what beers are you drinking?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tonigt: full moon belgian white ale--it is not really belgian, but a belgian style witbier from the mudshark brewery based in arizona. i quote my beeradvocate.com review:   looks very nice in the gl

Click. Way too young. And let's not forget his great whisky writings.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oberon but it seems the most accessible for the masses so it is the one that is most often on tap. It is a summer beer most change out to Pale Ale for the fall/winter (I lik

Posted Images

finback something sabro india pale ale - 7% abv. sabro hops have been around for a few years, and they're notable for combining a nice version of the ubiquitous tropical fruit with coconut in a really distinctive way. the latter part of that flavor profile is pretty far in the background here, probably because this is really pretty bitter. the tropical fruit that you're left with is pleasant enough, and the coconut/creaminess you expect from sabro does start to appear once you get used to the bitterness. I feel like there's a larger point about the unpredictability of finback to be made here, but maybe it's just inconsistency blah blah blah. 

evil twin brewing nyc fructus danica 17 sour ale with apricot, blackberry, and passion fruit - brewed at et nyc in ridgewood, 6.5% abv. I liked the omnipollo fruited sours enough to make me curious about the style in general. et nyc isn’t as well regarded as 450 north or burley oak, but I can buy their beer in a shop here and their milkshakes are really nice. this is somewhere between red and purple, too opaque to be wine, and carbonated enough that you can tell it’s not juice. this is pretty similar to those omnipollo beers in mouthfeel, but it really only tastes like juice with some lacto in the finish, and the fruit flavors aren’t as well done or as easy to differentiate as the omnipollo beers. I suppose it’s possible to get drunk if you drink enough of this, which is often fun, but the slight amount of tartness isn’t that compelling and I don’t really see why you wouldn’t get a blender, some fruit, and some vodka and so on. meh.

omnipollo fatamorgana nelson sauvin edition imperial india pale ale  - brewed by the twelve percent beer project in north haven, 8% abv. I've posted rave reviews of the various previous incarnations of this beer over the years, the original version (especially the second batch that reached nyc) really floored me and was probably the best beer I'd had at that point, and while I didn't know it at the time it was also the first north east ipa I had and so on... omnipollo has put out a bunch of versions of this over the last few years, but as far as I know this is the first one to update the four C hops used in the original - and they did it with the cutting edge nelson sauvin hop, which was commonplace well before the original fatamorgana came out. this is a pretty solid ne ipa. it's got the classic nelson gooseberry/nz white wine profile and the distinctive bitterness that always follows, and it's bitter enough that it's not as soft as the way I remember the original version. this is a pretty good beer tho, and I'd like to think I'd enjoy it without the positive associations and superb packaging and so on. recommended.

omnipollo fatamorgana galaxy edition imperial india pale ale - brewed at the twelve percent beer project, 8% abv. this is another update of the great fatamorgana, only this time they used the cutting edge galaxy hop. all kidding aside it’s been a few years since I’ve had a really great ipa with galaxy, other parts of the internet think that there’s just been a lot of bad crops of galaxy, and I guess I have no reason not to think that’s true. I guess there’s some confirmation bias there, I quit picking galaxy when I had a choice so of course I haven’t had a good one and so on... this is nice enough, it’s moderately bitter, there’s some tropical fruit and citrus, and there’s a little bit of oats in the finish, and so on. get the nelson version.

tired hands brewing company alien church india pale ale - 7% abv. I’ve posted about this beer a few times, before the pandemic tired hands was one of the few breweries within driving distance of here that didn’t have to distribute their beer, and while I haven’t had that many of their cans the stuff I have had in draft was consistent with their reputation as one of the really elite breweries in the north east. this is part of their regular rotation, which is of course what they’re going to have to send to distribution, but IIRC this is the first time I’ve had this in cans instead of on draft. blah blah blah - this one has mosaic, columbus, cenntenial, citra, and chinook, which is pretty old school and not that different from what any number of breweries have been doing, but this is a really excellent beet and the combination of orange gummies, clementine, melon, and maybe pineapple is really superb and this has exactly the right amount of sweetnes and so on... strongly recommended.

tired hands hop hands out american pale ale - 5.5% abv. this is tired hands flagship ale, which is kind of quaint at this point, and if I have it right it’s the one thing they make that’s always available and is probably one of their older beers. this has oats, along with simcoe, cenntenial, and amarillo, and now that I’ve had a few there’s a really nice combination of citrus and creaminess from the oats. the hop profile always tasted great, but oats/grainy notes were a little too prominent at first. the hops notes are really well done and very nuanced, there’s a nice mixture of creamsicle, pineapple, and peach, and there’s a nice hint of bitterness too. this is a really terrific example of a new hoppy beer, it must be great to have regular access to this and so on. recommended, which goes up to strongly if you can have a few.

foam brewers think I’m in love double india pale ale - 8% abv. this is another nice one from foam - it’s all mosaic and has a soft version of the of the papaya, orange, and melon that’s sweeter than the more balanced approach I expect from foam. there’s still a lot of detail despite the sweetness, blah blah blah. foam rules. recommended.

foam brewers pavement double india pale ale - 8.2% abv. this one has citra and mosaic, which is one of the classic ne ipa hops bills because of beers like wrench and focal banger. this is more bitter and lighter than those beers, so there’s more tangelo and less tropical fruit than you expect from those hops, but this has great depth of flavor without being rich (like good food without butter, if that makes sense) and foam continues to be one of the few brewers that consistently floats to the top of the ne ipa pile.

tired hands brewing modern gulpie premium lager - 4% abv. what’s a premium lager? it’s not a style or commonly used term, is it just a nice lager? did I ask myself this when I purchased this? not really, I noted the odd word choice, but tired hands makes an excellent helles and they only sent a few types of beer down here and I was happy to pick this up. the proper term for this beer was immediately apparent when I poured the first can - it’s an american light lager, which is what budweiser and it’s competitors are. this is a really, really well made example - it’s got a mixture of domestic and imported malts, halleratau hops from bavaria, and tired hand’s house lager yeast. those all sound good, and this is a really simple, clean beer as devoid of any flaws as anything you can buy - there’s a little lime, a little malt, and maybe a hint of sweetness. I should also mention that many brewers use premium this way and I’m an idiot.

Finding a decent, craft American light lager made with good ingredients seems to be a rarity, like the brewers don't find this style interesting enough and have ceded that segment to the big boys.

maine beer company spring india pale ale - 6.5% abv. they’ve made this the last couple of springs, but it really seems older than that in many ways. it’s roughly the same color orange that something like two hearted it, but it’s less malty and has a great combination of grapefruit and pine with some peach, strawberry, and some lime and maybe eucalyptus. they used cascade, amarillo, simcoe, and eukanot, which is a little bit surprising because this tastes they used more new hops and it lacks the harshness that you sometimes get with eukanot. maine does what it does really well, and this is a great example of them doing it.

bissel brothers lux mosaic pale ale - 5.1% abv. bissel brothers is a portland, maine brewery that was one of the early purveyors of the north east pale ale. they don’t normally send beer down here but the few things I have had have been really good, especially substance, their flag ship ale. this one is all mosaic and uses rye, which is more commonly paired with nz hops. substance is a cross between a north east ipa and something like what maine beer co does, but this  doesn’t really have much to do with a ne ipa. it’s a relatively clear shade of amber and has a clear malt presence, a little rye spice, and a subdued set of the tropical stuff you get with mosaic (mango, peach tea) that’s really well done. these kind of beers are hard for me to appreciate because the higher abv beers have so much more flavor, but this is a very nice beer. recommended to adults.

pipework brewing co. blood of the unicorn hoppy red ale - 6.5% abv. this was a part of pipework's year round line up when they first started sending beer to new york, but they've scrubbed any information about particular beers from their website and I would be surprised if the chicago beer market is different enough to sell a lot of this , or if they still have a regular line up at this point. I posted about this back then, but hoppy malty beer is even more of a rarity at this point and anyone upset to be reading a repeat review should know that I'm pretty sure they changed this. this is a hazy brown ale, which is a first for me. there's a little bit of red if you hold it up to the light, but I remember the original being looking something like sierra's celebration. this has the combination of malt and american hops you'd expect from the previous version of this, but nothing is well defined and the random chocolate notes just seem odd against the mushy pine blah blah blah. meh.

suarez family brewery qualify pils - 5.5% abv. I don't think I've posted about suarez before, but as we all know by now they're a husband and wife team from livingston, ny who are known for making the best lagers you can get around here, among other things. this is their hop accented german style pilsner, which is hopped with tettnang halleratu and spaetler select. it is slightly hoppier than your typical pilsner, there's a nice mixture of straw, some sweet pilsner malt, honey, and a mildly bitter set of noble hop notes. anyone whose had this probably knows that I'm gonna say this is perfect, and it probably is. it's definitely one of the best lagers you're gonna find around here, and as good as the b-united ones are I don't think they're better blah blah blah. my strongest recommendation.