there’s not enough juice, blah blah blah. the abv is almost certainly as described.

15 hours ago, sweatshorts said:

Thanks for checking. I've been getting Suarez delivered through the mail, which has been great, and Whole Foods had Other Half Green City and Forever Ever yesterday, which seems like a new development.

there’s rotating other half and finback delivery, and you can get equilibrium, evil twin nyc, and probably a lot of other stuff in the mail.

I’ve got threes to deliver to me, and I’ll definitely get the next set of suarez cans.

oxbow luppolo dry hopped pils - 5% abv. this is an italian style pilsner from one of the more sophisticated breweries available here, most of their stuff is the kind of adult beer that I'm not quite ready for, and while I haven't posted about it much I was always happy to have it when I could go to bars. this is their take on birrificio italiano's tipopils, which is a dry hopped pilsner that has been copied enough to create it's own sub-style, most famously by firestone walker's pivo pils. that's a great beer that I'm always happy to see at the store if it's remotely fresh, and as much as I like that beer this is a good illustration of the difference between the best mass produced stuff and what a really first rate craft brewer can do. this was made with unspecified european malts and noble hops, and it pours a straw yellow color that's hazy enough to show that this is unfiltered. the taste is a mixture of really, really, really well done malt notes (biscuit, pilsner malt, some graininess) and some slightly lemony hop notes that half a little bit of the usual noble hop  grassy spice underneath. it's really, really, really well made, there's no off flavors, and the few things that are here work together perfectly, and it has the kind of nuanced simplicity that makes really great beer so easy to drink. the only possible complaint I could have is the price, which is true to it's italian roots I guess. I have a few other local lagers in the fridge that I intended to compare to the new suarez can release, but I didn't try to order it in time. I assumed that the suarez stuff would clean the floor with everything else, but this might be pretty close. strongly recommended.

Just out of ignorance, as someone who only knows bad lowgrade Italian beer, what are the characteristics of a good Italian beer (I can kind of glean that from your write-up, but would love a specific statement so I can tell if I was right)?  Who are good Italian producers?

I think the only style that’s distinctively italian is the pilsner, the one you want is the tipo pils. it’s occasionally available through the b-united tanker project, I’ll post about it the next time I find some. goldstar should have it when available.

as I said I don’t really know what sets them apart from the other good eurocraft beer that was around at the time, except for generally very high quality, a willingness to experiment with odd ingredients in traditional styles, and a willingness to use hops in a kind of american way, which is probably what I’d say about danish beer from the same time period, only I guess you didn’t see as much stupidly high abv beer. there was a huge variety of styles available here at one point, everything from the hoppy pils and ipas to the faux natural wine barrel aged stuff, along with a lot of saisons and sours. the beer I’m thinking of was all imported by b-united and available at the old beer table, franny’s, and  eataly. birrificio italiano, who makes typo pils, and baladin are probably the most famous and easiest to find, but del ducato, birra del borgo, and almond 22 were pretty well represented here at one point. birra del borgo has an “re extra” ipa that was often on draft and in bottles at frannys, it’s very likely that you had some then. that was as good or better than any locally made ipa around the time that flower power was your best local option.

apart from the tanker project stuff it’s hard to recommend that kind of beer in NY now unless it’s on draft, the surge of local brewers has pushed all that stuff out of the market and the bottles just sit now. the one thing I’d buy if I saw it is baladin’s xyauyu barley wine, which is deliberately oxidized and is somewhere between a barley wine and a sherry. that was on wd-50’s dessert menu for a while and the bottle I had there is still the most expensive bottle of beer I’ve drank. retail should be mid 40s, but I’d really only recommend that to someone who loves barley wine. apart from that beer I don’t like baladin as much as some of the others, but their soda is really nice and would probably be terrific in cocktails.

I guess I should add that tipo pils is very much an "american" take on pils, it's extremely overhopped compared to the german and czech beers that came before it, but the use of noble hops keeps it closer to a traditional pilsner than the mosaic and citra hopped pilsners the cook kids make.

finback wellspring pilsner naturally carbonated pilsner dry hopped with tettnanger - 5.4% abv. this definitely exceeded my expectations, finback isn't known for their pilsners and few that I've had weren't that great, and a lot of the recent ones have used american hops. this is actually a lot like last night's beer, only a little less so. there's the same basic combination of pilsner malt and light citrus, only the grain notes are less pronounced and the citrus has some orange and lime zest in it. this is hoppier than a regular pilsner, but not as hoppy as the luppolo that I had last night or tipo pils, but I guess I'd say it's an italian style pilsner. whatever it is is very good, it's got a lot more citrus than the suarez ones, but it's very clean and the few simple flavors are really well done and I hope they make this regularly. this, and the beer above it, really reaffirm my disappointment with three's vilet, more on that over the next few days. anyways this is recommended.