what beers are you drinking?

three floyd's brewing dreadnaught imperial india pale ale - 9.4% abv. this is a pretty old beer, there's reviews of it going back to 2001 on ratebeer and I have a vivid memory of being completely blown away by it the first time I had it in dc in my old place on park road in dc, which means is was probably somewhere around 2005 because three floyds stopped sending beer to maryland at the end of my time in that apartment. of course everything was worse back then, there were almost no decent breweries in the area and getting fresh hoppy beer was always an event and so on, and on, so... this was was the first "juicy" beer I ever had and I remember being shocked by how much it tasted like orange juice. so however many years later this is still one of the best examples of the huge old school double ipas that I've had, there's a big blast of bitterness, and the combination of caramel malt sweetness and fruit is more like grapefruit, peach, and mint, with some tea like herbal notes and some apparent alcohol that doesn't really ruin things. this is probably closer to bigfoot than it is to a modern ipa, but it still works as an ipa for me and so on.... blah blah blah.... my strongest recommendation.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tonigt: full moon belgian white ale--it is not really belgian, but a belgian style witbier from the mudshark brewery based in arizona. i quote my beeradvocate.com review:   looks very nice in the gl

Click. Way too young. And let's not forget his great whisky writings.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oberon but it seems the most accessible for the masses so it is the one that is most often on tap. It is a summer beer most change out to Pale Ale for the fall/winter (I lik

Posted Images

stillwater x freigeist hybrid sequence 0.0004 oak aged spontaneous wild ale co-fermented with riesling grapes in collaboration with weingut brand - brewed & bottled for stillwater artisanal by vormann, hagen - dahl, germany, 7% abv. this pours a hazy yellow orange that's a lot lighter than a lambic, and smells like a mixture of lambic and reisling, which is I guess what you'd expect. this tastes like a really, really bretty lambic, that's got some simple stone fruit flavors that remind me a little bit of a (bad) alsatian resiling, but the overall effect is a lot less like wine than you'd expect given the smell. this is pretty disappointing, I expected freigeist to knock something like this out of the park, but this is simple, a little bit too acerbic, and there's a lot of much better lambic out there.

abomination brewing company still social distancing double india pale ale double dry hopped with mosaic, enigma, strata, motueka, and citra - brewed & packaged by abomination brewing company, north haven ct, 8.2% abv. at this point there are a lot of north east ipas that are pretty similar in almost every respect, which has been true for a while, but I guess it hasn't gotten old yet and it's still pretty exciting to get a better than average ne hazy ipa. this one has a really nice mixture of melon, papaya and guava, along with the usual tropical stuff that's reasonably bitter and slightly sweet. recommended.1

1.abomination is one of the 12 percent beer projects brands that makes hazy ipas and pastry stouts. I haven't had enough of their stuff to separate them from the 12 percent facility in north haven in my mind, which is good because I think of it as one of the better local brewers that I have access to. this one is part of a series that didn't really catch on the way that the other local covid relief series did, but if I have it right each brewery was supposed to brew their own version of it.

finback oscillation 24 double india pale ale - 8.7% abv. this one has citra, mosaic, simcoe, and nelson, which I guess is kinda retro, or something... it’s pretty bitter for a ne dipa, has a nice combination of orange, mango, and apricot, and I was surprised to see that they used nelson. as I was just saying these kind of beers never seem to get old, and this is very enjoyable etc etc. 

equilibrium vulgar display of flower dipa - 8% abv, crowler! equilibrium describes this as a mixture of east coast and west coast styles, which is dead on of course. it’s a slightly opaque shade of orange, and there’s a really fantastic set of orange, peach, and grapefruit that taste like a classic west coast ipa with a lot less bitterness, and there’s enough malt or whatever they use that the old school fruit flavors are really rich they way they are in good west coast dipas, only they probably used some oats and the finish is slightly creamy. that makes it a pretty clever mixture of old and new styles, but the really impressive thing is just how well done the hop notes are. it’s one of the better versions of the same old thing I’ve had in a long time, and definitely the best beer I’ve had from equilibrium. I know I’ve had a lot of better than average dipas recently, blah blah blah. strongly recommended.

finback coasted toconut imperial stout with coconut, chocolate and almonds - 12.5% abv. this is pretty nice for what it's supposed to be. the first few sips had some apparent alcohol, but that's gone now and this is pretty much as described - there's a bunch of coconut with milk chocolate, almond, and booze underneath. the alcohol actually enhances the beer, the very light body makes it drinkable, and this is fun.

perennial artisan ales abraxas 2020 ale brewed with ancho chili peppers, cacao nibs, cinnamon, and vanilla - 11.5% abv. this is one of the beers that kicked off the mexican chocolate/use peppers to hide apparent alcohol stout, along with westbrook's mexican cake and prairie's bomb. I've really enjoyed the few times I've had their sump, which I think is the same base with coffee, but I've never had this one before. it's really easy to see why people like this so much, it starts out with some really floral chili notes, then there's some deep roasted malt flavors (the kind you find in beer), some chocolate, and the vanilla is there in the finish. this is really well put together and layered, there's a real depth to this, etc. I can't think of an example of an adjunct heavy stout that's clearly better than this, and 11.5% counts as a low abv in this genre at this point. recommended.

tap beer! rothaus pilsner - excellent, de ranke bitter XX - tap version blows even relatively fresh bottles out of the water, equilibrium vulgar display of flower - even better than the crowler version, or maybe drinking helps?, fifty-fifty eclipse bananas foster rum barrel aged - fifty-fifty's stuff is great, wish it was cheaper, maine beer company lunch - this is kind of in-between the new beers I like so much and the older stuff I like so much and isn't aging as well as either.

lawson’s little sip ipa - brewed by lawson’s in vt, 6.2% abv. these cans are just over a month old, which is pretty old by my standards, but as they are now this is a real mess. there’s some unpleasant malt notes, the beer smells like hops but tastes like the kind of nasty apple juice that’s fobbed off on children and onions, blah blah blah. worst ipa in a while, thank god.

Though we had plenty of Guinness with which to toast St. Patrick yesterday, we decided to take the stout theme and open it up to cover our small collection of imperial stouts.  The 12-pack we got from Almanac Brewing in Alameda to celebrate SF Beer Week included Universal Ghost, aged in bourbon and rye barrels. Unfortunately, my first impression was of a strong metallic scent, and it did not go well from there.  The general effect was of a dark beer mixed with a raw spirit, the kind that burns as it goes down (think moonshine or some other homemade hooch).  I've been storing the beers in a box in a closet with little exposure to heat or light, so I think it's just an unbalanced brew.  A couple of sips was about all I could stand.

Plan B: a quick chill of Bear Republic's Baba Yaga.  Even stronger than the Almanac beer, it managed to be much smoother and far more well-balanced, even with the little extra bitterness from the licorice root. This is probably easier to find outside of CA too, especially at someplace like Total Wine & Spirits.

One of the more consistent breweries in CT is Back East in Bloomfield. They are best known fir their IPA: Ice Cream Man. Tastes like it could be a milk shake IPA but it isn’t. They are now making a DIPA called Double Scoop and it is delicious. Made with Citra and I have to say it goes great with a pint of McConnell’s Sweet Cream Caramel Brownie ice cream. 

Just now, mitchells said:

One of the more consistent breweries in CT is Back East in Bloomfield. They are best known fir their IPA: Ice Cream Man. Tastes like it could be a milk shake IPA but it isn’t. They are now making a DIPA called Double Scoop and it is delicious. Made with Citra and I have to say it goes great with a pint of McConnell’s Sweet Cream Caramel Brownie ice cream. 

PS, I am drinking what was canned 7 days ago. 

omnipollo diadalos double almond double chocolate double coffee imperial stout with lactose sugar, chocolate, coffee, & almonds added - brewed by the twelve percent beer project, 12% abv. the omnipollo fruited sours that I had over the winter were enjoyable enough that it will be a while before I pass on one of their beers, which means that I’ll probably be drinking stuff like this more than I should. this one is pretty much as described, it’s a sweetish stout that clearly displays all of the listed adjuncts. there’s a bit of warmth in the finish that goes well with the almonds but is the only real sign of alcohol. this is pretty light and easy to drink for something with a high abv, but this isn’t anywhere near as good as the european made adjunct beers I’ve had from them over the years. I have to admit I mildly enjoyed this.