what beers are you drinking?

other half brewing more nelson than all nelson imperial india pale ale - 10.5% abv. this is a reliable single hop series from other half, and I usually like the beer they make with their hand selected nelson from freestyle hops in nz, which add pineapple to the nz sauv blanc and lychee you usually get with nelson. that’s exactly what you get here - no malt, no booze, just a nice set of their nelson flavors that aren’t as acidic as usual. one of the knocks on other half is that it’s too predictable, but in this case that’s prolly a good thing.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tonigt: full moon belgian white ale--it is not really belgian, but a belgian style witbier from the mudshark brewery based in arizona. i quote my beeradvocate.com review:   looks very nice in the gl

Click. Way too young. And let's not forget his great whisky writings.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oberon but it seems the most accessible for the masses so it is the one that is most often on tap. It is a summer beer most change out to Pale Ale for the fall/winter (I lik

Posted Images

omnipollo decuple dry-hopped fatamorgana nelson sauvin quadruple india pale ale - brewed and packaged by twelve percent, north haven, ct, for omnipollo, 12% abv. I've posted about quite a few versions of fatamorgana, which was the first ne ipa I had and remains much closer to where the style ended up than beers like heady topper or sip or sunshine, at least in it's original form. this is the most extreme version I've had yet, and I wish they told us how they managed to dry hop this so many more times than anyone else does - do they use a centrifuge to get the old hops out and do it again and again? how many hops per barrel? does this use some kind of new hop product? (new zealand seems to lag behind the rest of the world in that, but how knows?) anyways - this does actually taste like it was made with a lot more hops than the beer above it - there's some of that raw hop burn I haven't come across in a while, which is well integrated with the apparent alcohol. this doesn't really taste like nelson - there's some of the nectarine and lychee you usually get, but it's followed by some dank earthy stuff and then the hot finish. this is interesting and enjoyable, but probably less so than some fresh cans of the original version would be. 

hudson valley brewery wild garden sour farmhouse ale wild garden is a sour farmhouse ale brewed with honey, peaches, cherries, & chamomile tea; aged for one year in oak and bottle conditioned for six months - 6% abv. hudson valley is know for their sours, the ones that end up here are usually sour ipas or dipas that are made by blending barrel aged beer with fresh beer and end up in cans. I usually don't like those beers, but this is the first time I've seen them send bottles to distro and I thought this might be more interesting. this pours a nice shade of orange pink and smells of fruit and brett. it leads with an explosion of brett and lacto that's pretty bracing, once you get used to it there's some vinegary peach, vinegary honey, vinegary orange blossom, and some cherry in the finish that I don't really like. there's a lot of flavors here, but they're all pretty simple and I don't like any of it. this is really not for me.

sierra nevada oktoberfest amber marzen - 5.5% abv. sierra’s fall seasonal has been an oktoberfest for the last couple years, the early ones, which were collaborations with german brewers, we’re pretty good, but that hasn’t been possible for the last two years. I hope this isn’t the best marzen I have this year, but this is a great example of what makes the good sierra beers so compelling. the basic flavor profile is very simple - there’s some nice bready malts with a little bit of caramel, honey, and pilsner malt (an actual ingredient) with the barest amount of noble hops in the background, but there’s just enough detail here to make it interesting, which makes it very easy to drink. the tap version of this I had the other day was clearly better.

two roads ok2berfest marzen style lager - 5.8% abv. I’ve bought this for the last couple years - it’s cheap, simple, and enjoyable. this one is about the same color as the one above it, has a nice combination of dough, honey, and caramel, and a tiny hint of noble hops in the finish.

lawson's finest liquids kiwi double india pale ale - brewed in vermont, 8.1% abv. as the name suggests this one was made with nz grown hops, more specifically nelson and pacific jade, which makes sense becasue this recipe goes back to at least 2013. this is pretty close to a classic west coast ipa, it's a clear yellow, has a real malt presence, and has a nice mixture of citrus and pine with a little bit of lychee, mango, and resin in the finish. this is really well put together, there's a decent amount of malt sweetness in the finish, which doesn't ruin all the detail in the finish. mildly recommended.

evil twin brewing nyc this bodega needs a bigger marshmallow section double dry hopped india pale ale with marshmallow - 7% abv. evil twin is probably the most adjunct focused local brewery at this point, but the majority of their beers don't have enough beer flavor to taste like beer, as pleasant as their carrot cake "sour" may be. this one is a lot closer to the kind of stuff that made me enjoy the old mikkeller stuff so much - it still more or less drinks like a north east ipa. this is an opaque pale yellow and tastes like it was made with hops, only the finish is sweet and has marshmallows in it, along with some vanilla and grapefruit. mildly recommended.

ayinger privatbrauerei oktober fest-märzen authentic bavarian festival lager - 5.8% abv. this is the shade of amber orange that a lot of the fest beer that’s made and drank in the us is. this has a really well done set of the same honey and caramel flavors that all these beers have, and there’s some floral hops and a little lemon in the very long finish. this is definitely the best one of these I’ve had this year. recommended.

bell’s octoberfest beer märzen - 5.5% abv. this is as dark as the two roads or sierra beers but has more toasted/doughy malt and less caramel and honey than either of those beers, plus a lot more hops than the way I remember the way this has been the last few years. this is the least enjoyable fest beer I’ve had this year and so on. still mildly recommended.

suarez family brewing while helles - 5% abv. this is every bit as terrific as you'd expect anything from suarez to be. this is a clear white yellow, has a really nice set of bready malt notes, a little bit of lime, some grassy hops, and is insanely quaffable. I really wish suarez was easier to find in my part of brooklyn.

• Like 1

I almost don’t want to drink the west coast pale ale they have on their website.

three’s brewing far between oak-aged festbier - 5.6% abv. threes is no suarez, but they probably have the best set of lagers of any new york city brewery. they’re also within walking distance of my apartment.  this is a hazy yellow, which is strange because these kind of lagers are usually pretty clear, but it did spend thirty days in a foudre. this has a really nice set of lightly roasted malt notes, which are followed by the kind of weird detail you get in threes other foudre aged lagers. it’s not quite bretty, doesn’t taste like oak, and the tannins they use in the commercial description aren’t quite right either. the fig they use in their description is there, along with a little more smoke, but whatever it is the finish has more of the caramel and toasted malt you expect from a festbier, and the overall effect is a festbier that has a lot of depth to it. the very good is the enemy of the great, but this is pretty enjoyable. recommended.

industrial arts brewing state of the art zappa/triumph/074 hazy ipa - 6.7% abv. state of the art is ia’s rotating new beer series, I think the is it’s number in the series, which has always jumped number-wise and stylistically. zappa and triumph are the name of two new hops that I’m not that familiar with. google tells me zappa is a wild hop someone found in new mexico that’s now grown in the yakima valley, and triumph is also grown in the us but is descended from a mixture of english and german noble hops. this is more or less everything that a ne ipa should be - it’s a hazy shade of yellow, has little or no malt or wheat presence, and is mostly tropical fruit, although it is towards the bitter end of the style spectrum. this is a weird one, it starts out with some lemon with maybe peach underneath, which is followed by a weird mixture of some herbal noble hop spice and a small amount of pineapple and some other weird stuff I can’t place. this is fun, but I’m pretty sure this won’t become the next citra & mosaic or simcoe & amarillo or centennial and so on.

hubbard’s cave coco van 2021-3 imperial stout with toasted coconut and vanilla beans - brewed by une annee brewery in niles, illinois, 12% abv. une annee is a brewery just west of chicago that specializes in belgian style beer, hubbard’s cave is their brand they release their american style beer under. I’m not getting much beer flavor here, but what is here is really well put together and extremely easy to drink. there’s huge coconut and vanilla notes, along with some fudge with a little bit of anise and a small amount of roasted malt and coffee underneath. this is as good or better than any pastry stout I’ve had for a long time. recommended to people like me.