what beers are you drinking?

other half greenbacks double dry hopped india pale ale - brewed at the original brooklyn location, 6.8% abv. this was originally brewed for fifth anniversary of mission dolores, the great beer bar at 4th and carrol. I remember thinking it was one of the better beers they had released at that point, and while I won’t pretend to have an exact memory of the way it tasted I would be shocked if they were capable of making a good example of soft ne style beer in 2015. this is one of the less aggressive  oh beers I’ve had in a while, there’s a very mild set of the usual flavors, a pleasant bit of melon in the finish, and no direct malt. this is a lot closer to a hill farmstead beer than wrench, which is big praise and whether or not the current release has anything to do with the original this is very nice. recommended.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tonigt: full moon belgian white ale--it is not really belgian, but a belgian style witbier from the mudshark brewery based in arizona. i quote my beeradvocate.com review:   looks very nice in the gl

Click. Way too young. And let's not forget his great whisky writings.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oberon but it seems the most accessible for the masses so it is the one that is most often on tap. It is a summer beer most change out to Pale Ale for the fall/winter (I lik

Posted Images

In trying to determine which of our beers would go with the barbecue takeout (NOT the fruity sours), we hit upon North Coast's Brother Thelonious, a Belgian abbey-style ale.  At 9.4% ABV, with a rich maltiness and a hint of bitterness, you would be justified in thinking it would be well-suited to a contemplative sip by the fire, but it held up very well to the powerful spice, smoke, and vinegar from this particular BBQ place (subtlety isn't their hallmark).  The lager we originally were thinking of would have totally gotten lost, the only darker beers we have are pumpkin porters and imperial stouts, and we'd had a DIPA the evening before so I wasn't really feeling up for another IPA.

harvey's christmas ale - 7.5% abv. this is a nice reminder that the american way isn't the only way that you can hop a beer to death. this is nice amber brown, a little bit darker than sierra's celebration, and starts out with a light version of the kind of caramel and raisin you get in a barley wine, which if followed by some herbal hint and a mild amount of sweetness. this is really nice, and may not even be as old as you expect european beer to be here. recommended.

logsdon farmhouse ales far west vlaming organic oak aged tart red ale - 6.5% abv. logsdon is a portland, oregon area brewery that makes great european style bretty beer. this is their version of west-flangers style red ale, mostly commonly represented by rodenbach or dutchess de bourgone in the use. the cheapest rodenbach isn't that exciting, but the tap version and most of the special release are terrific and I have a real love for this style. these beers are blends of old and new beers that are aged in oak barrels with a mixture of lacto and other kinds of yeast, and the belgian ones usually taste like they were made with cherries. this is closer to vinegar, in a pleasant way, and has some pear and maybe raspberry notes underneath that work well with the sweet malt notes and brett that show up in the finish. this is pretty different from the more fruit forward rodenbachs that I'm used to, but this is enjoyable if not quite as much as the more brett focused beer I've had from logsdon. mildly recommended.

stillwater new sensation double dry hopped international pale ale - brewed in north haven connecticut by the 12% beer project, 7.6% abv. what happened to stillwater? their pace of releases has really slowed over the last year or two, and the few that I've had the opportunity to buy have been hard seltzers and india pale hard seltzers. I just looked at their instagram to get the specs for this beer and there's a bunch of new activity, including some reimagined versions of their early saisons. apparently this one uses european malts, domestic flaked grains, scandinavian kveik yeast, and was dry hopped with american (citra, sabro), german (halleratu blanc), and austrailian (galaxy) hops. so this is the kind of beer you can get from a lot of places now, but the 12% beer project makes good stuff and this is pretty tasty. this is pretty opaque and the mouthfeel is a littler thicker than your usual ne ipa, and it has a nice creamy set of tropical fruit with the coconut flavors you get from sabro. I guess making this kind of beer is a prerequisite for any brewery nowadays, and they can certainly do it pretty well, and I hope it means they're back and so on and also on.

de dolle oerbier special reserva brewed in 2017 aged in oak barrels, refermented in bottle - 13% abv. de dolle has been a part of the b-united portfolio for a long time, this is the barrel aged version of their original beer. their importer's website is unclear about what kind of barrels this was aged in, it says both calvados and bordeau wine, but it really tastes like the latter to me. the beer is a really dark black and opens with a good amount of tartness, followed by a lot of red wine barrel stuff, and then a long finish with some earthy tannins and a the kind of soap like flavors you sometimes get with brett along with some chocolate. there's a lot of stuff going on here, but I don't think malty natural wine really works for me and so on.

On 12/11/2020 at 3:08 AM, AaronS said:

stillwater new sensation double dry hopped international pale ale - brewed in north haven connecticut by the 12% beer project, 7.6% abv. what happened to stillwater? their pace of releases has really slowed over the last year or two, and the few that I've had the opportunity to buy have been hard seltzers and india pale hard seltzers. I just looked at their instagram to get the specs for this beer and there's a bunch of new activity, including some reimagined versions of their early saisons. apparently this one uses european malts, domestic flaked grains, scandinavian kveik yeast, and was dry hopped with american (citra, sabro), german (halleratu blanc), and austrailian (galaxy) hops. so this is the kind of beer you can get from a lot of places now, but the 12% beer project makes good stuff and this is pretty tasty. this is pretty opaque and the mouthfeel is a littler thicker than your usual ne ipa, and it has a nice creamy set of tropical fruit with the coconut flavors you get from sabro. I guess making this kind of beer is a prerequisite for any brewery nowadays, and they can certainly do it pretty well, and I hope it means they're back and so on and also on.

I really enjoy Stillwater's Extra Dry with Japanese food. 

Rogue Marionberry Sour.  Marionberries, a hybrid, are only found around the Oregon and California coast (we're growing some in our backyard); Rogue has its own farm near the main brewery in Newport, OR.   It's not too sweet from the fruit but nor is it super sour, and at 6.5% ABV it won't knock you out either.  And, it's a lovely plum color.

foam brewers multitude of drops double india pale ale - 8.8% abv. it's pretty easy to find an enjoyable ne dipa nowadays, and it's hard to credit finding a better than average one to anything other than luck given the number of offerings the better brewers have on most days. foam, a burlginton brewer that doesn't send a ton of stuff down here, is one of the few brands that carries higher than average expectations at this point, arguably because their beer is an expensive rarity with really well made labels and so on... anyways this is made with a new hop blend from freestyle hops, a new zealand hop broker, named after bruce eggers, who worked their hop farms for fifty years. this one mixes early nelson, early motueka, late pacifica, and mid pacific jade, which give off the promised combination of gooseberry, citrus rind, and tropical fruit. I probably haven't had enough stuff from foam to identify their house style, but this has the zero malt presence, all moderately bitter fruit that their other beers have had, and the combination of gooseberry, citrus, fejoia, and so on is really pleasant. recommended.

foam brewers x peterson quality malt local dork vermont double india pale ale - 8% abv. all the ingredients in this one come from vermont, as the name suggests. it has pilsner malt and flaked wheat from their collaborator, and a mixture of centennial and willamette hops from champlain valley hops. you can taste the pilsner malt a little bit, so it has a little bit heavier body than last night’s beer, and then some really well done mango and papaya flavors combined with a bunch of the citrus and other stuff you associate with centennial, which of course goes well with the pilsner malt, and there’s a nice mixture of pine and mint in the finish. it’s not uncommon to find old school hops in these kind of beers, but this combines old school and newer flavors in a really nice way. another winner from foam. strongly recommended.

omnipollo empyrean imperial india pale ale - 8.5% abv,  brewed by the 12 percent beer project in north haven connecticut. this is a nice example of what a new england style ne dipa made with citra and galaxy should taste like. they should contract with foam.

finback neuromancer barrel aged imperial stout with coffee and blueberry an imperial snacky stout brewed with ethiopia daye bensa coffee from mostra and blueberry. aged in maple barrels. - 12.5% abv. this is a pretty good example of adjuncts in a barrel aged beer, although I guess the maple barrel should probably count as an adjunct. the beer isn’t lightly carbonated and has a light body. the main flavor is a big, well integrated mixture of blueberry and maple, with a lot of detail and a sweet finish that has some bourbon in it. the coffee that shows up is the kind of third wave coffee that I’d actually like to drink, which works with the blueberry. there’s not much beer flavor, but this is well put together and very enjoyable. mildly recommended.

Many Ethiopian coffees are sought after for their blueberry notes, so I'm not surprised that they chose that combination for the beer.

We're participating in yet another virtual beer fest this coming Saturday; it's Christmas-themed, so there are many rich, dark beers in the box (no IPAs for once).  A couple are coffee-based stouts or porters made in collaboration with local roasters, so I'm being hopeful that they'll be good.

foam brewers things I imagined india pale ale brewed with vanilla, lactose, and pinapple - 6.5% abv. their instagram says that this is a milkshake ipa, which usually have a higher abv and heavier mouthfeel. this is a little bit heavier than the one very light foam single ipa I've had, yadda yadda. this tastes mostly of pineapple and lactose, with some nice vanilla and hops in the finish. they used citra and motueka instead of the citra and mosaic tired hands uses in most of the original ones, and there's some nice papaya and other tropical fruit in the finish. making a lighter version of this kind of beer makes some sense, they didn't put the name milkshake on the label, and this is pretty tasty. mildly recommended.