what beers are you drinking?

omnipollo bianca blueberry blackberry raspberry strawberry maple pancake lassi gose sour ale with blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, lactose sugar, vanilla & maple sugar added - brewed at de proef, 7% abv. apparently this can contains more than a thousand berries and an entire vanilla bean, which seems like an obvious way to give a beer a lot of flavor. this is an opaque shade of purple that’s much too thick to be wine or even regular juice, and there’s enough carbonation that the beer leaves a little lacing on the glass after the small head receives. this isn’t quite as thick as the etny milkshakes, but the mouthfeel is extremely thick. there’s a really rich set of berry notes here that give way to the maple and a little vanilla and then a mild tartness that doesn’t really taste like lacto. it would be terrible if even a fifth of the beer available to me was anything like this, of course, but this is a really nuanced, rich beverage and the transition from the fruit to maple is really well done and so on. I guess it’s embarrassing that I like fruit smoothies this much, the the way the maple and vanilla work with the fruit make me hope that this is probably more sophisticated than I am going to be able to make it sound and so on. recommended.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tonigt: full moon belgian white ale--it is not really belgian, but a belgian style witbier from the mudshark brewery based in arizona. i quote my beeradvocate.com review:   looks very nice in the gl

Click. Way too young. And let's not forget his great whisky writings.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oberon but it seems the most accessible for the masses so it is the one that is most often on tap. It is a summer beer most change out to Pale Ale for the fall/winter (I lik

Posted Images

Pizza Port Brewing Company Bacon & Eggs, 8% ABV.  Thankfully, it does not contain the title ingredients: it's an imperial coffee porter made in collaboration with the local (San Diego) Bird Rock Roasters, who made an Ethiopian/Sumatran blend especially for this beer.  More bitter than the porters/stouts I usually drink, but I like this kind of bitter (I drink my coffee black most of the time).  Should make for a nice, lazy Saturday afternoon.

mikkeller spontanyuzu sour ale brewed with yuzu & aged in oak barrels - brewed at de proef, 7% abv. this is probably the best one of the three of these that I’ve had recently - there’s a really perfect mixture of yuzu and bretty tartness that has some sweetness and oak underneath, along with some herbal stuff and good french white wine flavors. there’s a little bit of funk in the finish, but this is still pretty approachable for a lambic. recommended.

omnipollo bianca cherry maple pancake lassi gose sour ale with cherries, vanilla, lactose sugar and maple syrup added - brewed at deproef, 7% abv. this is a lot like the beer written up above, it's an equally opaque red purple that has a little bit more red in it, and the mouthfeel is a tad less thick. the real difference is that it tastes like cherries, of course, and while it's a little bit simpler than the other two beers in this series that have made it to nyc the cherry notes are really well done, and I continue to like the way the tart fruit gives way to the maple and vanilla etc. like I said last time this is a really great version of something that probably shouldn't exist, but these are big, rich beers that have a surprising amount of nuance in them and I'm sure I'll buy the next round they send over too. recommended.

oxbow brewing company liquid swords 2020 liquid swords is our annual grand cru. the 2020 cuvee incorporates mixed-fermentation biere de miel and smoked biere de garde - 7% abv. biere de miel is beer made with honey, and biere de garde is a stronger saison that was traditionally made to last through the summer, when higher temperatures made fermentation less predictable. the beer pours a light gold, and smells strongly of floral brett with a little bit of honey. the taste is a lot more complex, there are huge, clean, brett notes, some vinegar like tartness, and then a bunch of sweet honey and the long finish is a mixture of citrus, oak, and a little smoke. blending beers is a pretty standard part of barrel aging, and I'm sure this is a lot more complex than either of the base beers were on their own, but the much simpler mikkeller spontanyuzu I had recently does most of the brett and barrel things a lot better and is probably more appealing blah blah blah.

off color brewing dino smores imperial marshmallow stout - 10.5% abv. this has been the best adjunct laden stout I've had for the last couple years, and I don't know what's changed but this really doesn't taste like much and I hope I haven't lost my sense of taste for some bad reason. I expected to find this an admirable use of adjuncts, where all of the extra ingredients worked together to make this a smore in a glass and so on, but I don't get the vanilla or marshmallow this time around and the molasses and malt notes aren't enough to carry this blah blah and also blah.

aecht schlenterla rauchbier urbock - 6.5% abv. (regular bottled version) this is a traditionally made smoke beer from one of my favorite german brewers. this malt in this one was smoked with beech, which is what they use in everything but their dopplebock. this has a really great combination of sweetness and smoke character, which starts out as toffee and plum like and turns into coffee in the finish, with a bit of the banana and clove you often get in german beer in the finish. there’s smoke on top of all those flavors, of course, and it’s hard not to think of a country ham or something even though that’s not quite right. I really like all of their beers and haven’t seen this one in a long time, and it’s interesting how different this is from their dopplebock, which I see all the time, blah blah blah. recommended.

12 hours ago, StephanieL said:

Why oh why tinker with a classic?

OH FUCK NO!

Yes, as part of its 125th anniversary celebration, the brewery — now owned by Sapporo — has decided to ditch the classy label and invigorate the brand with bold colors and typography that can be seen for a mile through fog.

Granted, they haven’t (yet) altered what’s inside the bottle. But, as we’re pretty sure Don Draper told us many times, you don’t mess with an American classic. You don’t change the recipe for Heinz Ketchup. Or replace the Levi’s button on jeans. Or play seven innings of baseball (OK, unless it’s a double-header during an abbreviated season).

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/01/26/anchor-steams-beer-logo-redesign-love-it-or-really-really-hate-it/

Can I say again how much I love being able to get beer from any in-state brewery shipped to me?  Between this collection and the beers I just got for Saturday's V-Day Virtual Beer Fest (which range from a 3% ABV Berliner weisse to a 12.8% ABV imperial stout), not to mention some brews we already have, we're going to be living large for a while.

omnipollo bianca double peanut butter jelly lassi gose sour ale with raspberries, blackberries, lactose sugar, cacao nibs, vanilla & peanut flower added - 7% abv, brewed at deproef. I’m not sure why I like these so much, but I do and I’ve now had all of the ones they imported this time around. this is the double peanut butter version of one I had last time around, but as I’ve mentioned there are a thousand berries in each can of this and the peanut butter has a hard time standing up to the fruit the way the maple does in other versions of this, and the finish actually has some salinity in it. so these beers are meaningfully different and are properly described as a gose? no, not really. strongly recommended to people who really like fruit.

jw lees harvest ale brewed in 2015 - 11.5% abv. this is the best remaining example (that I can buy) of what’s probably my favorite kind of beer, and I was excited to see four types of it in cans at my local. I’m not sure when this was canned, it doesn’t say canned in conmecticut the way the b-united tanker project stuff does, but it definitely seems fresher than the way I remember relatively young bottles. this is one of the only styles that gets better with age, I’ve had twenty year old bottles of this and a few of it’s competitors that were as good as beer gets. this is pretty close to desert wine at this point, it start out with a big set of sweet malt, orange marmalade, candied lemon, and maybe a little ginger, along with a surprising amount of hop spice at first, which gives way to some oxidized sherry and fig notes along with some herbal stuff and a fair amount of apparent alcohol. the toffee and caramel notes you expect in this kind of beer are there too, but this is even more fruit forward than the way I remember the one year old version that I had at beer table back in the day. so this is a really nice example of what I really like, and I like it. strongly recommended.

On 1/28/2021 at 4:31 PM, AaronS said:

ok I said that it looks like top hops larger location is closed and they don’t have top hops to go’s inventory on line. 

grand delancey has theirs on line and joe really can’t go wrong with the majority of the can list and the regular bottles. I especially recommend the canned suarez beers and the suarez porter they have on draft, but apart from some of the bigger ipas they have the kind of stuff of stuff joe posted about.

the reserve list is equally impressive but is mostly the kind of beer joe doesn’t want. the cantillion bottle they have as a part of the adventurous palates sampler is one of the very best beers of its kind and that’s only the second time I’ve seen that beer in a retail shop in the last 10 years. 

the list they have online is clearly better than any bottle shop in brooklyn except for maybe gold star and covenhoven, but has much better prices than either one.

I made my way over to The Delancey yesterday (or the day before, I forget), looking for Suarez. They were out of all cans! They did have the Porter on draft, but since it was suggested we drink the growler rather quickly (like within 12 hours) and since we were drinking something else that night...

In any event, the helpful gent steered me towards couple of cans I might like to try:

Bissell Brothers The Substance IPA and Threes Other Ephemera IPA. Which we'll do sometime this weekend, I imagine. 

They have a lot of beer, @AaronS! They also have Cider from one of my favorite American cider makers, Shacksbury.