what beers are you drinking?

brasserie fantome the coffee ruby very bitter taste original 1 time brew darker than habitual - 8% abv. this is even weirder than last night's beer. it's a fairly dark shade of brown and is pretty highly carbonated. there is some dark roast coffee notes with some odd herbal stuff underneath and a fair amount of bitterness that doesn't really taste like hops. the weird herbal stuff tastes a lot like last night's beer, only there was more of it last night, and this gives way to the coffee and some lemon etc. recommended.

eta: I'm increasingly certain this has some caffeine in it. ugh.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tonigt: full moon belgian white ale--it is not really belgian, but a belgian style witbier from the mudshark brewery based in arizona. i quote my beeradvocate.com review:   looks very nice in the gl

Click. Way too young. And let's not forget his great whisky writings.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oberon but it seems the most accessible for the masses so it is the one that is most often on tap. It is a summer beer most change out to Pale Ale for the fall/winter (I lik

Posted Images

finback incarnation 2021 barrel aged imperial stout with coffee and maple imperial snacky stout with invisible force columbia huila acevedo, and maple. aged in bourbon barrels - 13% abv. this is pretty much as you'd expect it to be given the other stouts they've released this winter - the adjuncts are really well done and definitely over power the barrels, the coffee maple flavor is easy to like, there's a little bit of bourbon and apparent alcohol in the finish but I'm pretty sure my kids would drink this, blah blah blah.

tap beer @ other half! other half has a pretty enticing set of new releases celebrating their upcoming 8th anniversary. most of these sold out pretty quickly, so this are mostly small draft pours. citra ipa - this is a throwback to their original single hop series, and is a little bit more new england than the way I remember it, 8th anniversary collaborative imperial ipa (west) great notion and monkish - this is a nice example of what they do so well, overly sweet hop juice with no malt and a bare minimum of bitterness, 8th anniversary collaborative ipa (east) trillium & lawsons - like the one before it, only less nelson, and oddly enough the only ipa here without citra, 8th anniversary collaborative triple ipa fidens, equilibrium, vitamin sea - a little bit more bitter and less delicate than the others, 4th anniversary: resurrection imperial ipa - this is the one that got me out of the house, their anniversary beers are usually their best and I remember being floored by this the first time around, and this is probably a little bit better than the vast majority of very similar beers you can get, for some reason that I don’t know, 8th anniversary collaborative smoothie sour the veil & omnipollo - I’ll buy almost anything with the omnipollo name on it, so this is the fist beer I’ve had with soft serve in it, I wonder if the mcdonald’s across the street finally fixed their soft serve machine, this definitely tastes weirder than the typical blueberry/blackberry/marshmallow beer, the ominpollo name really must be magic because this actually seems better made than the rest of this stuff and tastes strongly of mint, blah blah blah and also blah.

eta: stouts have always been the thing that other half can’t do as well as their peers, and I was happy to see that they have one from richmond’s the veil on tap. google tells me this is an other half collab, but it spent two years in bourbon barrels in richmond, and this has as much flavor as any beer I’ve had in a long time, including a bunch of fudge and toffee stuff I associate with stouts.

• Like 1

I can't describe beer like Aaron can but I finally got to use a 128 oz growler with a co2 cartridge I received for Father's Day. Filled it up with Other Half's Space Diamond and it was delicious. It didn't taste like an 8.5% beer and I was on my ass before the 2nd game even started.  😁 At least for me, a good balance of fruit and bitterness. Pours a beautiful hazy color and I love the lacy head a few minutes after pouring. 

other half green flowers west coast india pale ale - brewed at their dc location on okie street, 6.8% abv.  how could they have possibly not used this name by now? their website tells me that they used it for one of their vermont yeast dipas a few years ago, and having seen the can art I'll even say I enjoyed it. this is a totally different beer, or course, and combines 100% malted barley with citra, amarillo cryo, idaho 7, and strata, which is pretty modern for a west coast ipa. it's completely clear but much lighter shade of yellow than you'd expect. this tastes more or less true to style, there's the usual mixture of sweet malt and fruit, only the newer hops give you some papaya and pawpaw along with less citrus and resin than you'd expect. this is a pretty solid take on an older style and I'm glad I picked it up, although most of the beers I had last night were more enjoyable.

other half x firestone walker 8th anniversary collaborative west coast india pale ale - brewed at the original brooklyn location, 7% abv. drinking two west coast ipas from a brewery that’s a lot better at other stuff doesn’t really make that much sense, especially when their anniversary releases are usually better than their average, but I really like firestone and this is even less of a west coast ipa than last nights beer. this is a slightly darker shade of yellow than the beer above it, so still pretty light for the style, and it’s also as opaque as anything coming out of vermont or anywhere else in the north east. this has simcoe, mosaic, mosaic cryo, nelson and motueka, which isn’t that different than something like the original easy jack recipe which used a mixture of american and antipodean hops. this definitely drinks like a classic other half beer, there’s a nice mixture of stone fruit, citrus, a little bit of that distinctive nz dankness, and some berry that’s not at all bitter and doesn’t taste like malt to me. recommended. I guess I’ll start buying more of their beet again.

evil twin brewing new york city the great northern barrel aged series 23 base beer: imperial stout abv: 15% barrel: sqn red wine, then henry mckenna 12yr old bourbon fill ... aging time: 35 months adjunct: coconut, toasted coconut, cook islands tahitensis vanilla & png tahitensis vanilla & tanzania roasted cocoa nibs - I think this is the first time I've posted about this series of et nyc beers, I've had a few on tap that have been not at all to my taste but the brewer used social media to say that the previous beer in the series, which is this without the adjuncts, was probably the best beer he had ever done and they were sold out of that by the time I got around going to dumbo. I've had a couple evil twin stouts aged in sine qua non barrels, and this has the same sort of "good version of california red wine" flavors you usually get, only these are much better done and there's a ton of depth here. the vanilla and coconut show up in the finish, but they're well integrated with the dark fruit/wine flavors and this is nothing like a pasty stout. the bourbon plays a similar role, it's there in the background and there is some char in the finish, but it supports the basic wine flavor profile without ruining things. this spent 28 of the 35 months it was aged in wine barrels, so it's not surprising that it tastes a lot like a good example of a kind of wine I don't really like, but if it was that simple there would be more beers like this. I had an etnyc wild ale made with the same barrels at a friends house the other day that was borderline undrinkable, which made me apprehensive of this, but this is really delicious even though I doubt I would like the wine anywhere near this much. this isn't as beery as the veil stout I had at other half the other day, but it's delicious and this is a model use of adjuncts blah blah blah. recommended to those who like this kind of thing.

mortalis brewing company hydra sour ale brewed with peach, strawberry, and mango ice cream - 7% abv. mortalis is a an avon, ny (20 miles south of roechester) that specializes in the kind of adjunct heavy beer that evil twin nyc makes so much of. they don't normally distribute here, but they had some drafts and a few cans for sale at today's release of their latest collaboration with evil twin. they've released a lot of version of this, and apparently this is the one that wasn't selling well upstate because it was canned 10/21/21. anyways... this isn't as close to the evil twin and omnipollo beers like this as I thought it would be, it's a little bit more carbonated and is slightly sour, which helps make the almost ice cream base like body more drinkable. the fruit flavors aren't as well done as their competitors, and I've drank enough floats to tell that this was made with melted ice cream, which probably accounts for the odd "lacing" this is leaving on the glass.

mortalis brewing company gemini sour ale brewed with plum, pineapple, and crepe crumble - 7% abv. the sheet they had at evil twin indicated that this was made with crepe & vanilla crumble flavors, which is important. the mouthfeel on this one is a lot closer to a normal beer, is a very nice shade of purplish pink, and is pretty much as described. I don't think I've ever had a beer that tastes like eggs before, but this actually tastes like crepes and if I hadn't read the side of the can I would probably guess that this was made with really eggy macarons. I guess it's good that they dialed the body back a little bit or it really would be like drinking custard base.

I tried three of their other sours on tap today, and based on that I'd say these are less well put together than the omnipollo ones and I think I'd probably give the edge to a lot of the etnyc ones too. I keep telling myself I'm done with these beers, but I'm sure I'll try the burley oak and 450 north ones when the opportunity presents itself.

evil twin brewing nyc at what point can we stop saying happy new year? west coast ipa with citra, idaho 7, & sabro - 6.5% abv. I'm glad that the west coast ipa is becoming trendy again, and I understand that people don't want to remake the green flash and russian river beers that I really want to drink, and so on, but I don't know why this comes off as odd instead of interesting. there's the usual mixture of malt and citrus at first, but it's followed by an odd combination of bubble tea and strawberry that makes the malt interact with the hop flavors in the way that a west coast ipa should even if it doesn't taste like one blah blah blah and also blah.

other half brewing 8th anniversary imperial india pale ale - 10% abv. I've missed the last two other half anniversary releases, but the convenance of online ordering allowed me to pick up all of the anniversary imperial ipas they released this year. this year's anniversary iipa has citra and mosaic from the us, australian enigma, nz motueka, idaho 7, and finally citra cryo and citra incognito, which I think qualifies as citra hdhc in other half parlance. it's been a long time since I followed other half as closely as I did, but this is just as citra focused as most of the collaborative beers I had on tap the other day. this is a big, juicy beer that has a nice combination of pineapple, peach, with a little bit of mango and the barest hint of apparent alcohol in the finish. I've probably used those words to describe several hundred ipas on this site, but this is a very nice version of those flavors and so on. recommended.

other half brewing 7th anniversary imperial india pale ale - brewed on okie street in dc, 10% abv. this one has citra, citra cryo, nz grown motueka and riwaka, along with cashmere and eukanot. this is a lot like the beer above it, only the nz hops are a lot more prevalent, so there's the usual set of citra flavors followed by a little bit of grapefruit and the kind of resin you get in a lot of other half beers. as I said above I don't follow their beer enough to know if this is representative of what they were doing a year ago, but this is excellent and so on blah blah blah and also blah.

other half brewing 6th anniversary imperial india pale ale - this one's got citra, mosaic, and sabro incognito, the cryo version of cashmere, citra, and tomahawk, as well as the pellet version of galaxy, cashmere, riwaka, and strata. this is a lot like the two beers above it, only not as good. there's a similar flavor profile, but it's marred by some cryo hop buzz, and it's a little too sweet. this isn't that much worse than the two beers above it, but as oakapple would say if you have three other half anniversary beers in a row one of them will be the worst, and so on...

other half brewing 5th anniversary is dead. imperial india pale ale - brewed at the other half upstate, 10% abv. the last of the anniversary iipa reissues has citra, galaxy, mosaic, nelson, and citra cryo. I had this when it was first released and remember being pretty floored by it, but the 7th and 8th were both a lot better than this and it seems overly bitter and sweet the way the 6th did without all of the detailed tropical stuff to make up for it. this has a big version of the familiar mango/nectarine flavor profile with some nelson and booze underneath. to the very limited extent my memory means anything this was a lot better the first time around, but who knows blah blah blah and also blah.

mortalis brewing kratos imperial stout - 11% abv. this is a stout from the people who made the pastry sours reviewed above. I had one of their "stouts" made with cinnamon toast crunch on tap at evil twin and it was the least stout like pasty stout I've had yet - it was brown orange instead of black and tasted a lot like the way I remember that cereal. this one looks like a stout, even though it's got house roasted peanuts, dominiacan cacao nibs, and marshmallows in it. this has a huge set of roasted flavors that taste somewhat like peanuts, with some coffee and maybe chocolate malt on top of the marshmallows and some odd grainy stuff. I'm not sure that this should exist, but it does, and while I can't say it's sophisticated or anything like that it's a lot better made than it has any reason to be and I can't pretend it's not delicious blah blah blah.

other half x schilling 8th anniversary collaborative pilsner - brewed at other half on okie street in dc, 5% abv. I was kind of surprised that other half's anniversary releases included a pilsner, but maybe they'll seize the opportunity presented by the  recent disappearance of two of the local scene's better lager makers and start making more of them. the announcement for this says it was brewed for them by schilling, which hopefully shows awareness that they have a long way to go. this one has bohemian pilsner malt, hersbrucker and halleratu mittlefruh hops, and used a single decoction. google tells me decoction is a when a portion of the mash is removed, boiled, and returned to the mash, which allowed you to have a multi temperature mash process if you were brewing before the invention of the thermometer, and was widely used by german style breweries to increase the complexity of the malt flavor. and... this is a pretty nice example of the pilsner flavor profile, there's some slightly grassy hops, pilsner malt, etc, etc. this is on the low end of hoppiness for a german style pilsner, which isn't really a complaint. mildly recommended.