what beers are you drinking?

moody tongue bourbon barrel aged chocolate barleywine 2020 vintage - 13% abv. moody tongue is a chicago brewery that takes a "culinary" approach to beer - everything has an adjunct. I haven't had their beer before, but nothing they do seems weird by today's standards. the website says that they aged this in woodford reserve barrels, but it also has a different abv, so... this pours a deep shade of amber and smells like a barrel aged barley wine. the initial taste is all mexican chocolate, which is followed by a big set of malt notes that give way to a little bourbon and fair amount of apparent alcohol. I'm sure they were going for a subtle version of what should be a huge beer, and they made one, but while the barrel and chocolate notes are well done, the malt notes really don't have the depth you need in this kind of beer and this is a little underwhelming.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tonigt: full moon belgian white ale--it is not really belgian, but a belgian style witbier from the mudshark brewery based in arizona. i quote my beeradvocate.com review:   looks very nice in the gl

Click. Way too young. And let's not forget his great whisky writings.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oberon but it seems the most accessible for the masses so it is the one that is most often on tap. It is a summer beer most change out to Pale Ale for the fall/winter (I lik

Posted Images

finback mondegreen pilsner aged in oak with brettanomyces, dry hopped with saaz and rakau. brewed in collaboration with rockwell - 7.1% abv. rockwell is a st. louis brewery that I haven't heard of. I'm not sure if the term brett bomb is pejorative when applied to beer like this, but it certainly descriptive here. there's not much else here, but I really like the bright, lemony brett notes. this doesn't really taste much like hops, but I assume they're responsible for the citrus that definitely wasn't in their ffarmhouse brett ale that I had recently. this isn't really a pilsner in any meaningful sense, but it's the best vehicle for finback's brett that I've had yet and I'm glad I picked it up.

abomination brewing company wandering into the fog galaxy double india pale ale double dry hopped with galaxy - brewed at the twelve percent beer project, 8.6% abv. abomination is a pennsylvanian brewer that makes a lot of beer at the twelve percent brewery in north haven, most of which is pretty heavy on the adjuncts. I thought I had posted about a previous beer in this series, but it looks like I just had one of their other adjunct free dipas. my take on that one was "this is an above average version of what everyone is doing" - which is definitely true of this beer. this is a text book north east ipa - there's a huge set of fruit flavors with no malt (and almost no apparent alcohol) to get in the way. this one has papaya, nectarine, white chocolate, and a little bit of grape fruit rind and some dank stuff in the finish along with a hint of booze. there's a lot of variants of this out there, I'll have to track them down and I guess this does make me more likely to buy the granola/yoghurt tipa that's around town. recommended.

a collaboration from hoof hearted brewing and abomination brewing company what the hell is even that sour india pale ale with vanilla bean, strawberry puree and strawberry power belts and turmeric, fd & c red no. 40 and fd & c green no. 3 - brewed at the twelve percent beer project, 8.5% abv. the title is a reference to a bunch of the recent evil twin what is even beers that use equally artificial flavoring, strawberry power belts are sour strawberry candy that I'm unfamiliar with, and I bought this because I really liked the abomination beer mentioned above. something went wrong here though, the cans are really squishy, the beer is under carbonated, the first few sips were extremely tart but now I'm left with a watery, flat strawberry/vanilla milkshake ipa. if you're curious about what an extreme amount of adjuncts would do to an infected beer this is for you, but I expect more from all three of the breweries involved.

abomination brewing company wandering into the fog centennial double india pale ale double dry hopped with centennial - brewed at the twelve percent beer project, 8.6% abv. it looks like last week's wandering into the fog: galaxy has done quite a number on this week's beer consumption. this is the same beer, which I think uses mosaic, pacific jade, citra, and summit, but it was dry hopped with centennial, one of my favorite older hops. we all know centennial from beers bell's two hearted (which is single hopped with it) and sierra's celebration, and while the classic mixture of grapefruit and pine you get in those beers does show up in the finish here the rest of the beer seems smaller than the galaxy version, there's more apparent alcohol, and the beer just doesn't seem well put together the way the galaxy version did. 

The Bruery, out of the hilariously named town of Placentia, CA, specializes in some pretty interesting beers, including a big selection of imperial and barrel-aged offerings.  We tried a can of the seasonal Or Xata, a blonde ale brewed with rice and lactose and flavored to taste like horchata (7.2% ABV).  This certainly had the horchata flavor profile, but it was only slightly sweet--I was anticipating a real dessert beer, and thankfully it wasn't that.  I appreciated its complexity, and while we had it on its own it certainly would go well with Mexican food. 

abomination brewing company wandering into the fog idaho 7 double india pale ale double dry hopped with idaho 7 - brewed at the twelve percent brewing project, 8.6% abv. this series pairs the titular hop with mosaic, pacific jem, citra, and summit, which worked really well in the galaxy version I had last week but not so well in the centennial one I had last night. this is a lot better than that one, which isn't surprising because this is more than a week fresher and idaho 7 is a lot closer to galaxy than centennial. this is too bitter at first but once you get past that there's a decent mixture of guava, lemon, and maybe a little peach. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the mixture of oats, hops, and whatever else goes into this works better sometimes than others, and it's probably sillier to think that abomination only releases successful combinations. mildly recommended.

hudson valley brewery feel no way pilsner - 5% abv. I don't drink much beer from hudson valley, the sour fruited ipas they're known for are not really to my taste, but part of me can't resist beer that had cachet in the trading world at some point and I've enjoyed their pilsners over the years and... this one was lightly hopped with sterling and halleratau blanc, which are both newish german hops made by crossing cascade with noble hops. this is a really nice example of a pilsner made with new hops - it's clean and simple with well defined, clean pilsner malt notes, and the hops, which are about as assertive as they'd be in a normal pilsner, add lime, white wine, nectarine, and a little bit of melon. that doesn't really sound like a pilsner, but it definitely seems like one to me and so on. recommended.

industrial arts brewing week 260 west coast style double india pale ale deep & dank - 8.2% abv. one of my constant complaints about the nyc beer scene is the lack of even a single west coast ipa (from near or far) that approaches the quality of the myriad ne style ones that come out every week. industrial art's power tools is one of maybe two examples of a regularly available west coast ipa from a good local brewer, but while it's true to style (pine, resin, sweet malt) it's a far cry from things like green flash west coast ipa or even fresh firestone walker union jack which are the beers I really miss. this, which as the name suggests was made to celebrate industrial art's fifth anniversary, is a double version of power tools, which likely means it has the same undisclosed hop bill. the hope with a double version is that the extra ingredients add some extra detail, which is more or less what you get here. the dominant flavors are still pine and citrus, but there's a little bit of tea and peach underneath and this is probably the best local version of a west coast dipa unless one the similar beers I'll buy at other half and threes tomorrow is. I wish I liked this more.

complaining about the lack of local west coast ipas made me look for more, and I found two (one of which may be a regular release) but I keep forgetting to drink this and need to get it out of my fridge.

equilibrium double fractal pentaflake dipa - 8.5% abv. this is about six weeks old, which is about three weeks after I try to drink dipas, but it made it’s way to the back of my fridge and here we are. apparently this is the first beer in a new series that combines the characteristics of two series that I’m unfamiliar with, and the same insta post tells me this has a simple malt bill along with galaxy, sabro, strata, citra, and amarillo. I’ve been pretty impressed with the last few eq dipas I’ve had, especially the harvester of science (more than good enough to forgive the terrible metal reference). this is probably showing it’s age a little bit, there’s some tropical fruit and coconut along with a lot of sweetness, but everything is muted and this was probably a lot better a few weeks ago.

threes asymmetry west coast ipa -6.8% abv. I almost always stick to lagers when I’m at threes, but this is threes first west coast ipa that’s not a collab and I have enjoyed some of those collabs. this one was hopped with strata, simcoe, chinook, and cascade, which sounds slightly anachronistic but works well enough. this has the kind of citrus you’d expect from the older hops they used, but the malt and bitterness aren’t as prominent as they would be in an older beer and this comes off as a modern presentation of the classic flavor profile, which is the way I remember the west coast ipa collab I had most recently. the descriptions of their beer on the threes website are always great, and I’m definitely not gonna be able to do better than sunny-d. this is well made take on a west coast ipa, which is less appealing than an actual west coast ipa, and so on. recommended.

other half past & present american double ipa - 8.5% abv. the side of the can says that this is based on a famous american dipa that uses cenntenial, amarillo, and simcoe, which google tells me is probably none other than russian river’s pliny the elder, which uses those three hops as well as ctz. this isn’t anywhere near as good as the way I remember the good bottles of pliny I’ve had, which means it’s not the best example of a classic west coast ipa I’ve had, but this is pretty true to the style and has a nice mixture of pine and citrus with a little bit of peach and tea underneath and this is a lot more enjoyable than anything I’ve had from one of the original california breweries for a long time. that’s really not saying much at this point tho, and the hops have that unpleasant mixture of apple juice and sugar that bad examples of this kind of beer have. copying this beer is probably exactly what I’d ask a brewery to do if one landed in my lap, but legend has it that firestone walker was able to pump pliny out for months while russian river had some kind of isssue without anyone noticing and this is isn’t that. it’s definitely true to the style tho.

finback crispy town pilsner pilsner dry hopped with tettanger, saaz, and motueka - 5.2% abv. having recently tried the hudson valley pilsner made with new hops really makes it harder to appreciate this - the great really is the enemy of the good and this really lacks the clean simplicity of the best pilsners. there’s some classic noble hop spice, some pilsner malt, and some weird fruit stuff, but everything is kind of muddled and nothing really tastes right.

rothaus-bräu eis zäpfle original black forest märzen - 5.7% abv. rothaus’s pilsner is one of the few german pilsners that show up at the better bars around here, and while I don’t know if it’s actually one of the better german ones it’s so good that even the other half version was good. anyways... this is a lot lighter shade of yellow than most of the fest beers you see in the us but is actually pretty malt forward. there’s a nice mixture of light caramel, honey, dough, and a moderate amount of grassy hops. this is an extremely well made lager, the malt notes have real depth to them, everything is balanced, and while it’s not at crisp as the best local stuff it’s extremely enjoyable. strongly recommended.

Tree House Brewing "Four". Supposedly the original recipe for their now famous Jjjuliousss beer. Very cloudy in the glass and like most of their beers, quite delicious. 

Definitely worth a stop if you are anywhere near Sturbridge, MA. Plenty of outdoor seating and food trucks. I just picked up a few four packs but most others needed hand-trucks to get their beer to their cars.