what beers are you drinking?

if places like gold star and tørst have their stuff regularly it's not strange to me at all. I've definitely had some barrel aged stuff on tap at tørst but I usually don't post about tap beer.

speaking of tørst I had a bunch of the barrel aged beers from the bruery they were featuring this weekend. there was a pilsner made using the krausen method, which was really nice, a very bretty barrel aged sour that you could get from a lot of breweries, and I had three of the huge abv beers that you can't get most places. they were all impressively easy to drink for their abv and hid their abv shockingly well, but only the dentelle was the kind of thing I'd like to have again.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tonigt: full moon belgian white ale--it is not really belgian, but a belgian style witbier from the mudshark brewery based in arizona. i quote my beeradvocate.com review:   looks very nice in the gl

Click. Way too young. And let's not forget his great whisky writings.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oberon but it seems the most accessible for the masses so it is the one that is most often on tap. It is a summer beer most change out to Pale Ale for the fall/winter (I lik

Posted Images

three floyds crushing mass barrel aged coffee stout - 15.1% abv. google tells me that this is the first release of this one, which was made with dark matter coffee, which google tells me is from chicago, and aged in willet barrels for more than a year in indiana. this is jet black, has almost no head, and smells mostly of bourbon. this has a pretty incredible mixture of really rich coffee, fudge like malt, caramel, vanilla, and there's some floral coffee stuff in the finish. there's a lot more coffee than bourbon until you get to the finish, which isn't a problem, but it's also pretty sweet and there is some apparent alcohol in the finish, but not nearly as much as you'd expect for something with this abv. this is one of the better stouts I've had in a while, especially for the relatively low price. recommended.

to øl 45 days pilsner - 4.7% abv. to øl started out as one of the gypsy brands making beer at de proef in belgium, which is also where mikkeller was making all their beer at the time. to øl opened their own brewery in 2019 and stopped sending their beer here shorty thereafter, I'm pretty sure today was the first time I'd seen new stuff here since christmas 2019 and these are definitely the first beers brewed at to øl city I've had. does the local lager scene make drinking a lager brewed outside copenhagen silly? this wasn't that much more than cans of suarez would be if I could find them, and was actually cheaper than three's vilet would be at my local bodega. to øl, or at least the de proef version that I'm familiar with, had a pretty american take on brewing, but there's no adjuncts or american hops here, which is actually what the current trends would demand. this is a nice example of a german style pilsner, there are some really well done white bread and honey malt notes with a little bit of noble hop spice in the background along with some sweetness. those are probably the same however many words I trot out every time I post about a pilsner, but this does have a good amount of detail and while it's not suarez this is a very nice beer and I'm glad I picked it up. 

to øl sur citra dry hopped sour pale ale - 5.5% abv. I remember liking the de proef version of this series a lot, and this smells like it's gonna be just as good as the original version. there's a bunch of lemon and gooseberry up front, which gives way to some sweetness and a very mildly tart set of lacto flavors and some malt. this is a really nicely balanced beer - there's more bitter citrus than anything else until you get to the finish, and there's a ton of detail here for the abv - grapefruit, lychee, some berry, japanese white grape candy, etc etc. recommended.

jolly pumpkin artisan ales aquamarine dream saison with blueberries, blackberries, lime peel, & salt added - released 2/2017, 7.8% abv. this is a great example of why jolly pumpkin's brett beers have always been among my very favorites, and how their brett makes beer indestructible, which is nice if your distributor takes almost five years to get things to market. this is as bretty as you'd expect it to be, but it's not "funky" at all, probably because there's a lot of salt in the finish where the less pleasant yeast notes always end up. this is mostly slightly sweet berry flavors with lime and maybe plum with some really rich brett underneath, which is followed by the salt and a little bit of vinegar. the overall effect is somewhere between rhubarb and umeboshi I guess. this isn't as delicate as their beer is at it's best, which isn't necessarily a complaint, but it's one of the better fruit beers I've had in a while. recommended.

põhjala cellar series pime öö islay ba ba imperial stout an imperial stout, aged in scotch whisky barrels from islay - 14% abv. this is about as strongly barrel flavored as a beer can get. there's a little bit of roast malt at first, which is immediately drowned in honey and a ton of peat. it's been a long time since I've had a whisky, but this is very much how I remember a good example of the super peaty kind. this is a delicious beverage that has a lot of well defined flavors, and while it doesn't really taste like beer anymore than your average "almond joy in a glass" pastry stout does it does seem much more like a beverage made for adults. there's a small amount of apparent alcohol, and there's a lot of slightly salty honey flavor throughout, but the sweetness doesn't register as a flaw and I really like this. I'm sure there's more to this than simply using better barrels than most american breweries use, but I'd shocked if that wasn't part of what they did here. strongly recommended to anyone who can't drink scotch but is ok with high abv beer.

ridgeway brewing imperial barleywine 2015 vintage - 10% abv. ridgeway brewing is a roughly twenty year old oxfordshire brewery that I'm not familiar with, but their mad elf series were often on the shelf with the euro craft stuff about fifteen years ago. they call this an imperial barley wine because it's abv is higher than the 8 or 9% you see in the traditional english version of the style, and the label says that it's excessive bitterness brings it closer to a traditional russian imperial stout. this isn't as thick and sweet as the jw lees harvest ales are at this age, and it definitely started to get the rounded out flavors that you get in well aged beers. this is still pretty hoppy, there's some mildly bitter herbal noble hop spice and some orange underneath it that give way to some mint tea and a little bit of caramel sweetness. this is pretty well put together and not nearly as big as the average barleywine. recommended.