what beers are you drinking?

mikkeller spontancassis sour ale brewed with cassis berries & aged in oak barrels - brewed at de proef, 7.7% abv. this is one of the mikkeller series I’d really like to know better - the ones I have had have been all over the place in both quality and style. the dry hopped ones have been uniformly excellent, but the fruit ones have ranged from really weird and delicious to the kind of simple, mildly tart beverages that you’d expect from lindemans, which suzannef once referred to as adult soda. mikkeller doesn’t say much about how these are made, only that they get the wort from a lambic maker, the beer is a blend of one to three year old beer, and they used a lot of fruit in this, so I don’t know if the relatively accessible nature of this is intentional or if there’s something about casis that leads to more straightforward flavors. this smells strongly of cassis, is a nice shade of purple, and has a mixture of bright cassis, some vinegar, and a little bit of oak in the background. I think this was bottled in 2017, and I was expecting something weirder, but despite the simplicity there’s some really pleasant grape notes under the cassis and this is really enjoyable.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tonigt: full moon belgian white ale--it is not really belgian, but a belgian style witbier from the mudshark brewery based in arizona. i quote my beeradvocate.com review:   looks very nice in the gl

Click. Way too young. And let's not forget his great whisky writings.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oberon but it seems the most accessible for the masses so it is the one that is most often on tap. It is a summer beer most change out to Pale Ale for the fall/winter (I lik

Posted Images

19 hours ago, AaronS said:

where did you buy that cantillion? those are extremely hard to find here.

I asked N that the other day, as I honestly don't remember.  There was no price sticker on it, and I know we had it for at least a year.

mikkeller us alive! belgian wild ale - brewed at de proef browerij in lochristi-hijte, belgium, 8% abv. the cap says this is best by 2022, and the labels look new and use the the font they switched to a few years ago so my guess is that this isn’t that old. I’ve posted about a few different versions of this beer quite a few times, and this and the anchorage made version are among my very favorite brett beers. the us version is made with three kinds of american hops - tomahawk, warrior, and amarillo. this is roughly the color of sierra’s celebration, but is a little bit lighter bodied. this is exactly what I like so much about de proef - there’s some beautiful caramel malt notes, and then some orange marmalade, a hint of pine, and some pear in the finish along with some toffee and some sweetness. this is probably the youngest one of these I’ve had, the finish is usually a lot brettier and while this isn’t as dry as the older ones are there’s still a nice amount of brett and it definitely tastes like a wild ale, although this does actually drink like an infinitely better version of celebration. strongly recommended.

logsdon farmhouse ales peche ‘n brett oak aged ale brewed with peaches - 8.6% abv, bottled 3/18/2020. this is another one I’ve posted about before. I haven’t bought their beer in a while because the original owners sold and I wrongly assumed their beer had gotten worse. but I liked their flemish red ale I had a few weeks ago and was happy to come across this, which I remember really enjoying the first time around. this is their bretty saison fermented on a pound and a half of peaches per gallon, and this is a light yellow beer that smells and tastes a lot like peaches, as you’d expect. there’s some sweet malt too, and the combination of that and the abv make this more like a begian golden ale than a saison. the finish has some tart brett that’s pretty pleasant and a lot more peach. this is a big beer with a lot of detail and so on. mildly recommended.

23 hours ago, AaronS said:

if you got that without paying a price you’d remember or mail ordering it that’s really exciting.

Definitely didn't mail order it.  The only beers we've ever gotten by mail have been the ones from the various virtual beer fests last year.

Espressway Cold Brew Stout from Two Roads Brewing Company in CT.  Per their Website: "In a process unique to Two Roads, we mixed a locally-roasted Ethiopian/Sumatra blend of beans with a rich oatmeal stout under pressure (like espresso but without the steam) using our German-built “Brewnik” device. The mixture is steeped for several days resulting in a true, cold-brewed coffee stout."  This is a lovely stout, bitter but not overly bitter, and tasting more of coffee than a lot of other coffee stouts & porters I've had.  I'm drinking it now at 4:30 PM and probably wouldn't have it much later in the day.

hoof hearted one more again czech-style pilsner - brewed by twelve percent in north haven connecticut, 4.5% abv. hoof hearted is a marengo, ohio brewery that’s been a 12% llc brand for a while, and now that you’re expected to be able to make a clean pilsner to go along with the adjunct heavy stuff that pays the bills this exists. while I’ve never enjoyed their non-adjunct hoppy beer that much this is decent enough and exactly as described.

hoof hearted combat spandex sour triple india pale ale sour triple india pale ale with mango, kiwi, vanilla, and milk sugar added - brewed and canned at the 12% beer project, north haven, ct, 11.4% abv. this is a hazy yellow orange that’s about the same color as apricot juice, if a little more transparent. it starts out with some vanilla that gives way to some mango, vanilla, apricot, and orange that’s a little bit tart and not really sour apart from the lacto that comes through in the finish. so it’s very much as described, only there’s absolutely no apparent alchohol, which is shocking for an ipa with this kind of abv. the body is on the light side for a milkshake ipa, and while I guess it tastes vaguely of yogurt I can’t taste the lactose either. they don’t say what kind of hops they used, and I don’t taste those either, although this still drinks like an ipa I guess. this isn’t going to convince anyone that these kind of beers should exist, but I think there’s no question that hoof hearted and evil twin nyc make the best ones that are legally sold here, and a part of me is in awe of the technical achievement here blah blah blah. recommended to idiots.

Black is Beautiful, an imperial stout that's actually a collaborative project spearheaded by Weathered Souls Brewing Company, a Black-owned brewing company out of San Antonio. The recipe is available online, and Weathered Souls is asking participating breweries to donate 100% of the beer's proceeds to "local foundations that support police brutality reform and legal defenses for those who have been wronged", as well as "commit to the long-term work of equality".  They're now up to 1192 participating breweries in all 50 states and in 22 countries, including Canada, Germany, China, Brazil, and the Philippines.

Oh yeah, and the beer is pretty darn good.  The one I had was made by Almanac Brewing Company here in Alameda.

hoof hearted who’d like to hold my clipboard double india pale ale with pineapple, vanilla, and milk sugar added - brewed in north haven, ct by the 12% beer project, 9% abv. this is another really nice fruited beer from hoof hearted, the label mentions that they used mosaic, which you can actually taste in the finish. this has a pretty light body for a milkshake ipa, the pineapple and vanilla flavors are well done, it tastes a little bit like hops, and so on. mildly recommended.

maine beer company mean old tom stout aged on natural vanilla beans - 6.5% abv. this is a real reminder that stouts, even those with adjuncts, are supposed to taste like roast malt. this starts out with a bitter mixture of cocoa and some coffee and gives way to a little bit of vanilla, and everything is clean, clean, and balanced the way all the mbc stuff is and so on. recommended.

toppling goliath double dry hopped king sue double india pale ale - 7.8% abv. sue stands for citra in toppling goliath speak, and while this doesn’t specify that it’s single hopped it definitely does. the aroma on this one is pretty intense, there’s the unmistakable orange, pineapple, and mango you get with citra, and it tastes the same way it smells only there’s a little bitter pine, a slight amount of sweetness, and nothing else. citra usually has those three flavors plus some other stuff, this is really focused on those three fruit flavors in a way that’s unique in my experience, although I guess the bitterness gives you something between orange and grapefruit. this is probably the haziest beer I’ve ever seen come out of a bottle, and more importantly is every bit as good as anything I’ve had from a local and so on and on. recommended.

foam brewers horizon lines imperial ipa with tangerine and peach - 11% abv. I was pretty happy to find this at my local beer shop, I really liked the two similar beers I had from hoof hearted last week and was happy to a huge, fruited iipa from a better brewer. this looks like a normal hazy ipa, it’s a semi-opaque yellow orange and smells and tastes like tangerine and peach juice with some malt sweetness underneath, and the slightly bitter finish has a nice mixture of hops and some really rich peach notes that almost push this into milkshake territory, although this doesn’t taste like it was made with vanilla or lactose. this is also the second over 11% ipa I’ve had without any apparent alcohol, which isn’t that surprising. and... strongly recommended.