what beers are you drinking?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tonigt: full moon belgian white ale--it is not really belgian, but a belgian style witbier from the mudshark brewery based in arizona. i quote my beeradvocate.com review:   looks very nice in the gl

Click. Way too young. And let's not forget his great whisky writings.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oberon but it seems the most accessible for the masses so it is the one that is most often on tap. It is a summer beer most change out to Pale Ale for the fall/winter (I lik

Posted Images

oude quetsche tilquin a l’ancienne traditional belgian lambic ale brewed with plums 2019 2020 - 6.4% abv. this is a blend of 1, 2 and 3 year old lambics that were aged on top of purple plums for four months. this is the more accessible of the two bottled offerings from tilquin, the only geuze blendery in wallonia. (this means they buy wort from four different brewers and age it themselves.) this is what I want from a fruited lambic - there’s a good amount of fruit at first, but it’s complex and weird and has a great mixture of mild brett, salinity, and a more assertive tartness towards the end. this isn’t as good as the cantillion or 3frontenien stuff, but it’s really enjoyable and it’s not like I can just buy cantillion instead. strongly recommended.

On 11/20/2014 at 9:30 AM, AaronS said:

I went to the power of sour event at mission dolores tonight. a tasting of beers that blow your palate out doesn't really make sense, but i enjoyed almost everything they had. mostly 4oz samples -

gueuze tilquin - really great tart notes here, very complex

maine beer company another one india pale ale - 7% abv. this is the first year in a long time that I’ve been unable to find any of the mikkeller or to ol christmas beers, so I picked another relatively old stand by that I haven’t had in a while. I think this was their second ipa IIRC and was always easier to find than lunch for whatever reason. the hop bill of cascade, citra, and simcoe is pretty old school at this point, but this comes off a lot more like a newer beer than the way I remember it. I knew I’d like this, their beer is always more or less perfect for what it is, but this is a lot softer and closer to the NE style and is even more enjoyable than I thought it would be. there’s a really nice set of citrus, pineapple, mango, and a little peach that seems restrained compared to the ddh dipas I’m used to. the finish is slightly sweet with a little bit of bitterness and so on. strongly recommended.

finback 2020 bqe granola barrel aged imperial stout with chocolate, coffee, granola, cherry, raspberry, and almond - 12.5% abv. the base bqe, a bourbon barrel aged stout with chocolate and coffee, is probably finback’s best known beer. I haven’t had every release, but the ones I have had have been excellent. they released five variants this year, the base, three adjunct heavy ones including the now obligatory banana version, and a double barrel version. I chose this one because I had an omnipollo stout made with granola that had really great grain notes, but this goes from the fruit into coffee and chocolate with the almond and barrel character underneath. this is pretty well put together - everything tastes good, it’s balanced, and so on, but unfortunately it’s as described.

finback 2020 bqe double barrel aged imperial stout with chocolate and coffee - 12.5% abv. this is last year’s version that was initially aged in taconic barrels and then transferred to new buffalo trace ones. this is a lot more complex than last night’s version, but the basic set of flavors is pretty similar. it starts out with some coffee and chocolate, and then goes into slightly sweet set of raisin and cherry flavors that have some smoke and a little vanilla, and the apparent alcohol gives a slight cinnamon character that’s there throughout. this is a huge beer with a lot of nuance, there’s some herbal notes in some sips, more chocolate, and so on. this also makes last nights beer make more sense, but this is still a much better beer. recommended. 

omnipollo ice creamy white chocolate peach triple india pale ale brewed with cocoa nibs, white chocolate, peach & lactose sugar - brewed and packaged by twelve percent, north haven, ct for omnilpollo, 10% abv. this is one of a relatively new series of beers from the people that brought you the original milkshake ipa, as well as any number of the trends plaguing a part of the beer world. I really liked the mango version I had not so long ago, it was as bitter as any old school triple ipa, but replaced the pine and citrus you’d get in those beers with a bunch of adjuncts. mango ipas are often really bitter for some reason, and whether it’s intentional or not this is a lot less bitter than the mango version and doesn’t work nearly as well for me. this starts out with a mixture of white chocolate and some actual malt notes, which give way to a mixture of peach and some vaguely citra like hop notes. there’s a fair amount of apparent alcohol here, and some off grain notes, so unlike the mango version this is probably worse than it sounds. 

omnipollo “menelik” yellow raisin, coffee, vanilla, cocoa nib, almond, hazelnut, nut mix, nutmeg, milk chocolate mansplanation imperial stout brewed with yellow raisins, coffe, vanilla, cocoa nibs, almonds, hazelnuts, nut mix, spice, milk chocolate & lactose sugar - 11% abv, brewed and packaged by twelve percent, north haven, ct for omnipollo. I don’t know if yellow raisin will join the list of trends that can be blamed on omnipollo, but it’s clever and I’ve never had anything like this. this is dark brown instead of black, and starts out with some sweetness that combines what I guess is yellow raisin and vanilla, followed by chocolate with nuts in the background and a little spice and some sweetness. it would be fun to have one of these beers that just said “a crazy amount of odd adjuncts” on the label instead of four or five of the most obvious flavor descriptors (I wouldn’t be able to say yellow raisin or mansplanation), but I did read the label and can taste most of the things it lists. I don’t think this is as well put together as the weird sour I had last month, but it is surprisingly light bodied for the abv and there’s no apparent alcohol, it’s not as sweet as it probably sounds, I’m mildly enjoying this, and so on. 

eta: I guess the basic reason that this works for me is that most of the additives remind me of flavors found in dark beer, so this actually tastes a lot more like beer than you’d expect it to.

westbrook brewing co. 10th anniversary peanut butter hazelnut marshmallow stout imperial stout brewed with peanut butter, hazelnut, marshmallow, and vanilla - 10% abv. westbrook always makes a big stout for it’s anniversary, the first one was mexican cake, which had a clever mix of additives and spawned a bunch of rereleases and similar beers, but apart from a baltic porter the rest of them have used a mixture of adjuncts that would sound good to my kids. this is pleasant enough, there’s a little bit of apparent alcohol, no real beer flavors, and it’s pretty much as described. meh.

modern times beer collaboration with threes brewing chromatic illusion baltic porter - brewed at modern times in portland, 6.8% abv. baltic porters are lagers, apparently the style is a result of brewers near the baltic where lagering was common emulating english porters. I think of this as a pretty obscure style, probably because the one I’ve had a lot (heavyweight’s palunko’s hammer) hasn’t been made since 2004, but google tells me they are more common than I think, and there are some like sinebrychoff and sixpoint’s three beans that I thought were stouts. anyways this has a really nice set of coffee and chocolate malt notes that give way to a very long, smooth finish that has milk chocolate and some lightly roasted malt notes that are a little bit smoky. this is actually more like a big black lager than a stout, which really makes it quaffable and so on.

I posted about at least a dozen lagers over the summer. (tonight’s beer was pre-planned and isn’t a response to your post.)

threes brewing + schilling beer co precipice oak aged czech dark lager - brewed at threes, 4.5% abv. this one combines all czech ingredients, schilling brewing techniques, and six weeks in three’s foedre. short fuse, one of their foedre aged lagers,  is probably the best beer threes makes, so I was pretty stoked for this. it really has a lot of flavor for the abv, it starts out with some really nicely layered chocolate malt notes that give way to some really nice mixture of brett, mint, and noble hop spice. this is a really terrific quaffer - the basic flavor profile is simple and very pleasant, but there’s enough detail that you keep noticing things. recommended plus.