what beers are you drinking?

evil twin brewing new york city don’t judge a face by it’s cover double dry hopped double india pale ale hops: nelson, citra - 8% abv. this is a nice example of a ne dipa made with a hop combination that I’ve always liked and is maybe a little bit underused. this has a nice combination of what you usually get from these two hops, there’s some citrus and slightly creamy pineapple stuff, and a lot of the lychee/nz white wine. the beer has the slightly thicker mouthfeel you often get with this shade of opaque yellow, and there some mild bitterness in the finish. this is a slightly better than average version of the same beer that everyone makes nowadays, which is of course enjoyable.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tonigt: full moon belgian white ale--it is not really belgian, but a belgian style witbier from the mudshark brewery based in arizona. i quote my beeradvocate.com review:   looks very nice in the gl

Click. Way too young. And let's not forget his great whisky writings.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oberon but it seems the most accessible for the masses so it is the one that is most often on tap. It is a summer beer most change out to Pale Ale for the fall/winter (I lik

Posted Images

Cigar City's Margarita Gose, brewed with salt, lime, and orange peel. 4.2% ABV. Goses can be quite sour, and this was no exception, thanks to the ingredients.  It was tangy and almost briny, but in a good way, and not very funky.  We've been drinking the various beers from the Cinco de Mayo beer fest with the chili meatballs & black bean leftovers

past & present by other half brewing american barleywine - brewed on okie street in dc, 10% abv. this is not the kind of beer that you usually get from other half, which I guess is the point of this series. this was made with some malts I don’t recognize and cascade and amarillo, which are the exactly the kind of old school hops that you’d expect to find in this now almost gone beer style. other half doesn’t seem to be able to make the kind of beer that they’re known for anymore, but apparently the dc location is the best one nowadays and this is actually pretty good. this is a little bit lighter than bigfoot and a lot hoppier. this is actually surprisingly similar to the five year old jw lees harvest ale I had recently, there’s a nice mixture of caramel malt notes, big candied orange notes, and some pear, only this is a little bit more bitter and there’s a little bit of apparent alcohol. the malt notes aren’t as well developed as the better examples of the style, but this is a decent example of the flavor profile they were shooting for and a lot of the flaws would be less apparent if I had waited more than a month to drink these cans. mildly recommended.

ettaler heller bock - brewed in germany, shipped here in a refrigerated container, canned it connecticut, 7.2% abv. this is yet another german beer with incredible malt notes from the b-united tanker project. this is a light shade of gold and has a nice mixture of bread, grain, and honey followed by a little noble hop spice. these cans are about six weeks old, and they aren't as crisp or snappy as the fresher lagers you can get around here are, but it will be a long time before threes or wild east makes a beer with these kind of malt notes. recommended.

3 floyds pear bear american wild ale brewed with pears - 8% abv. this was fermented with both brett and lacto and aged for 11 months in both wine and bourbon barrels, and really smells strongly of pear, brett, and oak. pear is actually a pretty natural adjunct to use with a lot of brett strains, and it's definitely well integrated with the brett here. there's some oaky character that tastes like white wine at first, a fair amount of lacto bitterness, and there's some a really pleasant mixture of pear, brett, vanilla, chardonnay, and bourbon that really lingers in the finish. this isn't as well put together as the best sours, it's a little bit too sour for me and all the big flavors aren't quite in balance, but this is still pretty enjoyable and I may pick up the other two barrel aged 3 floyds beers on nyc shelves.

3 floyds brewing apocalypse cow double india pale ale with lactose - 8.6% abv. this is a classic 3 floyds dipa with lactose added, as opposed to the kind of thing you get when a local brewery uses lactose, which is probably what you should expect. this has the strong malt presence you'd expect in something this shade of orange, and the hop profile is a mixture of old school citrus, peach, and a little bit of melon with a little bit of creaminess in the background. this works the same way that all the good 3 floyds stuff does despite the lactose - there's a lot of bitterness at first, but once you get past that there's a surprising amount of detail and it has the basic combination of simplicity and detail that makes a lot of the old style beer so easy to drink blah blah blah and also blah and a bonus blah. recommended.

resilience the american pale ale project of schilling brewing whilom west coast style american pale ale - 5.2% abv. schilling, which has been mentioned here a few times, is a new hampshire brewery that makes a really impressive assortment of old school european style beer. the few things I've had from resilience have been a lot more modern, but apparently nostalgia really permeates things over there and this is a tribute to ken grossman, founder of sierra nevada. this has centennial and cascade, and the end result is a lot closer to sierra nevada pale ale with centennial than celebration without chinook and the big malt presence. (that's the old school sierra beer that uses centennial.) so this is a really nice example of what sierra's stuff would be if it were the way I remember it being twenty years ago - there's some grapefruit, pine, a little bit of malt, and it's insanely quaffable the way the old sierra stuff is. recommended plus or something.

• Like 1

equilibrium harvester of science dipa - 8.5% abv. equilibrium quickly became one of the most hyped breweries in the area, which I always found odd because I managed to drink a bunch of their stuff on tap without really liking it. the stuff I've had more recently, especially their vulgar display of flower, has been a lot better, and this is pretty nice. this is made with an undisclosed mixture of hops that probably includes simcoe, and it's got a nice mixture of passion fruit, pineapple, guava, and maybe apricot that tastes a lot more like actual juice than the hops, and I'm actually surprised this wasn't made with fruit. this isn't quite as exciting as the last one, but this is definitely towards the top of the huge pile of identical north east style dipas, which is really all you can ask for. recommended.

braisserie bfm abbaye de saint bon-chein grand cru sot terne 2 barrel aged sour ale aged in sweet frenchy wine barrels brewed in 2019 bottled in 2020 - 11% abv. the regular version of this is a blend of a begian strong dark ale aged in various wine, gin, and grappa barrels and was one of the first beer as bretty wine beers I really enjoyed. the grand cru version of this was aged in a single barrel. the sauternes doesn’t make as much of a difference as I thought it would at first, the initial taste is still dark cherry, oxidized port, and a decent amount of tartness. once you get used to the acidity the sauternes becomes more and more apparent, and you start to get some brett in the finish that’s not that funky. using a single barrel has hardly resulted in a simple beverage, but the blended versions are a lot more accessible and this is mildly disappointing, especially at $20 for 375ml.

Other Half Oh...

Double Dry-Hopped India Pale Ale

This is nothing more and nothing less than a typical New England IPA, as described by AaronS so well so often above (cuz they're legion).  You get your citrus and pineapple, you get just enough sweetness to cover (although the basic flavor profile remains sour), you even, as a bonus, get some resin (I told you it was sour).  It's also a really gorgeous cloudy yellow color.

Fortunately for me, I love New England IPAs.

Bonus points cuz it's fucking hot out.

evil twin brewing nyc x monkish how about one of your pug-type beer names? triple ipa double dry hopped with mosaic, motueka, and galaxy - 11% abv. monkish is an la brewery that's as sought after in the secondary market as any brewery I can think of, I haven't loved the stuff I've had on tap (or the other half collabs) but I liked the last triple they made with etny. this is a pretty solid triple ne style ipa, there's that weird flavor that people call berry that you get with mosaic and a decent amount of galaxy like tropical fruit, so it tastes like any number of other beers, but I'd be hard pressed to guess the abv from the taste. mildly recommended.

trve brewing spirit ritual mixed culture golden ale aged on colorado plums - 6% abv. trve is a denver brewery that probably has the most sophisticated metal focused packaging that I’ve seen on beer bottles. I’ve enjoyed every beer I’ve had from them, and I’m almost positive I’ve posted about this before but the search function and so on... this is a really nice shade of orange pink and smells strongly of plums and brett. this is exactly my kind of brett, it’s clean, bright, and the beer has a nice combination of bright plum flavors and champagne with very little acidity or funk, and there’s more fruit in the finish. this is one of the better brett beers I’ve had in a while. recommended.

evil twin x dolly’s swing & dive chicken bus lager light lager - 4.5% abv. this is a guatemalan style lager, which I guess means it’s a copy of famosa or gallo, which is a 125 year old beer that I’ve never had. this is an extremely light lager, both in color and taste, there’s a small amount of malt and a little bit of lime with even less noble hop spice, and a little bit more sweetness in the finish. this is pretty well made, as the saying goes there’s nothing to hide any flaws here and this is very, very clean, and I actually prefer it to the industrial arts rice lager I had last night, but it’s hard not to think the german styles are better. recommended.