what beers are you drinking?

other half x firestone walker pivo snaps rice lager - brewed at other half in dc, 4.5% abv.  this is, as the name suggests, a cross between other half’s poetry snaps rice lager and firestone walker’s pivo pils, their italian style pilsner. pivo, long one of my favorite cheaper beers, just returned to production after a few years hiatus and the tap version I had recently was a lot cleaner than the way I remember the cans and had the same great combination of tangerine and noble hops and pilsner malt.  this combines pivo’s pilsner malt with rice, and uses halleratu mittlefreh, spalter select, saaz, and saphir, which combines the saaz and saphir other half uses in poetry snaps with the spater select, tradition, and saphir you get in pivo. collabs like this are often less than the sum of their parts, but the other half pilsner collabs with rothaus and omnipollo have been the best lagers I’ve had from them, and the omnipollo one was also a rice lager. this isn’t big enough to be a pilsner, but it definitely hoppy the way that pivo is and has a terrific combination of saaz and some citrus hop notes along with a light malt body that has a tiny hint of sweetness. the other bad thing about collaborations is that the few good ones usually don’t show up again, but hopefully this gets reissued as a part of their 9th anniversary celebration and so on and on. is this better than suarez? it’s not that that much worse. recommended.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tonigt: full moon belgian white ale--it is not really belgian, but a belgian style witbier from the mudshark brewery based in arizona. i quote my beeradvocate.com review:   looks very nice in the gl

Click. Way too young. And let's not forget his great whisky writings.

I'm not a huge fan of the Oberon but it seems the most accessible for the masses so it is the one that is most often on tap. It is a summer beer most change out to Pale Ale for the fall/winter (I lik

Posted Images

suarez family presents big night big night is our pale of mixed fermentation brewed with a generous portion of raw grain sourced from our neighbors,. briefly ripened in oak casks and delicately dry hopped prior to packaging - bottled 12/20, 5.6% abv. there's a different description of this on beer advocate that says this was made with brett and dry hopped with modern/fruity hops, and while I'm sure that's true this is a pretty subtle use of both techniques, although you can't really get this much detail without using some kind of wild yeast. the beer is a clear shade of yellow that has a pretty substantial head at first. there's an incredible mixture of fruit at first - plum, cherry, peach, which give way to a mixture of hay and wildflower honey and ends with some very mild tartness and a little bit of american white wine. the tartness reminds me of brettanomyces bruxxelensis, although I have no idea if that's correct or not. this is an excellent beer, one of the very few that has a wine like depth and complexity without tasting like shitty natural wine, and so on. the first time I had one of their pilsners I was immediately struck by how much better it was than almost any other beer of it's kind I'd had, and that's probably true here too, although maybe I prefer a few things from two or three breweries. my strongest recommendation. blah blah blah.

evil twin brewing nyc retro series lil'b imperial porter - brewed in ridgewood, 11.5% abv. lil'b is one of the older beers from evil twin's two road period, and I'm pretty sure this is the base beer for their heavily adjuncted imperial biscotti break, which actually came out before this did and was made at westbrook before two roads started cranking it out at a much lower price point. this definitely tastes like one of the original evil twin stouts, only with a lot better malt flavors and less apparent alcohol. this has a great mixture of fig, caramel, dried fruit, toffee, roast coffee, etc and is one of the better malt forward beers I've had in a while. etnyc is probably the best brewery that this brand has worked with, at least by the time the beer gets to nyc, so it's not surprising that this is better than the original but I'm surprised by how much I like this. recommended.

I realized that I didn't have any good beers in storage that would go with the red beans & rice I was making.  On our meanderings up in Solano County yesterday, we came across the Solano Brewing Company, and I got a crowler of Rednado, their American red ale (5.8% ABV).  It's a beautiful red-brown with just the maltiness I was looking for, without being sweet like a porter or stout might be.

Solano County is definitely a no-masking zone now though.

firestone walker hopnosis ipa - 6.7% abv. there’s a nice piece on the paste website that correctly places this as part of a very welcome west coast ipa revival. firestone has joined a lot of their peers in sending very little of their beer here, and I special ordered this in the hopes that it would show up fresher than the union jack and mind haze I occasionally see around. these cans were off code when they showed up though, and you’re probably better off with the last of sierra’s current seasonal if you want something like this. I really miss the days when I was happy with the 8.99 six packs of two week old union jack the grocery store at bedford and kosciusko always had blah blah blah. 

other half brewing magic green nuggets imperial india pale ale with freestyle hops new zealand grown cascade - brewed at the bloomfield other half upstate, 8.5% abv. the original version of magic green nuggets goes back to july 2016 and uses cascade hops from segal ranch in yakima county, which are said to be the best examples of the classic cascade hop that we all know from beers like sierra nevada pale ale and the original anchor steam liberty ale, and harpoon ipa. those older beers don’t have much in common with this, of course, but the nz version of cascade has so much of the lychee/nz white wine thing that this is unrecognizable as cascade to me. there is a little bit of citrus underneath, but I’d probably guess this was mostly nelson with a little bit of simcoe and so on. this was the only beer oh released for nz hop week that used a hop that was new to me, I probably would have enjoyed one of the all riwaka ones more. that said this is a pretty classic example of an oh iipa, it’s a little bit sweet, has a pleasantly creamy mouthfeel, and isn’t that bitter and so on.

13 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

There is nothing funny about Genny Cream Ale.  

We're both a product of upstate schools in a way (though me further upstate, though only for a year until they kicked me out); Genny Cream Ale was one of the few on offer in our "rathskeller" and I can state that it wasn't horrible, depending on the quality of the hallucinogenic.