what beers are you drinking?

22 hours ago, voyager said:

I don't think I've ever had a vanilla shake in my life.    I'm really worrying this.    No, not ever, even once.

Me neither.  Shakes have always been too large for me.  I've had tastes of other shakes just a few times.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tonigt: full moon belgian white ale--it is not really belgian, but a belgian style witbier from the mudshark brewery based in arizona. i quote my beeradvocate.com review:   looks very nice in the gl

Click. Way too young. And let's not forget his great whisky writings.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oberon but it seems the most accessible for the masses so it is the one that is most often on tap. It is a summer beer most change out to Pale Ale for the fall/winter (I lik

Posted Images

maine beer company thank you 2021 india pale ale - 6.4% abv. this year’s version has a pretty interesting hop profile - it’s got saaz, amarillo, talus, and nelson, which is the czech hop used in pilsner urquel, the kind of classic american hop mbc usually uses, a brand new hop descended from sabro, and the well known nz hop that they use occasionally but not as often as the average brewery. some of those are fairly apparent - the saaz comes through pretty clearly at first, which is odd in this kind of ipa, and there’s a lot of pretty nice melon, resin, and a little bit of orange and tropical fruit with some very mild herbal notes that don’t quite end up tasting like tea. a lot of the special releases over the last few years have started to veer into ne ipa territory, which isn’t the case here. this has more or less the same balance of malt and hops that you find in their classic ipas like lunch and another one, which are definitely among the best beers of their kind regularly available around here. there’s really only two knocks on their beer - they haven’t addressed the price, which was always high and is especially obvious now that they are the one of the few hop focused breweries not to sell their beer in four packs of sixteen ounce cans. the other knock is that they rotate what they make less than any other top tier brewery I’m aware of, and whether that’s a real problem or just something that stands out against the way other breweries act I would place a pretty large bet that this is the only batch of this that they’ll send to nyc. I really hope to be able to try their pilsner before the one keg in my part of brooklyn kicks. strongly recommended.

three floyd's cheer team ale double ipa -7.7% abv. apparently this was made with every hop product known to man, which probably means cryo hops and a lot of things that often lead to overly bitter new style ipas, but this is has the same kind of malt presence that you expect in their  beer and a slightly softer hop profile. this is enjoyable but probably not as good as I want it to be.

On 6/27/2021 at 11:29 PM, Sneakeater said:

I've always found the whole burger-and-a-shake thing mystifying, to tell you the truth.

Come on! You never worked at a Wetson's or a Carrol's back in high school?

image.thumb.png.3f97f0a7023f290035c9ef0f7d1636fe.png

The pitch was something along the lines of - have a hamburger, fries, and a shake...and still get change from a dollar.

I worked at the one on Hempstead Turnpike, in Elmont, probably a stone's throw from Belmont Park. There was also one on Franklin Avenue in Franklin Square.

I think it was (and may still be) a fairly iconic pairing in America; the salt from the burger and fries being nicely complemented by that creamy, sweet milkshake.

37 minutes ago, Anthony Bonner said:

you know Carrols survives as a massive franchisee of Burger Kings? Kinda weird.  

Yeah - totally weird. Literally my first job in high school, before matriculating to the grocery/deli world.

omnipollo blanca guava lychee passionfruit lassi gose sour ale with guava, lychee, passionfruit, vanilla & lactose sugar added - 6% abv, brewed by omnipollo at deproefbrouwerij, lochristi, belgium. I've posted about these a few times, and was genuinely surprised by how much I enjoyed the first few I had. this is a lot more straight forward, and while it is tart enough that my kids couldn't drink it the only non-fruit flavor is vanilla. all the individual elements taste good, but I think it's no accident that I vastly preferred the ones with maple and grain notes.

omnipollo in plenty imperial stout with coconut, cocoa nibs & vanilla added - 12% abv, brewed and packaged by twelve percent, north haven, ct, for ominpollo. this has a pretty rich set of chocolate fudge flavors that give way to coconut and vanilla in the finish, along with a little anise, coffee, caramel, along with some unexpected flavors - orange, apricot, and maybe mint. did they actually use hops in this? did they do something weird to hide the apparent alcohol? who knows, but this is a clever variation on a very typical flavor pattern and this is above my average for this kind of beer and so on. very mildly recommended.

omnipollo blanca apricot almond deep vanilla lassi gose - sour ale with apricots, almond, vanilla & lactose sugar added - 6% abv, brewed by omnipollo at deproefbrouwerij, lochristi, belgium. the hope here is that the almonds (and double vanilla?) will make this more than a slightly tart glass of juice. this has the lightest body of any of these beers so far, and you can actually see through it in the light. it tastes exactly as described - there's a nice mixture of apricot and vanilla along with a little bit of almond, which isn't bad, but this is even less compelling without the thicker mouthfeel the others have. another meh.

the ale apothecary the walking fish american wild ale bottle fermented with honey, aged in wine barrels - 9.19% abv, bottled 11/20/2020. the ale apothecary is a bend, oregon brewer that makes wild ales that are fermented in open barrels. this one was made with local honey and dry hopped before and after it fermented, the second time with crystal hops from a nearby island. they don't send beer here that often, sometimes flake on shipments, and when their stuff does show up it's expensive, and I'm excited to finally have their beer. this is pretty tart, there's a bright, almost vinegar like tartness that almost ruins things. there's a fair amount of pleasant brett and honey underneath, along with some white wine and a little bit of american hops, and the long finish is a combination of vinegar, honey, and brett. unfortunately there's no way to overlook how acidic this is, if their other beer is more focused on brett it's probably better than this.

Almanac Brewing's Cherry Supernova sour, 5.1% ABV.  Like many of their sours, this is very dry; the cherry flavor was there but way in the background.  This is definitely not like a kriek.

thornbridge hall bracia dark ale brewed with honey - 9% abv. thornbridge has been a part of the b-united portfolio for as long as I've been aware of b-united and was one of the european breweries making american style beer that were a lot more important before the local options got so much better. this is the kind of thing that almost no local brewery could make though - it was made with a bunch of english malts including marris otter brown, chocolate, and peat, as well as some "dark and bitter" honey from nothern italy and a combination of cutting edge english hops and sorachi ace. I don't see a date on this bottle but it tastes like it's already a few years old and doesn't need to be drunk anytime soon. there's a terrific mixture of coffee, chocolate, a little bit of honey and peat, along with the.hazlenut mentioned on the label and some roasted stuff in the finish. this is an extremely well put together beer, there's an incredible amount of detail, real depth of flavor, it's clean and well put together, you can use pretty much any description of well made malty beer here (except for weird or clever) and so on. my strongest recommendation.

One of the beers we got in our Cinco de Mayo beer festival back was Hatch Nites, a golden ale brewed with Hatch chiles, courtesy of Lovelady Brewing from Henderson, NV.  It tasted about what you expect, with a strong vegetal note and a slight afterburn.  I'm not a chile beer fan generally, but if this is your thing it's fairly inoffensive.

alesmith brewing company speedway stout special edition imperial stout brewed with mostra coffee and coconut - 12% abv. the original speedway stout, which had the same abv and a different coffee but no coconut, was widely available fifteen or twenty years ago before adjunct stouts were so popular and was definitely one of the first good ones I had. there’s a richmond, va brewpub called the answer that made it’s name by buying mass quantities of this (and anderson valley’s gose) and repackaging it with their own flavors, and while I don’t know if it was influential as I think it was it’s definitely an example of something tasteful that was followed by an increasingly unfortunate trend. it’s been a few years since I’ve had the original (I’ve had a few variants made with different kinds of coffee on tap around town) this is definitely a lesser variant. the coconut hides a lot of the rich roasted malt profile you get in the original and replaces it with with something closer to chocolate fudge, and while the coffee notes are well done the overall effect is to make the beer sweeter, less bitter, and more appealing to  children, which is what people want I guess. this is definitely still enjoyable, and I have an enormous affection for their beer, but there are quite a few examples of their older beer that I’d rather have. mildly recommended to those nostalgic for mid aughts stouts.