mongo_jones

what beers are you drinking?

mikkeller spontanblackthorn sour ale brewed with blackthorn & aged in oak barrels - brewed at de proef, 7.7% abv. wikipedia tells me that blackthorns have a strong astringent character when they're fresh, and apparently their fruit is used to make spurious port wine or to "roughen" real port. this exhausts my minute old knowledge of the blackthorn. and…. this one is purple, the fruitiest of the three I've had in this series, and tastes like tart cassis or maybe blackberry with jammy red wine undertones, with a small amount of traditional gauze flavor underneath the fruit. this is pretty accessible, it's tart but not funky, which I guess is another way of saying it's not that interesting.

Over here Sloe is the fruit of the Blackthorn and is, I think, of the plum family, it makes a good flavoured gin, a British favourite at Christmas, and the Spanish infuse anise with it to make Pacharan.

The best pint I've had recently was a pint of Harvey's Best Bitter at the Angel in Hindon, Wiltshire.

• Like 1

prairie artisan ales funky gold amarillo a dry-hopped sour ale - brewed at krebbs in ok, 7.5% abv. this is a nice mixture of citrusy hops and bretty funk, and while I should pretend to know where each element comes from the combination of orange, pineapple, grapefruit, not quite ripe mango, and funky lemon is exactly what I like. there's a nice combination of biscuit and wheat underneath everything, and there's a nice grassy edge to everything that works well with the brett. I really like the size of the beer and the way that nothing intrudes on anything else. this is probably my favorite prairie thing so far, recommended.

also tap beer! barrier evil giant - meh, sierra nooner pilsner - pretty good for what it is (easy to drink beer with a slight amount of personality), and some evil twin lil b - I really enjoyed this. hot, but in a good way, and the alcohol is really well integrated with the roasted notes. I imagine this is what those alesmith beers are supposed to be like.

other half brewing ipa - growler purchased at the brewery, 7.1% abv. this is a straightforward west coast ipa made with cascade, centennial, chinook, and simcoe. it's probably pretty easy to guess what this will taste like, and whether or not I like it. …. I like it! this is clean and well done, no apparent alcohol, and the hop profile is mostly resin & grass with some citrus, as I said it's a classic west coast style ipa and doesn't have the insane tropical fruit the singlecut beers (their local competition) has. i think even six week old cans of ballast point sculpin are better, but it's very nice to be able to get this at the source.

The best pint I've had recently was a pint of Harvey's Best Bitter at the Angel in Hindon, Wiltshire.

Harvey's. Sigh. Excellent bitter.

pizza boy brewing co. eternal sunshine dry hopped sour ale - 5.2% abv. this is my first exposure to this enola, pennsylvania brewery, which recently entered the nyc market. this is much more sour than it is hoppy, with a tart sour apple note that covers the hops and only lets the malt appear at the end. I think this was made with a mixture of nelson and citra hops, it has a nice mixture of vinous hop notes, white grape juice, and traditional citrus and resin, which are all competing with the over whelming notes of tart apple. I haven't had anything this hoppy made with what I assume is lacto, and the combination really works for me. this has a really impressive amount of flavor for the abv. recommended.

stillwater rio desauvin tropical farmhouse ale farmhouse ale brewed with mango juice and passion fruit juice - brewed by 12 percent llc in westminster, md. this is billed as stillwater's remix of against the grain's rico de sauvin, an imperial ipa which highlights nelson sauvin hops, but the natural comparison is evil twin's molotov light, which is made with mango and passion fruit puree. this is even more fruit forward than molotov light, with sharp passionfruit and mango dominating before giving way to a decent combination of wheat and yeast. this is a strange one, the fruit doesn't quite taste like hops and while the wheat is enough to keep this is beer territory this is not for me.

also more to øl / mikkeller ov-ral & ballast point sculpin, which taste like beer.

firestone walker double jack imperial ipa triple dry hopped - 9.5% abv. this was made with a mixture of warrior, columbus, centennial, cascade, simcoe, and amarillo. why do I like this so much better than the other half ipa mentioned above? the hop profile is much more complex, which you might expect given the number of hops involved. this has a really great mixture of the typical citrus, pine, the tropical notes you get with simcoe & amarrillo, which are the descriptors I always trot out for this kind of beer, that are joined by a pleasant grassiness and some green mango. the brewers description has blue basil, which is better than anything I can come up with. blah blah blah. this has a really impressive complexity that sets it apart from the competition. this isn't perfect, it's a little bit sweet, and the alcohol peeks through, but the malt notes are well done, it's easy to drink, and it's pretty delicate given the abv. I would drink this regularly if the abv were lower. recommended to fans of the style, and one of the better readily available beers I've had in a while.

other half nelson ipa - growler purchased at the brewery. this was made with an undisclosed mixture of hops, but as the name tells us it's designed to taste like nelson sauvignon hops. and it really does. there's a slight amount of biscuit malt, but this is nothing but the flavors I associate with nelson sauvin. so it's that indescribable combination of lychee, rambutan, white wine, grass/resin, and bright citrus that I've come to associate with the words nelson sauvin. this is less vinous than the other nelson sauvin beers I've had, which is a good thing in an ipa. this is probably my favorite other half beer so far. I hope they can or bottle this. recommended if you come across it on tap.

​other half superfun! pale ale - 4.5% abv. this is the first canned offering from gowanus's own other half brewing. (get the joke now? it's from a superfund site. superfun!) the pale ale descriptor here is a little misleading, this is hopped the way a session ipa would be, but maybe it's too malty for that and we're back at pale ale blah blah blah. anyways, this is one of their better efforts. the mixture of simcoe, galaxy, and el dorado hops gives it those tropical fruit notes I like so much, and the grainy malt notes that accompany them are well done, but what's really nice about this is the restrained way the orange, passionfruit, mango and so on are presented. I think last night's nelson ipa tastes better, but this is more impressive.

to øl/mikkeller ov'rall iipa imperial american pale ale wild yeast iipa - brewed at de proef. this is a version of the first to øl/mikkeller release (the overall iipa) made with wild yeast (orval). as it happens I've actually had some pretty old overall iipa, and I'm not sure how old this is. (most de proef beers have a numerical code on them that often contains a date that's not in the future. if the date on the cap was the date it was bottled on it's more than two years old. blah blah blah) anyways, this is pretty good at this point. big orange/grapefruit citrus notes that have a kind like metallic candied fruit character give way to more tropical notes and some resin , and while there's definitely some bretty complexity underneath everything I wouldn't call this funky. if you can get past the sweetness there's a lot of complexity here, and this is definitely a great take on the american iipa. recommended to people who like iipas as much as I do.

I'm drinking this right now, and Aaron's description is almost exactly what I'm tasting.

This actually works!

I thought that brewdog's sink the bismarck (one of the bottles on the list liquid posted) was terrible. it was also the most expensive bottle of beer I've ever had btw.

my wife stopped me from buying the one in the dead animal, which would have been even more. you could get it in two or three different kinds of animals, which were slightly different prices IIRC.

also the prices on that list are way off. the sink the bismark was around 80 when it was initially released, and you had to pay them to mail it to you from scotland. I've since seen it as a legal import to the us for about $45 a bottle. end of history was under $200 IIRC, I think the cheaper animal was about $140?

sneak - as always you're too kind. I love that to øk/mikkeller beer. I had four or five of the last case brooklyn larder brought in.

Actual image of the roadkill beer:

zTP7jSF.jpg

I have to get a bottle of this stuff. :D

ETA: Bummer, it looks like they only ever produced 11 bottles for sale.

the rate beer reviews are all from late last year, and it looks like jeppe from evil twin/torst gave people the bottles, so torst might sell you one.