what beers are you drinking?

Participating in a Virtual Oktoberfest meant receiving several Oktoberfest and fall pumpkin beers, along with a plastic stein and a soft pretzel.  (And strangely, a Paulaner Radler, which is definitely a summer beer.)  We cracked open two beers: Alesmith's Märzen to go with the pretzel and Two Roads Brewing's Roadsmary's Baby. The Märzen could not be more classic--caramelly and malty.  The Roadsmary's Baby really surprised us as to how good and balanced it is.  The spicing is not overwhelming, and I could taste the molasses from the aging in rum barrels.  Two Road is out of Stratford, CT, so normally hard to find out here but probably easier for East Coast folks.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tonigt: full moon belgian white ale--it is not really belgian, but a belgian style witbier from the mudshark brewery based in arizona. i quote my beeradvocate.com review:   looks very nice in the gl

Click. Way too young. And let's not forget his great whisky writings.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oberon but it seems the most accessible for the masses so it is the one that is most often on tap. It is a summer beer most change out to Pale Ale for the fall/winter (I lik

Posted Images

Radler isn’t a summer beer, it’s lager mixed with sprite. It is ok to order when it’s your second liter of the evening but at that point you anyway just want to catch a subway before the closing rush. 

there's a couple pre-made juice and pils or juice and hefe mixes sold as radlers in the us. the schofferhoffer one they have at the place in fort greene (and many grocery stores) is tasty.

Lager + lemon soda = Radler 

Pilsner + lemon soda = Alsterwasser 

Weizen + lemon soda = Russ'n 

The first two mainly reflect that north German beers tend to be Pilsners, whereas southern German beers tend to be Lager (Helles) so you would always order a Radler in the South and an Alster in the North. There are other regional variations with different types of soda. 

I only ever had the grapefruit version in the US -- a place in San Diego that had (Austrian) Stiegl. I liked it a lot but the Germans were horrified and I've never seen it in Austria.

Alsterwasser. Mmmm. Summer. Gotta first beat the carbonation outta the 7-Up equivalent before adding the beer vom Fass. Best enjoyed at that outdoor bar place, ovs, on the (Innen-) Alster. Go there every time I'm in town.

6 hours ago, Behemoth said:

I only ever had the grapefruit version in the US -- a place in San Diego that had (Austrian) Stiegl. I liked it a lot but the Germans were horrified and I've never seen it in Austria.

Pretty sure this is what Cafe Katja has - along with the Austrian Stiegl.

three floyd's permanent funeral pale ale - 10.5% abv. I think my initial reaction to three floyd's arrival in new york was probably overly negative. I've developed a renewed appreciation for their stuff over the last few weeks, and I can't think of any other brewery available in this market that can make big beers that tastes like both malt and hops at this level. the internet tells me this is all citra, which is in some ways surprising because their other all citra pale ale, zombie dust, has some of the tropical fruit/pineapple you associate with citra that's totally absent here. this is a huge, huge beer that starts out with a big hit of bitter citrus, pine, and malt, which eventually gives way to melon, papaya, bitter orange, and maybe some peach in the finish. the alcohol is pretty well hidden, although I'd be shocked if this was 8% given how big it is. there's a really remarkable amount of detail here, and while it stays within the familiar bounds of citrus, stone fruit, pine, and melon the depth of flavor here is really great. this is by far the best example of this kind of old school double or triple ipa I've had in at least 15 years, blah blah blah and blah. my strongest recommendation, although I know people with good taste who won't like this and so on and on and also on.

• Like 1

oec brewing aether dry hopped sour ale - 6% abv. oec is the connecticut based brewery run by b-united, who import the euro craft stuff that the shelton brothers don't. this one has a base of wheat and oats, was lightly hopped in the boil and then dry hopped as it fermented in oak. the side of the can says that this is supposed to decrease the amount of acid given off by the yeast, and it also says to drink fresh. these cans are about two months old, which is really old for something that I haven't aged on purpose, so I don't know how hoppy this was when it was meant to be drunk. as it is now this all brett that's just barely on the right side of the bright/acidic line, and there's a lot going on here. there's some tangerine at first, some white wine, grapefruit, and a lot of well done brett notes. the hops have receded enough that this basically drinks like a citrus geuze at this point. this is terrific, and it's really frustrating to me that a brewery that's three miles closer to here than kent falls can't show up in a timely fashion blah blah blah. 

eta: no longer recommended after the logsdon below.

logsdon mikkeller san diego stems & stones oak aged wild ale - 7.3% abv, bottled 8/9/2019. this is a mixture of 18 month old spontaneously fermented beer, half of which was aged in oak with second use syrah grapes in it, while the oak used on the other half had yummy beaut plums. (I think that's a kind of plum, not their descriptor.) the beer was made by logdson outside portland, but was selected by someone from mikkeller sd. the difference between this and last night's beer is pretty striking - the extra time that this spent in barrels really paid off and this is both a lot more approachable and has a lot more depth to it. there's an underlying malt sweetness that keeps this from coming off like a bretty wine, although I think the body is heavy enough to know that it's beer. the bubble gum and peach mentioned on the label are definitely the dominant flavors, and there's some terrific sharp brett notes in the finish. recommended, but as always with this stuff I'd be very interested to know what someone who drinks wine would say about this.

evil twin brewing westbrook brewing co. ofymd maple bourbon barrel aged imperial maple stout pina colada style stout with pineapple and coconut aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels - brewed at westbrook in north carolina, 12.8% abv. I like this kind of beer at this point I guess, although it's hard to say if I'd still prefer the westbrook/evil twin version of these kind of silly stouts if I'd had more of the ones that the beer trading community value. anyways... this is very much as described - you get all the adjuncts at first and then it's mostly smokey bourbon flavors with the maple underneath and there is some booze in the finish. there's some vague roasted malt flavor here, but the overall result is beer like and the transition between the pina colada flavors and the bourbon is pretty pleasant. recommended to idiots.

allagash moselle farmhouse-style lager - 6% abv. a few years ago there were a lot of breweries who only distributed in their home markets and nyc, which is less and less true as the local options improve, which is great for some things but lessens our options for others. allagash still sells beer here, of course, but there special products are getting harder and harder to find and it’s been a few years since I was able to buy all of their special releases. things like confluence haven’t come back, but this is the second lager with weird yeast from allagash that’s come around recently. this was clearly made with a nice example of belgian style saison yeast and pilsner malt, which really work well together, and the commercial description mentions some tropical fruit in the finish, but in addition to the sabro hop profile there’s some clove and maybe vanilla and whatever they used this is a really nice example of what I assume is a clever use of yeast and hops. I really like this. recommended plus.