what beers are you drinking?

frost brewing lush double ipa imperial india pale ale - 8% abv. frost is a hinesburg, vermont brewery that’s been sending beer down here for a while now. I haven’t had their beer before for whatever reason, which was probably a mistake. this is one of their year round offerings and uses an undisclosed mixture of hops from both hemispheres. this is a classic example of a north east ipa, it’s got a great mixture of citrus and tropical fruit, a mouthfeel that’s fuller than usual, and a little bit of malt presence. the hops are really well done (orange, mango, a little resin, and that weird peanut butter jelly belly flavor some of the old other half beers had, apricot, quince jelly, etc and the beer is slightly sweet the way the all the other half stuff is. this is very well put together and I’ll definitely start buying their stuff when I see it. recommended plus.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tonigt: full moon belgian white ale--it is not really belgian, but a belgian style witbier from the mudshark brewery based in arizona. i quote my beeradvocate.com review:   looks very nice in the gl

Click. Way too young. And let's not forget his great whisky writings.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oberon but it seems the most accessible for the masses so it is the one that is most often on tap. It is a summer beer most change out to Pale Ale for the fall/winter (I lik

Posted Images

Almanac Beer's Secret Notion (6.7% ABV),based on a collaboration with Dashe Cellars. It's a sour ale aged in oak barrels with zinfandel grapes, which turns the beer a lovely pink color.  It's very dry and definitely tastes a bit like red wine.

king’s county brewers collective superhero sidekicks ipa india pale ale citra, mosaic, idaho 7, cenntenial & cascade hops - 6.9% abv. kcbc is one of the local brewers that I never bother to drink for no real reason, but they bothered to put a sign in the window of my local supermarket and I haven’t gone to finback recently... apparently this is the pride edition of superhero sidekicks, but I don’t know what’s different from the regular version apart from the packaging, which looks like it’s been redone across most of their line. I picked this one because it has a mixture of the now standard ne ipa hops and the older cascade and cenntenial, but this just tastes like a typical ne ipa to me. the distinctive lychee/bubble tea flavor you get from idaho 7 is pretty prominent, but the rest of it is the usual citrus/tropical fruit mixture that so many of these beers have, but having read the side of the can I guess I can maybe say that the mixture of orange and grapefruit in the finish could only come from c hops or something, except for there’s also some nectarine. this is a lot better than I thought it would be, there’s an impressive amount of detail here and I’m sure I’ll be trying their stuff more regularly.

On 6/17/2021 at 3:44 AM, AaronS said:

frost brewing lush double ipa imperial india pale ale - 8% abv. frost is a hinesburg, vermont brewery that’s been sending beer down here for a while now.

Went looking at Grand Delancey for it yesterday.  They didn't have it (though have had it in the past), but fortunately were loaded on Suarez stuff, so I picked up 2 cans each of 3 varieties.

omnipollo x evil twin brewing even more blanca raspberry maple pancake royal treatment lassi gose ale with raspberries, vanilla, milk sugar, marshmallow flavor & natural flavor added - 7% abv, brewed and packaged by twelve percent, north haven, ct for omnipollo. this isn’t just the american version of the heavily fruited sours that I found surprisingly enjoyable earlier in the year, it’s the evil twin “royal treatment” version which means they crammed even more adjuncts into this. the “beer” is a deep shade of red/purple that looks like slightly opaque cranberry juice and gives off a pretty solid bright pink head. the mouthfeel is the slightest tick less thick than some of the et nyc fruit beers, but is still thicker than most milkshake ipas and some types of jamba juice. the thing that really struck me about the de proef version of the omnipollo beer that this was based on was how well put together the flavors were despite the absurd list of ingredients, and the way that the maple kept things from being cloying. this definitely has a lot more stuff in it, the raspberry and vanilla are a lot more pronounced this time around, which makes it both sweeter and tarter than the previous version, but the transition between all the flavors is still pretty smooth, there’s real depth of (silly) flavor here, the sour finish is pretty well done, and this still works for me. strongly recommended to idiots.

omnipollo hilma double gulp! extra dry hopped extra vanilla and crispy fries burger bun triple india pale ale with natural flavors - 10% abv, brewed and packaged by twelve percent, north haven, ct for omnipollo - 10% abv. this triple ipa version is at least the third one I've posted about, and yes, as far as I know this is made with actual burger buns and fries (and whatever oils and other things that must also include) and while I won't pretend to taste any of that stuff directly there's some bread like malt followed by a bunch of vanilla sweetness, some bitterness that tastes like hops, and a hint of apparent alcohol. the use of vanilla is a lot more restrained than their collaboration with other half that I found so amusing, and this is pretty enjoyable. mildly recommended to idiots.

20 hours ago, AaronS said:

I think a vanilla milkshake and a burger are about as classic a pairing as you're gonna get in america.

I don't think I've ever had a vanilla shake in my life.    I'm really worrying this.    No, not ever, even once.

anchorage brewing company tomorrow is here double india pale ale brewed and ddh with phantasm powder, strata, and nelson sauvin hops - 8.4% abv. being able to get new beer from anchorage is always a little bittersweet, the first set of beers I had from them where extremely bretty sour beers made with a lot of hops and a truly insane stout. the stuff I see from them nowadays are bretty fruit beers and the same kind of ddh ipas that a lot of people make, which have to be very, very good to command the high prices that they sell for here. phantasm powder is made from new zealand sauvignon blanc grapes that's designed to increase the amount of three specific thiols in the beer and make it smell juicier without changing the taste, to the extent that's possible. those thiols are said to impart citrus, guava and passionfruit, and black currant and wood, so most of that is the same kind of stuff you're gonna get with strata and nelson anways. I've had some other half beer made with it that didn't really taste that much different than the stuff they always make. I haven't had enough anchorage ddh dipas to say if that's true here too. this is a pretty average ne ddh dipa, there's a pretty juicy mixture of nectarine and a bunch of not too well defined southern hemisphere stuff in the background. there's some odd bitterness in the finish that does remind me of white wine, but this is pretty ordinary and it's sad to add anchorage to one of the many breweries obviated by the local options blah blah blah and so on.