what beers are you drinking?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tonigt: full moon belgian white ale--it is not really belgian, but a belgian style witbier from the mudshark brewery based in arizona. i quote my beeradvocate.com review:   looks very nice in the gl

Click. Way too young. And let's not forget his great whisky writings.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oberon but it seems the most accessible for the masses so it is the one that is most often on tap. It is a summer beer most change out to Pale Ale for the fall/winter (I lik

Posted Images

finback orca: strawberry barrel-aged imperial stout with strawberry and vanilla - 13% abv. this one really works for me. finback always does a good job with barrel ages stouts, and this has the kind of big, rich flavors you want from a stout, etc etc. there's a huge set of sweet berry/vanilla flavors in-between the roasted malt/cocoa flavors it starts with and the barrel in the finish, and while vanilla is an obvious pairing with the bourbon flavors the strawberry works too, yada, yada, yada... I guess the difference between this and the beer above it is that while I guess I agree neither one really needs to exist this is actually a pleasant beverage that still tastes a little bit like beer. recommended to myself.

omnipollo ice creamy white chocolate mango triple india pale ale brewed with cocoa nibs, white chocolate, mango, and lactose sugar - 10% abv, brewed by twelve percent, north haven connecticut. omnipollo was at the forefront of any number of current trends, and while it's been hard to their influence as positive for a really long time now I mostly enjoy their stuff and I was excited to find freshish cans of one of their ice cream beers. the ice cream series is a lot newer than the milk shake style ipa that they created with tired hands, and while I'm not sure what the difference is this definitely has the look and mouthfeel of a milkshake ipa. the real shock here is that it's extremely bitter by any standard, which is confusing for a lot of reasons. the first is that the combination of harsh bitterness and mango makes is somewhat reminiscent of hops, even if the effect is a lot like what you got with the bad crop of galaxy that was around a few years ago. it also seems like apparent alcohol at times, which seems unlikely given how strong the rest of the flavors are and the technical proficiency of both the twelve percent facility that made this and omnipollo, and there's the weird burn that you sometimes get with poorly made mango ipas, and so on... so basically you open the can and expect a rich set of sweet adjuncts only to get hit in the face with a bunch of bitter fruit. the end result is pretty similar to an old school triple ipa from somewhere like stone - once you get past the enormous amount of bitterness there's a lot of fruit, only there's some white chocolate here along with some guava and orange. this is clearly in the "silly buy good" category, at least for me, and whether or not it's intentional I'm surprised how well something that's probably a flaw improves this kind of beer. recommended to myself, but not mitchells, or any reasonable adult.

j wakefield the crib ddh hazy double india pale ale - 8% abv. this is a straight up the middle ne style dipa from the makers of haterade. this appears to be a collaboration with a store that makes miami hurricanes branded clothing, and apparently they chose citra, galaxy, and amarillo to pair with the big game against clemson. this is pretty well done, it's moderately bitter and has a nice version of the familiar mixture of citrus, tropical fruit, and stone fruit flavors that have the slightly caramelized overtones you get when the sweetness is swell integrated with the fruit and so on. this one is more good than interesting.

finback oscillation 22 india pale ale - they don't state the abv but I think the other beers in this series are usually 8.5% and that seems right. this version uses sabro, citra, idaho 7, and the new experimental hop 472, which is apparently a sabro descendant. I've missed a lot of the beers in this series, which goes back to 2017, but if this is typical I've been missing out. this has a really nice set of citrus flavors (tangerine) that transition nicely into the expected pineapple and coconut along with some peach and more tangerine. it's definitely true that the vast majority of these beers are very similar, but as oakapple would say if there are 10 things 5 of them are below average and this isn't one of them. recommended.

finback suspended animation double india pale ale with aprict DIPA with apricot dry hopped with mosaic and el dorado. brewed in collaboration with 4 hands. google tells me 4 hands is a saint louis brewery.  this is a solid new style dipa that tastes a lot like apricots, and while it's pretty bitter I think you could tell it was made with juice if you tasted it blind. meh.

westbrook brewing co. brewed in collaboration with evil twin brewing at westbrook brewing co. mount pleasant, sc do you like spicy nachos? amarone inspired blended belgian-style strong dark ale aged in port, bourbon, marsala, and cabernet barrels with raisins, cherries, and black currants - 12% abv. I usually like the barrel aged beer westbrook makes for evil twin, even if the concept often seems silly or just plain bad. so this has the qualities you often get in their barrel aged beer - thin mouthfeel, a real variety of deep barrel aged flavors, some apparent alcohol, and some of the qualities listed on the label - the barrel aged stuff that this opens with (marsala, port, a little bourbon) gives way to some bright fruit flavors that have more barrel underneath. there's a fair amount of apparent alcohol, which may be appropriate given what this is supposed to taste like, and so on and on. I liked the bba pina colada stout a lot more.

• 2 weeks later...

fat orange cat brewing I don't like mondays new england style india pale ale - brewed at two roads, 12% abv. fat orange cat a twelve percent brewing project brand that's been around for a few years, long enough that they're still making beer in silkscreened cans at two roads. you can tell this recipe is pretty old for a ne ipa too, it's a clear gold that's not the slightest bit hazy and you can (gasp) taste some malt here. it's hopped with galaxy, simcoe, and mosaic, and there's a generic version of the usual tropical stuff that's slightly bitter, and the overall effect is a lot more like sip of sunshine than the typical ne ipa nowadays. that comparison isn't meant to be pejorative, but this is really not that good and I bet these are older than I thought they were at first.

Finally got a winner in the flavored beers category: Piston PUMP-kin Spiced Porter, from Garage Brewing down in Temecula.  Not sweet at all, even with the chocolate notes--rather bitter with a little bit of an edge from whatever spices they were using.  A good example of what a pumpkin beer should be, and nice on a cold winter's night.

Next up: we have a Virtual Brewfest tonight, featuring only beers from Rogue Brewery in Oregon.  Will give a report on 2 of the 10 that came in the box.

omnipollo bianca blueberry maple chocolate peanut butter pancake lassi gose sour ale with blueberries, cacao nibs, peanut flour, vanilla & maple syrup added - brewed by omnipollo at deproefbrowerij, lochristi, belgium, 7% abv. this pours a really nice shade of purple that stays opaque when held up to the light, and the large head is a nice shade of purple. it starts out with a big set of slightly tart blueberry notes, and then the maple, "pancake" notes show up in the finish, and there's just a little bit of cacao in the finish. this is really extremely well done, all of the flavors work together and you notice different things with each sip, vanilla and maple come in and out, and while this doesn't taste like a gose (arguably the least beer like traditional beer) there is a slightly tart salinity underneath all of it. this is probably the best argument I've had for this kind of "beer" yet. I don't need to have something else like this anytime soon, but I enjoyed this a lot for better or worse and so on.

That beer sounds too ongepotchket for me.

The Rogue beers we had last night were Batsquatch, a hazy IPA, and Dead Guy Ale, a maibock that's their most famous brew.  We had the Batsquatch first; it started off bitter, but those harsher edges got rounded, keeping it from getting off-balanced.  We should have led with the Dead Guy Ale, because while it had a nice maltiness, it seemed a little wan after the IPA.  (We did wait about 20 minutes between the beers.)  Two down, eight more to go, along with the haul from Almanac and the other random beers we have (like the Lindeman's Kriek.)

blaugies hill farmstead la vermontoise - brewed at brasserie de blaugies, dour, belgium, 6% abv. they’ve been making this one for a long time, and it was the most common hill farmstead beer in nyc bars for a while. it’s a spelt saison made with amarillo hops, which wasn’t retro when it was first made, but this is all about the terrific strain of farmhouse yeast they used.  the beer starts out with typical belgian yeast spice, with some nice grain notes underneath, and then there’s some lemon, grassy american hops, and a little bit of sweetness. there’s a slight hint of brett that may or may not be here, but the beer definitely has the depth of flavor that good brett beer does. every aspect of this is well done blah blah blah. recommended.

other half more strata than all strata imperial india pale ale - 10.5% abv, brewed at the original brooklyn location. there's a nice interview on trillium's instagram page where sam richardson, other half's head brewer, says that strata is one of the new hops that's gonna start to take on same kind of importance that citra used to. I don't think I've had a single hopped strata beer before, and I was nice to see it featured in one of other half's better single hop recipes. (the HCDC citra one I had on tap in another life is probably the best beer from them I've had.) google tells me that strata is descended from perle, which doesn't mean much to me, but this is very distinctive and works well with the relatively sweet finish that you expect from other half. it starts out with a bunch of grapefruit and citrus that immediately gives way to a bunch of something that other half calls strawberry, which right I guess, but there's some weird figoea like stuff in the middle and some melon and candied lychee in the finish, along with some bitterness and a small amount of resin. other half really has their triple ipas down at this point, and there's no booze or direct malt presence here, and it has the sweetness that's one of their trademarks at this point. recommended.

other half lACE'd in space imperial india pale ale phantasm experimental version - brewed at the original location in brooklyn, 8.5% abv. as the name may suggest this one is a combination of their all citra ACE and the all galaxy space diamonds, only this time they added phantasm powder, which is apparently made from savignon blanc grapes and is rich in thiols. google tells me this has something to do with the way they make gass smell odd, are often found in garlic, and are known for strong smells. I haven't had any of the other version of laced in space, but I have had ace and space diamonds, and a lot of other beer made with citra and galaxy. (other half has made that combination a few times, but I'm not finding a review here and the labels don't look familiar.) so with that in mind this isn't the way I would guess it would be without phantasm powder, there's a combination of the sweet fruit you would expect with some vegetal stuff (celery?) and really bad white wine. the celery thing isn't bad, but I'd be surprised if this is better than it would be without the phantasm powder. I'm sure they'll figure out how to use it, but this isn't as exciting as the early other half stuff made with cryo hops or icognito was, and I won't mention the way that the secondary market makes it hard to tell which one of the literally forty ipas you can get from other half these days will be good.