La Caja China

Not to toot my own horn but the grill on top is a mod that I've made on my caja china. Seemed a terrible wasted opportunity to let all that heat escape in the direction God intended it to go without burning a little meat on the way.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to toot my own horn but the grill on top is a mod that I've made on my caja china. Seemed a terrible wasted opportunity to let all that heat escape in the direction God intended it to go without burning a little meat on the way.

Can you explain how you made the footed grate for the top? Picture please.

Thanks

Its a good idea, I just dont see what else you need to be cooking if you have that pig coming out in 3 hours.. Maybe some corn or something.. That heat is crazy intense..

You're right about the heat. I wish there was something we could do with the waste heat / carbon imprint these suckers throw off. I like the idea of doing something on top of the fire, but all I want with my roast pig is cold beer, and some ice cream. Neither work well with the top-fire.

• 1 month later...

Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce

1 quart cider vinegar

12 oz Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1 T red pepper flakes

2 T salt

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp celery seed

2 T Worchestershire sauce

Juice of one lemon

1 T chipotle powder

1 tsp dry mustard

1 T onion powder

Directions:

Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Let cool, and bottle. Great with Carolina style pulled pork BBQ sands.

Suggestions on brine for a 25 Lb pig we are roasting in a La Caja tomorrow? 8 hours enough time?

Sugar, Salt and Water? Thyme?

What about recipes for a sauce? Anyone have a foolproof sauce?

One thing I do is go with combination of sake, brown sugar, garlic, paprika,salt, and pepper.. Which is a good combo.. 8 hours is ok, a day or more is better.

The only I used the caja china I went with a cuban marinade.. I went sour orange (sub lime and orange juice), tons of garlic, and oregano..

Mojo is the way to go with the piggies, I think. If you can inject it, that's even better, but I agree with Daniel on the brining time-- longer would be better. Bright flavors like citrus or vinegar help to bring out the sweetness of the meat and cut some of the richness.

For the goat, I would butterfly it and rub it well inside with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and lemon juice. If you are spit roasting brush it with some of the same on the outside.

Mojo is the way to go with the piggies, I think. If you can inject it, that's even better, but I agree with Daniel on the brining time-- longer would be better. Bright flavors like citrus or vinegar help to bring out the sweetness of the meat and cut some of the richness.

For the goat, I would butterfly it and rub it well inside with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and lemon juice. If you are spit roasting brush it with some of the same on the outside.

Any herbs for the goat...