what beers are you drinking?

Hop Diggity DIPA from Mother Earth Brewing Company out of Vista, CA and Nampa, ID.  Part of their Resinator series, it was as juicy as the label indicated, and just on the edge of too bitter without tipping into the bro beer zone that a lot of West Coast DIPAs fall into.  However, it did go well with the red beans & rice we had for dinner, and even though it was 8.2% ABV it didn't feel that strong.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tonigt: full moon belgian white ale--it is not really belgian, but a belgian style witbier from the mudshark brewery based in arizona. i quote my beeradvocate.com review:   looks very nice in the gl

Click. Way too young. And let's not forget his great whisky writings.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oberon but it seems the most accessible for the masses so it is the one that is most often on tap. It is a summer beer most change out to Pale Ale for the fall/winter (I lik

Posted Images

suarez family brewery palatine pils - 5.2% abv. this is another "hop accented german pilsner" from suarez. this is another beer that's about as close to perfect as you're gonna get, at least around here. (I suppose that's what the name is supposed to mean.) this has a slightly different arrangement of more or less the same set of flavors, there's some really pleasant grass and maybe lime hop notes, some straw, malt sweetness, and so on. this is a great example of how doing a simple set of flavors really, really well can make something unbelievably quaffable. I hate to think how much of this I could drink without getting tired of it. my strongest recommendation. blah blah blah.

• Like 1

westbrook gates of s'mordor a s'mores inspired imperial stout brewed with marshmallows, graham crackers, coca nibs, and cinnamon - 11% abv. what's the point of releasing a beer that's gonna bring us all back to our wonderful childhoods if you have to add cinnamon to it to hide the booze? maybe if this wasn't one percent stronger than their usual adjunct laden stouts I could be reliving my wonderful childhood... no not really, this is fine and I think I actually like this more than the stronger, even more in your face pastry stuff that's more popular now. still only recommended to nostalgists.

On 4/13/2021 at 1:54 AM, AaronS said:

suarez family brewery palatine pils - 5.2% abv. this is another "hop accented german pilsner" from suarez. this is another beer that's about as close to perfect as you're gonna get, at least around here.

Where'd you get this, at Essex?

the retail part of three's gowanus location.

eta: I should have mentioned that they will deliver to your apartment. they've only had suarez a few times but you'd probably like their lagers.

• Like 1

three floyds brewing barrel-aged behemoth barleywine ale - 13.6% abv. this is their hoppy american style barley wine that's spent 12 to 16 months in bourbon barrels. I haven't had the base beer, although I guess I can see why they sent this version here. this is an absolutely terrific example of barrel aging. this tastes like a big barleywine, it's got a big set of raisin and caramel notes, like you'd expect, as well as some huge vanilla, pear, coconut, chocolate, and maybe cinnamon flavors on top of a little bit of smoke and some oak and a small amount of apparent alcohol. the praise worthy thing about the barrel aging, apart from how great the beer tastes, is how little this tastes like actual bourbon, although there is some in the background. I expected this to be very different from the excellent jw lees I had recently, but this is just as sophisticated and one of the better examples of a barrel aged beer I've come across. strongly recommended.

• Like 1

threes brewing creature comforts brewing company guilty by association double ipa brewed with guava, pineapple, passionfruit, and tangerine - 8% abv. creature comforts is a georgia brewery that doesn't distribute here, but I picked this up because I've had a number of fruited ipa collabs from threes in the past. this is pretty nice, it has citra and strata in addition the aforementioned juices and this is pretty well put together. you get the fruit first, but the finish tastes like hops and tangerine and this is the kind of enjoyable, easy to drink beer I was looking for blah blah and also blah.

suarez family brewery hecto - 4.5% abv. this is another more or less perfect beer from suarez. its got a great combination of tangerine, lychee, lime, and really terrific malt notes. this is just as good as any of the hoppy beer I’ve had from hill farmstead, has an amazing amount of detail, is endlessly quaffable, insert any kind of praise you want to think of, and so on. my strongest recommendation.

jw lees harvest ale matured in lagavulin whisky casks brewed in 2017 - 11.5% abv. this is a nice combination of the base beer and what I assume is decent whisky. it starts out with the same kind of toffee, orange marmalade, and pear that you get without the barrel, and then there's a really nice set of peaty whisky flavors. this is a little bit younger than the base beer I had recently, so it's not surprising that it's sweeter, but the finish is relatively dry and you get more of the dried fruit that you expect from the base beer and some more peat. it's hard to imagine a version of this beer that I wouldn't love, but this isn't it. recommended to anyone who still likes the taste of malt.

evil twin brewing new york city et stay home 3 royal treatment imperial berliner weisse with sweet cherry, mango, orange, coconut, marshmallow, and vanilla - 7% abv. et stay home was a fruit beer/smoothie series that started during the pandemic, it's since been replaced by the fructus danica series (I disliked the one I had), and now they're revisiting the et stay at home beers by adding even more adjuncts. the original version of this only had the three fruits and appears to have been an orangish red instead of the reddish purple you get here. any trepidation brought on by the berliner weisse moniker is unnecessary - there's absolutely no beer flavor here, you get a mixture of the three fruits with a lot of coconut, with the marshmallow and vanilla underneath and some odd notes that remind me of red wine and nuts, which are adjuncts used in some of the other beers I missed to try this. do I like this? no, it's like drinking a fruit smoothie with some melted ice cream in it. would a child like this? I bet both of my kids would pound this if the alcohol didn't stop them. will I continue to use the enjoyableness of the very similar omnipollo blanca beers as an excuse to drink fancy, alcoholic juice? I don't know, but I probably would have been better off chasing down some of the 450 north (a midwest brewer whose fruited "beers" command some of the highest prices in the secondary market) instead of this. I picked these beers up from the brewery, where I had three more things on tap, including a similar approach to stout that they are able to sell for $34 per 4 pack of 8oz cans and a beer made with a variety of mountain dew only sold at taco bell. the third beer I had on tap, a collaboration with mortalis, was a slightly better version of this that had white chocolate and nuts in it.

omnipollo x morgondagens x duckpond x dugges theoricus jawbreaker triple india pale ale with natural & artificial colors - brewed in north haven, ct by the 12% beer project, 10% abv. this one has nothing to do with post punk, thankfully, they replaced the dextrose or whatever they would have used to get something with this little malt presence up to 10% with actual jawbreakers, which isn’t that odd compared to most of their beer. (their instagram reveals that you need to break the jawbreakers up before adding them to the mash.) this is a big, slightly sweet triple ipa that tastes like it was made with citra and something from new zealand, I’m sure there’s no way I would have guessed this was made with candy if I hadn’t read the label. this is pretty solid, there’s some big citrus stuff at first, followed by some odd fruit (prickly pear, guava, papaya, some berries) and a little marmalade. this pretty sweet though, and there’s a fair amount of residual sugar and apparent alcohol in the finish. my mildest recommendation.

• Like 1

Almanac Brewing Company's My Old Friend, a dark German lager (aka schwarzbier). Given the 5% ABV, it looked, felt, and tasted like a mild stout, which is not a knock on it at all.  And it went very well with the big pile of BBQ, potatoes, and cornbread we'd ordered from our neighbor's catering service.

evil twin brewing new york city just another beer flavored beer double dry hopped pale ale hops:citra - 5.7% abv. this is a little bit like sam mason's artisanal chutney april fools joke - given the stuff they're pumping out I'm not sure the jokes not really on them at this point. this has a slightly bitter mixture of the orange/mango tropical stuff we're used to with citra, but this doesn't have the delicacy that so many beers single hopped with citra have. 

anchorage brewing company an eternity saison with brett and marionberries collaboration with gigantic brewing company. fermented in french oak foudres with two strains of brett and saison yeast. finished on marioberries - 8% abv. googling marionberries tells me that they're the most commonly cultivated kind of blackberries, which means I probably have had them. anchorage has made a pretty large portion of my favorite brett beers over the years, this is a pretty accessible example of what I like about their stuff that doesn't quite reach the heights their best stuff does. it's mostly blackberries at first, which give way to some big, rich brett notes that have a dry, champagne like quality to them, and there's a mixture of balsamic vinegar and white wine in the finish. there's a red wine like character underneath anything, but this is beer-as-wine done the way I like it and so on. mildly recommended.