what beers are you drinking?

anchorage brewing company just slip away sour ale with mango, tangerine, and guava aged 32 months in chardonnay barrels, bottle conditioned - 10% abv. this is    a yellow orange with a little pink in it and smells like bretty wine. this is a better example of what I like about the anchorage brett beers than the beer above it, it starts out with a mildly tart set of fruit flavors (mango, pineapple, tangerine) that have some real depth to them, then there's a little oaky white wine, and a long finish that has a lot more fruit. there's a very clean bratty-ness throughout, but I guess I do miss the hops that are so present in a lot of their older barrel aged beer. recommended.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tonigt: full moon belgian white ale--it is not really belgian, but a belgian style witbier from the mudshark brewery based in arizona. i quote my beeradvocate.com review:   looks very nice in the gl

Click. Way too young. And let's not forget his great whisky writings.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oberon but it seems the most accessible for the masses so it is the one that is most often on tap. It is a summer beer most change out to Pale Ale for the fall/winter (I lik

Posted Images

finback money’s spent double india pale ale DIPA dry hopped with citra and nelson - 8.5% abv. this is a really nice example of a new style double ipa, it’s the kind of opaque yellow you expect from this kind of beer, but it doesn’t taste like what you usually get with these two hops. there’s a nice combination of citrus and lychee that tastes a lot less like NZ white wine than usual, and this is one of the better ipas I’ve had recently.

anchorage brewing company the tide and its taker triple with brettanomyces ale aged in french oak chardonnay barrels ale brewed with styrian golding hops. triple fermented - first in oak tanks with a belgian yeast, second in french oak chardonnay barrels with brett, and finally in the bottle with a third yeast for carbonation - 9% abv. I mentioned above that the anchorage brett beers that I like so much are the really hoppy ones, but those aren't on the shelves around here at present and I remember really liking this one. this is roughly the same shade of yellow that a belgian triple would be, only this it's clear that they didn't filter this and there's a lot of yeast in the bottom of the bottle. this smells like really bretty wine and has a mixture of sour apple, brett, and buttery chardonnay notes that wouldn't be appealing on their own but work pretty well here. the brett has some real depth to it, there's a nice mixture of lemon, lime, and a champagne like dryness. there's a lot going on here, and the wine recedes as you get toward the bottom of the bottle. strongly recommended, at least to people who don't drink wine.

Brats!  On small hero rolls.  Smoked in my Gin Donabe along with some RAAAAAAAMMMMMMMPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSS to take the place of sauerkraut.

On the side, a German potato salad (also with RAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPSSSSSSS) that I can confidently say wasn't the worst German potato salad ever made.  And some sautéed fiddleheads.

I am not that happy with the Gin Donabe as a means of cooking raw sausage.  The sausage didn't seem fully cooked to me -- and I left it in extra-long.  Next time I'll grill.

Dutchess Ales Mimaze Ale

This is an Extra Special Bitter, which is generally my favorite kind of ale when I'm in England.  It's like a non-special bitter, but moreso -- more hops, more malt.  Which makes the balance extra-important:  the best ESPs are remarkable in that regard.

This is a good one.  You taste lots of hops, you taste lots of malt -- but neither outweighs the other, and they work together rather than against each other.  It's really smooth (some might say too smooth, but it didn't strike me as bland).

industrial arts state of the art series foeder aged barley wine - 11.2% abv. this is the first non-barrel aged BARLEY WINE made by a good local brewer that I've seen in a long time, and while I'm too lazy to change the font size I can assure you that I find this as exciting as anyone in brooklyn finds spring produce, even though this is not the kind of thing IA usually makes and the other high abv beers I've had from them have been hit or miss. the commercial description says this has a tight tannic structure provided by oak, cherry, and hard maple, which must describe the foeder. this is a lighter shade of orange amber than the usual barley wine and is much less malt forward than your typical barley wine. there's a fair amount of cherry at first, which gives way to a little bit of malty sweetness, little wood, cocoa, and some citrus hops in the finish, and there is some apparent alcohol in the finish. this is extremely light for a barley wine and is interesting the way the old mikkeller stuff was - there's some aspects of the flavor profile you expect from the style, along with some weird ones, and everything is really well put together and enjoyable blah blah blah. recommended.

On Wednesday, we cracked open one of the beers for tomorrow's virtual beer & tequila fest, 21st Amendment's El Sully.  We've had it before; it's a Mexican (Vienna) lager at 4.8% ABV.  Pale golden color and crisp finish.  A nice substitute for Bud/Miller/Coors/Corona, when you want to be able to drink several in one session.

grimm psychedelic gardener double india pale ale mosaic, idaho 7, and amarillo hops - brewed by grimm, brooklyn, ny, 8% abv. this opens with a surprising amount of bitterness, which is then followed by big notes of candied orange and a little resin, and then there's the kind of soft fruit that you expect from grimm in the finish, with some orange, melon, and the kind of tropical stuff you usually get with idaho 7. this is a lot more bitter than the stuff that made me like grimm so much, but the detail in the finish gives it the same kind of appeal and drinkability. recommended. 

evil twin brewing new york city to the milky way and back milkshake style india pale ale brewed with milk sugar, mandarin, passion fruit and vanilla - 7.5% abv. apparently this is the first release in a new series of milkshake ipas, which is interesting because while it doesn't taste like beer or anything like that it does have a slightly lighter body than the imperial gose I had last week. this smells like orange juice but looks more like tangerine juice with a lot of vanilla seeds in it. it's pretty tart and tastes like actual passion fruit with orange juice and vanilla underneath it. this is a lot more straightforward than the similar omnipollo beers, but if you read the side of the can it's hard to imagine being upset with what you get. I'm a child.

de ranke hop harvest 2020 - crowler, unknown abv probably around 7%. this is de ranke’s fresh hop beer, but surprisingly (to me at least) this isn’t a version of their bitter xx, a belgian ipa that’s as aggressively hopped as any american ipa is, albeit with noble hops. that beer is one of my all time favorites, the tap version I had at torst last month was as good as ever, but it’s a lot darker than this and isn’t nearly as floral. I found something that says that this is a version of their saison, which I haven’t had. anyways... this is a hazy shade of yellow orange and smells mostly of noble hops with a little bit of sweet malt underneath. that’s more or less how it tastes, there’s some straw and a little bit of honey in an other bitter finish that lingers, but this is mostly herbal noble hop flavors that are hard for me to describe, and there are some yeast notes underneath that are typical of a belgian saison. this is pretty pleasant, and I’m glad I bought it, but this isn’t anywhere near as good as the other beers I’ve had from this brewery and it’s hard not to see this as a disappointment. 

westbrook brewing co. pineapple shake india pale ale india pale ale brewed with lactose, vanilla, and pineapple - 7% abv. why did I buy this? did I think it would be something other than as described? no, of course not. if anyone reading this is wondering whether this actually tastes like pineapple juice, milk sugar, and vanilla I can assure them it does. if anyone is wondering whether this is an easy to drink beverage that's somewhere between the flavor profile you get in a soda and beer I can say there's a small amount of hops peeking out underneath the fruit and the overall mouthfeel and amount of flavor are a lot more in line with what you expect from a 7% abv ipa than the evil twin milkshake ipa above it, and this tastes a lot like a lesser version of the tired hands milkshakes I've had on tap and so on and on and also some other words. recommended to someone else.

root and branch + evil twin brewing nyc opes west coast-style india pale ale brewed with and dry hopped with cascade, columbus, comet, citra, and simcoe hops. brewed by evil twin brewing, queens, ny - 7% abv. root and branch is a gypsy brewery from long island that's in the process of opening their own brewery. they're definitely one of the best two or three breweries around here, although that may be because their stuff isn't easy for me to find. (one of them is the head brewer at et nyc, which may explain some of my continuing interest in their beer.) anyways... this is pretty much an ideal beer for me - it's one of my favorite kinds of beer made at a level that's impossible to find around here otherwise. this is maybe a tad less bitter than a lot of the classic examples of this are by the time they make it out here, and there's a great version of the pine/citrus/melon/tea combination that I really miss. this is about as close to perfect as blah blah blah and blah. strongly recommended.

• Like 1

industrial arts brewing state of the art series galaxy west coast ipa - 6.5% abv. industrial arts is one of the few local breweries that has a west coat ipa as a part of their regular line up, although it wasn't called that when they first released it. I didn't expect this to be as good as the beer above it, which has a much more attractive hop bill and is made by a clearly better brewery, but I do like power tools and this is enjoyable enough. there's the malt body you expect and then a hop bill that's pretty subdued for their beer. it's got the tropical fruit you'd expect and so on.

oxbow brewing company trisky pivo pale lager trisky pivo is a double-decocted 13° pale lager brewed with czech-grown ingredients - 5% abv. when I first saw this I was hoping it was a reference to firestone walker’s well known italian pilsner, which seemed wrong when I read the can, but this is a actually pretty hoppy, if less so than their luppulo. oxbow’s lagers are made to a very, very high standard and this isn’t that far behind the suarez ones, which is probably the highest praise I can give it. there’s a great, super clean pilsner malt presence and then some grassy noble hop stuff, and nothing else. strongly recommended.

bell’s brewing incessant double new england style india pale ale - 8% abv. I’ve been buying a lot of beer recently that can’t be good as described - the et ny sours and adjunct heavy stouts - which often end up as guilty pleasures. this is the other side of that coin - a beer that I bought knowing it wouldn’t be good because it was unlikely to be as described. bells, a brewery that’s extremely good at some things given it’s size, has had a “hazy” ipa as a part of it’s year round lineup for a while now, and while the other mass produced hazies from places like sierra are a lot closer to the real thing the bells version is drinkable enough. these bottles, which are five weeks olds, are terrible and combine a malt base that’s already starting to rot with a timid set of hop flavors that hint at the pineapple and tropical fruit promised by the packaging but are too sweet to taste like much. I bought this because I was actually curious about how close it would be to an actual ne style double ipa, but as soon as you pour it you can see that while this is probably unfiltered it’s about the same color orange that two hearted is and it’s not surprising that this is way too malty to be a ne ipa. I did think they would get the hop profile a little bit right though, and I don’t think I’ve bought anything in years that’s anywhere near this close to tasting skunked at only five weeks out. I’ll be ok.