what beers are you drinking?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tonigt: full moon belgian white ale--it is not really belgian, but a belgian style witbier from the mudshark brewery based in arizona. i quote my beeradvocate.com review:   looks very nice in the gl

Click. Way too young. And let's not forget his great whisky writings.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oberon but it seems the most accessible for the masses so it is the one that is most often on tap. It is a summer beer most change out to Pale Ale for the fall/winter (I lik

Posted Images

grimm mating dance india pale ale - 6.7% abv. this is a new beer from grimm, which as we all know was the best stuff you could get around here for a long time until they opened their own brewery, at which point things fell off a cliff and I haven't really been keeping up. this one has mosaic, strata, and nelson, which sound pretty neat, and there's a nice combination of strawberry, grapefruit, and bitter gooseberry. this is a pretty solid ne ipa that's as good as anything I've had from a local brewer in a long time. mildly recommended.

industrial arts brewing state of the art helles - 5.4% abv. this helles was decocted, a process where some of the wort is removed, brought to a boil, and added back to the same wort, which is apparently thought to increase malt flavors and allowed for temperature control in the days before thermometers, and single hopped with saaz. this is a really well put together simple beer - slightly doughy malt notes, some sweetness, a little bit of honey and citrus. there's a little bit of bitterness in the finish but this still skews a little bit sweet. these cans are a little bit older than the beer I usually drink, which probably isn't an issue here. this isn't suarez, but I like it a lot more than their year round metric. recommended.

Thorn Brewing out of San Diego has been doing collaborations with Chuao Chocolatiers to produce beers based on some of Chuao's bars, and our latest virtual beer fest including the Spicy Maya dry Irish stout.  Because I don't do spicy stuff well (stomach issues), I'm personally not a fan of heat in either my beer or chocolate, but the various spices plus the chocolate did give the beer some sweetness and depth, even if I did feel the spice in the back of my throat for quite a while afterwards.  It was definitely to N's liking though.  I was taken more with the other beer from the set of 10 that we had last night, Societe's Not Enormous wild-culture fermented Berliner Weisse (only 3% ABV!).

finback future reflections triple india pale ale triple ipa dry hopped with citra, citra cryo, sabro, sabro cyro, and azacaa - 10% abv. this is pretty much as you'd expect something with this hop bill to taste like, there's some tropical fruit and coconut, with some peach and apricot in the finish, and so on.. meh

industrial arts brewing state of the art double wheat stout - 10% abv. this is the strangest beer that's actually a beer I've had in a long time, or the strangest beer not made with some kind of weird adjunct I can remember, or something. this was made with four different wheat malts, roasted oats, dark belgian candi sugar, and a lot of simcoe cryo. I think this is the second wheat stout I've had, but the (excellent) root and branch one that preceded it used chocolate malt as well as cocoa and vanilla and tasted a lot more like a traditional stout. this is also one of the few dark beers I've had from industrial arts or any of the head brewers other projects over the years, as well as only the second 10% or more beer from industrial arts... anyways.... this is a really strange one. there's some chocolate and third wave coffee kind of stuff here, along with a lot of simcoe, which is probably what's keeping this from tasting like a regular stout. the end effect is something like a dopplebock, where there are a lot of dark wheat flavors, but then you get the roasted stuff you get in a stout, only there's a lot more hops than usual. the important thing is that this actually tastes good blah blah blah.

finback innerbloom mixed fermentation sour ale made with clementine, grapefruit, and pineapple made in collaboration with the rare barrel society - 8.5% abv. this is another big, bright fruit beer from finback. the citrus shows up first, along with a lot of pretty basic brett and oak, and the pineapple shows up in the mildly tart finish. this is pretty simple for this kind of beer, and the fruit notes are good enough, but it’s a little too acidic and just doesn’t have the kind of depth you want in this kind of beer.

jw lee's harvest ale matured in port casks brewed in 2016 - 11.5% abv. this is a really exemplary example of a barrel aged beer - the port accents the dried fruit and oxidation that I found in the non-barrel aged example of the previous vintage that I had a few weeks ago, and while this definitely tastes more like port than the original it seems like a bigger, richer version of the base beer, which is the opposite of the second rate whisky you get with so many barrel aged stouts. while the orange marmalade like notes the original version had aren't as forward there's still a lot of toffee like malt, fig, raisin, and some cherry and a very small amount of oak. this is terrific, even if I prefer the non-barrel aged version and so on. recommended plus.

to ol snowball belgian ale aged in white wine barrels - brewed at de proef brouwerj, 8% abv. the guy who sold this to me told me this from 2018, which seems right even though the beer advocate reviews seem to be about beer released in 2015. anyways.. this one was made with flaked oats, candi sugar, a mixture of european (tettanger, halleratau) and american hops (simcoe, amarillo), and the label lists both yeast and brettanomyces, the latter being used to bottle condition it. the brett is what I'm here for, and once you get past the initial malt sweetness there's a ton of the clean pear flavors the to ol de proef beers usually have, along with some citrus, peach, and maybe apple, and there's some white wine barrel character in the finish. this is a pretty good example of my favorite kind of "sour" beer, although I do think has started to turn and is probably at the point where aging it any further would be detrimental blah blah blah. recommended.

foam brewers experimental jet set double india pale ale - 9.2% abv. apparently foam shares my taste in DIY guitar based rock, even if they picked a mature record. anyways... I think of foam as one of the better makers of ne style ipas, they’re available sporadically enough that coming across their beer feels special, but I’m familiar enough with their beers  that they seem like a sure thing. this one is made with the always exciting citra and vic secret, which is often too harsh and one dimensional for me. this is definitely more bitter than the typical north east ipa, but it’s also remarkable light and has a mixture of say clementine and the usual tropical stuff, orange, and some apricot in the finish. recommended.

foam brewers dead wax india pale ale - 6.8% abv. this is about the same color as the beer above it, which is pretty remarkable given the difference in abv. (some unnameable force prevented me from posting last night's review last night.) so this one has got denali, azaaca, and the dreaded vic secret, and it's got a lot of soft pineapple followed by some bitterness and some slightly sweet citrus. what really sets this apart from the ocean of similar ne ipas that I've pissed out over the years is this is pretty subtle and clearly better made than the vast majority of them and so on and on and also on. recommended.

foam brewers the fruit that ate itself india pale ale - 7.2% abv. this one is all galaxy, and I don't know whether it's the hop or the slightly higher abv but this is definitely richer than the beer above it. it's got the a soft version of the tropical fruit and citrus you always get with galaxy, very little bitterness, and there's the creamsicle thing that happens with the sweetness is well integrated into the fruit and so on and on. foam rules, etc. recommended.

On 1/28/2021 at 4:31 PM, AaronS said:

ok I said that it looks like top hops larger location is closed and they don’t have top hops to go’s inventory on line. 

grand delancey has theirs on line and joe really can’t go wrong with the majority of the can list and the regular bottles. I especially recommend the canned suarez beers and the suarez porter they have on draft, but apart from some of the bigger ipas they have the kind of stuff of stuff joe posted about.

the reserve list is equally impressive but is mostly the kind of beer joe doesn’t want. the cantillion bottle they have as a part of the adventurous palates sampler is one of the very best beers of its kind and that’s only the second time I’ve seen that beer in a retail shop in the last 10 years. 

the list they have online is clearly better than any bottle shop in brooklyn except for maybe gold star and covenhoven, but has much better prices than either one.

Hey I wanted to say thanks - the two you recommended and which I've tried so far were spot on. I had the Substance Ale last night, and it's delicious. Previously, the Suarez was also perfect. Maybe time to get more adventurous and move into the reserve list.

omnipollo double maz double oat india pale ale - brewed by twelve percent in north haven, connecticut, 8.5% abv. as the name suggest this is the double version of their maz pale ale, which is apparently goes back to 2013 and is one of their mainstays in europe. I think it's only made it to nyc once, in 16oz cans made at two roads that were really excellent. (it made an appearance at the omnipollo tap take over at torst that saw me set a hopefully untouchable record bar tab, but I think it was an oldish keg of that batch.) the thing that was so nice about the previous version was that it was so soft and full of flavor for something with a low abv, and two of those three are gone from the first sip. this is a really big beer for it's abv, with a big set of the orange and mango you often get from something like the citra, amarillo, and simcoe ones used here, along with some creaminess and a fair amount of bitterness. there's some detail underneath the bitterness, and so on, and this is a better than average ne dipa, and so on, but I still expect more from omnipollo, especially given the way I remember the base beer, and so on.