what beers are you drinking?

Wolaver's Alta Gracia Coffee Porter. Now this was nice--deep and rich with a pronounced coffee flavor, but not too bitter. I think the vanilla helps to temper things. Very little foam. It goes well with meat and would be nice with dessert.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tonigt: full moon belgian white ale--it is not really belgian, but a belgian style witbier from the mudshark brewery based in arizona. i quote my beeradvocate.com review:   looks very nice in the gl

Click. Way too young. And let's not forget his great whisky writings.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oberon but it seems the most accessible for the masses so it is the one that is most often on tap. It is a summer beer most change out to Pale Ale for the fall/winter (I lik

Posted Images

I do, too. People tell me it's too bland. They can drink something else.

you know how the wine hipsters complain about "spoofy wines"? That same dynamic is at play in US craft brews I think. Overalcoholic, too sweet, overly hopped.

Bingo. "Extreme" beers for extreme assholes.

We've been enjoying some brews from Clown Shoes, in particular Hoppy Feet, Hoppy Feet 1.5 (a black IPA), and Supa Hero. All high on the hop scale, but pleasantly drinkable. Seems the house beer this season has been Otter Creek Black IPA, which is surprisingly light for such a dark beer.

I've also been trying my hand at home-brewing, using recipe kits from Northern Brewer. The kits are mostly malt extract, but use some whole grains to start the wort. So far I've brewed an ESB, a Single-Hop Best Bitter, and a Black IPA. The BIPA was just bottled on Sunday, so I can't say how it will condition out (though uncarbonated, it was delicious). The ESB (my first try at brewing) and the SH2B were both quite good, although the ESB was a little sweet.

Eventually I'll want to take the training wheels off and go all-grain, then start making up my own recipes.

not really a fan of the clown shoes stuff. the spicing in the belgian style IPA is clever but I didn't like it or the black IPA.

I generally agree with Bonner's point above, but I do think there are many, many worthwhile beers brewed with "extra" hops. totally agree about the sweetness and apparent alcohol content issue.

I think it's interesting that the prima pils has come up in this discussion, it's a pretty hoppy version of a pilsner. I think it's a well made beer (had some yesterday in fact) but I would say it's a good example of the american approach rather than a beer that shows what's wrong with the american approach.

not really a fan of the clown shoes stuff. the spicing in the belgian style IPA is clever but I didn't like it or the black IPA.

I generally agree with Bonner's point above, but I do think there are many, many worthwhile beers brewed with "extra" hops. totally agree about the sweetness and apparent alcohol content issue.

I think it's interesting that the prima pils has come up in this discussion, it's a pretty hoppy version of a pilsner. I think it's a well made beer (had some yesterday in fact) but I would say it's a good example of the american approach rather than a beer that shows what's wrong with the american approach.

I'll walk back the hops, if its just the hops that are huge. The three just seem to go together in so many beers I don't care for.

{cough}I'll admit there might be a reason why I thought of hops on this page{cough}

I'm not a fan of that particular dogfish beer, and quit drinking it because it gives me a splitting headache. I had a glass of their black & red on tap over the weekend and was shocked by how bad it was. the beer had been brewed with mint and you get the feeling that instead of saying well that doesn't work they figured they might as well sell it.

this was at the khyber pass in philly. other highlights were a victory hopwollop on cask (not to bonner's taste) and a emilesse winter stout.