Football 2007-2008

1. Michael Vick. We'll get to that later.

2. Pre-season has been pretty uneventful. Because pre-season games aren't worth much.

3. Tiki Barber let his teammates down and retired. Michael Strahan retired. Eli Manning better have that breakout year. Now.

4. How's Chad's shoulder?

5. Has Romo found the rosin bag?

6. Colts took a big hit, losing the left tackle. They seemed to have filled their holes on defense.

7. Tom Brady: New baby, new babe. New receiver. Strong running back.

8. Michael Vick. He didn't hit his girlfriend, do or sell drugs. He didn't admit to killing dogs or betting on them. Really, what is the usuall punishment for being involved in dog-fighting ring?

9. On boxing news, thousands of underprivileged men and women are beating the shit out of each other every night. Good thing their cousins aren't soft and cuddly.

10. My humble prediction: Colts over the Cowboys in January.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be honest and say I am not a football fan by any means - I'm not even positive it's a sport. It reminds me of the early James Caan film - "Rollerball." When I worked for ABC Sports I did an interview with a "nameless" owner. He told me off the record (which is why I won't mention his name), that most teams emply an "attack" defense. That means that on each play (rushing or passing) someone is designated to hit the quarterback it at all possible for the purpose of injuring and getting him out of the game. It matters little if they receive a 15-yard penalty, if they remove the starting QB. That's not a sport, it's a physical exhibition.

I still maintain that if there was no betting on football, ratings would be less than half. People forget the NFL has been around since circa 1920 and truly didn't become popular until the mid 60's. Two things happened then - one was the invention of replays so people could actually see what was happening on the field; and second the proliferation of betting and point spreads through media outlets. Networks went so far as to hire professional gamblers as analysts - see Jimmy the Greek.

With that out of the way, I think the Vick case is typical for the NFL. How many players need to be arrested for violent crimes before people come to the conclusion football is not a sport? But in defense of the players, how can anyone expect them to act differently when violence of any type is condoned on the field. Psychologists will tell you it's not easy to turn that spigot on and off.

My hope for this season is that NFL ratings and attendance will plummet and eventually the league will disband or they should change some rules and rename it Rollerball. At least that way the league will be honest will itself and the public.

1. Michael Vick did not plead guilty to a violent crime. No one was hurt. Just dogs. Let's not forget that. Dogs.

2. Is football more violent than boxing? How about hockey, which has rules about fighting?

3. I'm not sure how you support your argument that football is popular due to instant replay or betting, as opposed to the fact that it's just a more interesting game than baseball or basketball.

4. Football is violent. I guess it's a good thing we don't allow rugby to be played here.

5. A quarterback for the Cardinals (Rosenbach?) quit because he felt he couldn't turn off the violence before he went home. (Hewas also a mediocre QB on a bad team.) That is why I support legislation which prohibits any member of the armed forces from marrying or have any contact with unarmed people.

...I think the Vick case is typical for the NFL.

I'd be interested to see if you can back that up. Of the 1300 active NFL players what percentage have been arrested this year? Compared to young men of similar ages and backgrounds, does NFL membership make them more likely to run into trouble with the law?

Numbers please.

Michael Vick did not plead guilty to a violent crime. No one was hurt. Just dogs. Let's not forget that. Dogs.

Can you provide me with a couple of examples of people who tortured and killed animals but otherwise were swell human beings?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions today but I'm just in one of those moods.

Michael Vick did not plead guilty to a violent crime. No one was hurt. Just dogs. Let's not forget that. Dogs.

Can you provide me with a couple of examples of people who tortured and killed animals but otherwise were swell human beings?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions today but I'm just in one of those moods.

I'm not saying he's a swell human being. And it's not like he's some psycho sitting in his basement torturing dogs. From what I've read, he didn't admit to actually killing any dogs. He was involved in a dog fighting ring. Sure, I think that's pretty shitty, but no one got hurt. It's not like he managed a boxer or anything.

...From what I've read, he didn't admit to actually killing any dogs. He was involved in a dog fighting ring...

If by 'involved' you mean he ran it out of his backyard at his home in Virginia, providing most of the gambling funds. And if 'didn't admit to actually killing any dogs' means he didn't use his own two hands, but knew about and gave approval to hanging and drowning the losing dogs, then yeah, I guess you're right.

Washington Post

That said, the story of his own senseless ruin is probably the most tragic one in this mess.

I'd be interested to see if you can back that up. Of the 1300 active NFL players what percentage have been arrested this year? Compared to young men of similar ages and backgrounds, does NFL membership make them more likely to run into trouble with the law?

Numbers please.

Just typical with respect to NFL players. There have been a number of cases in the news in the last few years - no need for numbers, just stating the obvious.

he has admitted, in a way that avoids saying it directly, that he participated in the killing of dogs who lost fights. boxers and nfl players deal with concussions but they're not put down, as far as i know, when they lose.

here's the text of the statement. a non-denial and a non-admission:

"Vick agrees and stipulates that these dogs all died as a result of the collective efforts" of Vick and two of the co-defendants, Phillips and Peace, the statement said.

does sound a lot nicer than, "they took turns killing the dogs".

Numbers please.

Just typical with respect to NFL players. There have been a number of cases in the news in the last few years - no need for numbers, just stating the obvious.

OJ!

Numbers please.

Pure Nathanism in action. Assert something and then claim it's "obvious" with no further proof needed.

Come on Rich. Look, I think it's perfectly fine if you don't like football. The fact that you're a baseball fan balances that out. :) But dropping in on a thread about a sport you despise and tossing hand grenades left and right entitles those of us who like the sport to ask you to back up your assertions. You haven't.