what beers are you drinking?

Black is Beautiful Stout by Kent Falls. I haven't been able to get my hands on this yet but I most definitely will:

· 
Black is Beautiful.
A collaborative effort to raise awareness for the injustice people of color face daily and raise funds for police brutality reform and legal defenses for those who have been wronged.
Our version is a double mash stout packed with Thrall Family Malt 2 row, and specialty grains from Valley Malt and New York Craft Malt. Rich dark chocolate and fudge and hints of coffee permeate throughout.
Available this weekend for barnside pickup with limited distribution the week of October 5th.
100% of the proceeds from the sale of our Black Is Beautiful beer will be donated to the Know Your Rights Campaign and the Northeast Farmers of Color Land Trust. We're proud to be a part of this incredible community effort and thankful for Weathered Souls Brewing initiative.
Know Your Rights Campaign mission is to advance the liberation and well-being of Black and Brown communities through education, self-empowerment, mass-mobilization and the creation of new systems that elevate the next generation of change leaders.
The Northeast Farmers of Color Land Trust (NEFOC LT) is a hybrid model land trust, bringing together a community land trust commons model for farmland preservation and a conservation land trust model to conserve and steward ecosystems with the goal of manifesting a community vision that uplifts regenerative global Indigenous, Black, and POC relationships with land, skills, and lifeways.
  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tonigt: full moon belgian white ale--it is not really belgian, but a belgian style witbier from the mudshark brewery based in arizona. i quote my beeradvocate.com review:   looks very nice in the gl

Click. Way too young. And let's not forget his great whisky writings.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oberon but it seems the most accessible for the masses so it is the one that is most often on tap. It is a summer beer most change out to Pale Ale for the fall/winter (I lik

Posted Images

other half small riwaka everything india pale ale - 6.5% abv. riwaka is a new zealand hop that's been around since 1997 but is reportedly almost impossible for american breweries to get in quantity, hill farmstead posted something on their social media a year or so ago about a new contract with someone down there and has started making a pale ale with it. I bet that's sublime, but haven't come across it yet. this is the fifth beer other half has released with it, I was upset I missed the double ipa they released not so long ago and unaware of the other three. anyways, this is really nice. it's soft the way the my favorite ne style hoppy beer is, and there's a really pleasant mixture of passion fruit and citrus, only not as bitter as that sounds. the commercial description says kumquat, which I guess is right, but again it's not that bitter. this tastes like a good version of the typical nelson flavor profile with the white wine dialed way down. this also has some really nice melon notes in the finish, which are a hallmark of the best examples of this kind of beer no matter what kind of hops they are made with (I guess it's the yeast) and so on and on. strongly recommended.

thanks for your post AB, I'm going to foxface soon, which will be the furthest I've been from my apartment since march.

North Coast's Le Merle (the blackbird), their version of a Belgian-style farmhouse ale (saison).  At 7.9% ABV, this would not have been drunk by your farmhand working the fields, but it had a lovely depth without crossing over into funky.

finback ultimate beats double india pale ale dipa with coconut and dry hopped with mosaic. brewed in collaboration with j. wakefield. - 9.1% abv. as the name suggests this is the larger version of an older collaboration with miami's j wakefield, who are known for their adjuncts. the smaller version is really nice, and this is more of the same. it's a little bit more bitter than the base version, but these cans are only two days old and I usually sit on double ipas for a few weeks. anyways this has a nice mixture of coconut, pineapple, and a little bit of the berry note you sometimes get from mosaic, as well as a fair amount of bitterness. this is a really nice use of adjuncts, it makes sense with the flavor profile, and if I had this blind I would probably guess this was all sabro (a hop that tastes like coconut) and so on... mildly recommended.

finback wellspring: meridian pilsner pilsner traditionally carbonated and dry hopped with meridian - 5.4% abv. this is another entry in finback's ongoing series of pilsners that combine traditional carbonation with new school hops. I chose to google the hops this time, and found a lovely story about a series of hops that were develop on behalf of ab because fuggles, which is used in a lot of truly old english beers, has a hard time growing in the us. apparently ab went with a different hop, and when they revived it in 2011 they found out it had turned into something completely different. so this has a clean set of slightly sweet pilsner malt notes that turn into melon, lime, and a small amount of orange. this is well put together and extremely quaffable. I really like this.

lawson's finest liquids hopzilla double ipa - 8.7% abv. I've post about this before, but all the three floyd's I've had recently rekindled my interest in older style hoppy beer and I was happy to see reasonably fresh cans of vermont made lawson's at the grocery store, which would have been remarkable not so long ago. anyways this is more or less the way I remember it, there's the classic combination of bitter pine and fruit, only you get some berry, stone fruit, and tea flavors. this tastes like a better made version of something you'd get from stone. recommended to myself.

finback spaced in time ddh double india pale ale ddh dipa dry hopped with citra, blanc, azaaca, mosaic and amarillo - 8.3% abv. finback makes good double ipas. finback makes double ipas that are usually more bitter than ones you get from other half. other half makes good double ipas. other half makes double ipas that are sweeter than the finback ones. finback almost always has a well designed label. other half has a well designed label about half of the time. over time I have drank a lot more double ipas from other half than I have from finback and they are mostly the same. recently I have been drinking more double ipas from finback than I have from other half and they are mostly the same. every wednesday I go to somewhere that's a five minute walk from finback's president street location. other half is a half hour walk from my apartment. this tastes like citrus rind, stone fruit, and the usual tropical fruit, and there's the tea like effect you get when one of these kind of beers is this bitter. so orange rind and peach and tea, with a little mango.

transmitter L3 italian pilsner - 4.8% abv. I'm not sure why I never drink transmitter, especially since their new location is walkable for me, but this is one of my favorite styles and I'm happy I picked this up. it's made with actual italian malt and unspecified noble hops. this isn't as hoppy as your typical italian pilsner, but this is a delicious well made beer that has a really nuanced set of malt notes and slightly sweet lemon notes in the finish. I can't find anything to confirm this but I'd be surprised if this was fermented with a typical lager yeast, or maybe something got into the tanks, blah blah blah. whether or not that's right there's a lot of depth of flavor here for the abv, the finish has some pear and champagne like qualities that really set this apart. strongly recommended.

industrial arts brewing company state of the art orange dipa - 8.7% abv. this tastes like oranges I guess, but more like the rind than the juice you'd expect in a modern double ipa. there's some sweet malt notes, but if there are hop flavors here they're all bitter citrus. I thought I had figured out that the ideal age for a double ipa is about two weeks, which is precisely where this is, but maybe that rule doesn't apply to fruited one? I guess inconsistency has been a part of what IA is doing for a while now, but this is mildly disappointing. meh meh meh.

eta: so I've drank another can or two of this, and the usual citra/mosiac flavor profile that a lot of IA beers have has appeared, and there's some nice honeydew/melon stuff under the bitterness now, but as is always true it's hard to give credit to something that tastes better when you've been drinking and so on. recommended to the committed I guess.

finback reaching skyward mixed culture sour ale with peaches - 9% abv. finback is towards the top of the local pile for most of the things they do, although I think the stouts are the only place that you'd put them first. this is pretty good given that it's only the second oak aged sour beer they've released. it starts out with a bright set of peach notes mixed with the champagne like end of the brett spectrum, which gives way to some oaky notes that are a little too astringent for me. this is a pretty high abv for the style, which probably makes it easier to sell at a fair price, but there's no apparent alcohol blah blah. this isn't as clean as the best examples of the style, but there's a little more depth here than I noticed at first and so on.

industrial arts brewing company yes farms, yes beer new york state grown hazy india pale ale - 6% abv. this is exactly what you hope you're gonna get when you buy industrial arts - a clean, well made hoppy beer that's easy to enjoy. they've made this a few times, and I think I remember seeing something about a more traditional hop bill, but I can't find it now, and... the lemon meringue and pineapple mentioned in the commercial description is dead on, and there's a moderate amount of bitterness and some stone fruit in the finish, along with some weird citrus. this is one of the better beers I've had from IA. recommended.

finback compatible india pale ale ipa dry hopped with all the hops - 5% abv. drinking this back to back is with last night's industrial art's beer, this is definitely a newer style beer in some ways, there's more of the southern hemisphere/tropical fruit thing going on, but it's also surprisingly bitter for something with this low abv. there's nothing wrong with this I guess, but last night's beer was a lot more enjoyable, and shows why I'm increasingly drawn to older style beer.