what beers are you drinking?

ale apothecary cherry compound wild ale brewed with honey and aged in oak barrels with cherries - 9.18% abv, bottled 2.21.2020, 315 bottles. apparently this one is a blend of the barrel aged beer described on the bottle and their gose, which was a blend required in order to preserve their house style. I don't know what that is after two of their beers, of course, but this is a lot better than the last one if not really any less tart. this pours a reddish shade of brown and smells and tastes mostly like tart cherries. there's hints of oak and some brett, but there's not that much complexity and while simplicity isn't necessarily bad what's here isn't that pleasant. you could get a really nice bottle of lambic for what they charge for this.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tonigt: full moon belgian white ale--it is not really belgian, but a belgian style witbier from the mudshark brewery based in arizona. i quote my beeradvocate.com review:   looks very nice in the gl

Click. Way too young. And let's not forget his great whisky writings.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oberon but it seems the most accessible for the masses so it is the one that is most often on tap. It is a summer beer most change out to Pale Ale for the fall/winter (I lik

Posted Images

ebbs ipa no. 7 india pale ale modern, tropical & pillowy - 5.5% abv. mikkeller nyc turned out to be one the only nyc brewery that closed during the pandemic. someone told me that ebbs is the mikkeller nyc guy on the same system, which is largely born out by the three minutes of googling I just did. (the can says it was made in flushing, the ebbs website says they started in flushing but have a new brewery in brooklyn, I don't know why it implies that they don't contract brew, the mikkeller nyc space was a nice place to drink when there wasn't a game and I hope it's still pleasant without the mikkeller characters on the wall, and so on..) anyways... the ebbs cans have a clean, simple look that reminds me of the maine beer company stuff, and that's kind of how this drinks, only less so. this has a mixture of everything that modern could mean - there's some bitter citrus, peach, some softer stuff that includes guava and tea, and while there are no off flavors everything is a little bit muddled. taking a longer view it's still kind of amazing that something this well made is available at the bodega blah blah blah and also blah.

jw lees harvest ale matured in calvados casks brewed in 2015 - 11.5% abv. this is terrific example of barrel aging - the calvados notes are really well integrated with both the huge malt notes and the orange marmalade you get in the base beer, and while I don’t think there’s any question this works the base beer is probably my favorite kind of beer period and this is a little bit like gilding the lily and so on. recommended.

stillwater a sound saison hoppy spelt farmhouse ale fermented to the sounds of waves crashing collaboration with monkish - brewed and canned by stillwater artisanal - north haven, ct, 7% abv. both of these breweries have strayed pretty far from their original stated purpose - monkish used to say that they specialized in farmhouse and monastic brewing on their website, and stillwater only made saisons for the first couple years of its existence. monkish has gone on to become something that seems a lot like la’s version of other half, and stillwater started making simpler beer after their rebranding a few years ago. that wave of hoppy beer has been replaced with seltzer, and so on... I’ve only had ne style ipas from monkish, including some very ordinary ones they sent to torst last month, but this is very much like the original set of stillwater beers, which often combined strong yeast flavors with odd flavors. this combines a fairly classic lemony belgian yeast profile with some hops and the weird flavor you get with spelt in beer, which shows up in the finish, along with what I’m guessing are some classic american hops. this is pleasant enough, but the yeast really overpowers everything else, which is exactly the way I remember their old beer.

oec brewing coolship lager americana coolshipped & open fermented using only american hops our coolship lager americana is brewed using a traditional double decoction mash and hopped with american hops from the pacific northwest. after the boil it rests in our copper coolship for 1 hour. it is then transferred over our baudelot cooler into our open tanks for fermentation. after a cool fermentation using a classic czech lager yeast it is cellared for several months prior to release - 5.2% abv. I don’t actually know if this is the way that things would have been done back in the day in europe, or why they can put all of that on the side of the can without bothering to mention that the american hops they used were all noble hops (although that seems pretty obvious), or why this is so much better than the cans and draft version of the both the european hop and black lager version of this I’ve had recently, but this is definitely one of the better lagers I’ve had in the last few years. it’s not easy to say why, this doesn’t have any weird flavors or anything that you wouldn’t find in a czech style pilsner except for a little bit of noble hops spice that isn’t quite saaz. the old adage about lagers is that there’s no way for the brewer to hide any flaws, and both of the two basic flavors here, biscuity malt notes, and some slightly citrusy hops under them, are as well done as any lager I can remember. the malt notes in particular have some real depth to them and this is about as close to perfect as beer gets blah blah blah. my very strongest recommendation.

omnipollo ice creamy white chocolate strawberry double india pale ale brewed with cocoa nibs, white chocolate, strawberries & lactose sugar - brewed and packaged by twelve percent, north haven, ct, for omnipollo, 8% abv. this my the third beer in this series. the first, which was made with mango, was really bracingly bitter, which made it drink like more or less like an old school dipa with white chocolate where the citrus would be. that beer is one of the reasons I’ve been trying so many of the omnipollo releases recently, but the second one in this series, which had peach, was a cloying mess. this is kind of in between, it’s more or less as described, but all of the listed flavors are well delineated and this is a lot better put together than the  peach version. this is a hazy yellow orange that looks like peach juice, and the mouthfeel is a little lighter than the typical milkshake ipa and no where near as thick as the much more intensely fruited evil twin nyc beers. a lighter, more beer like mouthfeel doesn’t hurt here, and while this starts out with a lot of white chocolate that gives way to strawberry the combination of chocolate and hops in the finish is the kind of thing that makes me think omnipollo is so good at making these kind of beers. mildly recommended to idiots.

crooked stave x omnipollo bianca double blueberry almond cake wild wild brett fruited sour ale fermented in oak foeders with blueberries, vanilla, almonds & milk sugar - brewed and canned by crooked stave, denver, co, 6.5% abv. this pours a nice shade of red and looks like semi opaque cranberry juice after the slight head dissapates, and it really smells strongly of brett. I stopped drinking crooked stave’s brett beers a while ago because so many of them, including relatively fresh ones, had a bunch of acrid, unpleasant flavors even when they were relatively fresh. these cans, which are about six weeks old, have a really nice combination of the kind of clean brett notes I really like and the adjuncts. it starts out with some tart blue berry and then a lot of brett and some wine barrel character, and if it stopped there you might think this was a good example of a traditional barrel aged lambic, but the finish is all about the adjuncts and you get the almond, vanilla, and a richer, sweeter set of blue berry before a lingering tartness. omnipollo really are the masters of this kind of silly beer and this is a lot more interesting than last nights beer. I’m glad my misgivings about crooked stave didn’t prevent me from picking this up and so on. recommended.

finback ffarmhouse brett ale brett farmhouse ale fermented in oak - bottled in late april, 7.1% abv. that’s all the information I can find on this one, other than an instagram disclaimer warning that it’s not hoppy. it pours a bright golden yellow and smells strongly of brett with a little white wine and oak behind it, and it tastes like a traditional belgian golden ale that’s been stuffed with brett. the brett isn’t that funky and has a mildly tart set of say kumquat in the finish along with some more classic belgian yeast notes in the finish. (the reason that I was googling was to confirm the use of more than one kind of yeast.) this is solid. (I also looked to see if I had posted about it before, but didn’t find anything, or maybe their brett beer is really consistent?)

eta: as I get to the bottom of the bottle there’s more and more bad white wine here.

evil twin brewing nyc I always look forward to wearing my face west coast ipa - 7% abv, crowler pour. this is a really nice example of a west coast ipa. this looks like it's unfiltered, which means it's too opaque to really look the part, but it is orange enough and it definitely tastes right. this has a nice mixture of sweet malt and a bitter version of the dank berry you often get with mosaic, along with some citrus, pine, and maybe apricot, which makes sense given that they used galaxy, mosaic, and simcoe. I like this even more than the root & branch west  coast ipa that I had recently which was a more modern take on the style, meaning this is maltier and more bitter and so on. I really wish there was a regularly available example of this kind of beer that was anywhere near this good etc etc. recommended to nostalgists.

We were in Burlington for a few days and nights, starting a week ago. Place called Farmhouse Tap & Grill has a fairly extensive beer list (as well as ciders). Was wondering if you know of, have had, and/or what you might think of any of these...

288159942_Farmhouse2.jpg.16bf42d76f11eb7b4197d1049f0de3f3.jpg

1201060537_FarmhouseBack.jpg.86c0260be3caa60070646567538ef2c0.jpg

I tasted probably 6 of them; enjoyed the Schilling Pilsner, the Fiddlehead IPA, both Lawson's. The cream ale was okay, and the Mayflower porter was interesting.

Stayed away from the bottle and can list this time.

that's a nice list.

I don't know good measure, queen city, burlington, strange roots, mayflower, or 14th star, the rest of those breweries distribute here. so I'd probably try the hefe and the dipa in the interest of getting beer that's not available in new york.

that said, it would be hard not to order the edward from hill farmstead, which is a great example of why I (and a lot of other people) think so highly of their stuff. I haven't had a bad beer from them yet, but some of the double ipas and their brett beer are probably the best beers I've ever had. I had two of their beers at augurs well yesterday and they were terrific.

the stone beer would also be really tempting, and while it doesn't have anything to do with vermont that kind of thing is hard to find here, but I don't know if you share my love of aged barley wines. 

• Like 1

I like that they offer the smaller pours; more tastes that way. The food isn't bad (especially if you like salty), it's a damn big place. We tend to hit it each time we're up in Burlington.

I'll be on the lookout for the Hill Farmstead here now.

evil twin brewing new york city I'm really looking forward to that cross-country road trip. expect I've forgotten how to drive double dry hopped india pale ale - 8.3% abv. this one doesn't list the hops on the side of the can but apparently it was made with citra and sabro. the latter is even easier to pick out than nelson is - it really tastes more like coconut than citra tastes like grapefruit and mango. so I guess this is more or less as described, except for a little berry and peach. the finish starts out pretty bitter but gives way to a lot of coconut, and this is the kind of pleasant beer you expect when you buy a double ipa from one of the local breweries that make double ipas all the time.

threes brewing unmitigated can conditioned kellerbier - 5% abv. threes doesn't make the best lagers around here but they probably have the most varied repertoire of any local brewery and they're almost always worth drinking. a kellerbier is an unfiltered and unpasteurized beer that's supposed to have more yeast in it than the average beer, and while this is cloudy the way that a traditional kellerbier is supposed to be it was canned flat and carbonated by adding the yeasty froth on the top of a batch of their still fermenting helles. I don't know enough about german brewing to know if that's typical of a packaged kellerbier or a clever twist, but this is a little bit yeastier than the typical lager, has a nice set of clean malt notes, and decent amount of noble hop spice from the saaz. this is a pretty enjoyable beer. recommended.

lawson's finest liquids hopcelot ipa - 7% abv, brewed in waitsfield, vt by lawson's. lawson's is famous for their sip of sunshine, a double ipa that now looks more like a necessary step on the way to the ne ipa than an example of where the style actually ended up. this is somewhere in-between sip and the rest of the beer that's shown up here since they've expanded, which has been maltier and a little more bitter. apparently this recipe goes back to 2014 and uses an undisclosed mixture of eight hops from the us, australia, and new zealand. I won't pretend to be able to name them, but their antipodean options were pretty limited back then and I'm sure the american hops almost all start with the letter c. this is reasonably bitter, has a nice mixture of lychee and grapefruit with some pine and orange in the finish. there's not a lot of malt presence, but a lot of the hop notes seem caramelized in the way I really like, even though this is 7% and so on.... recommended.