Oakville Grocery in the Domain is open

Oakville Grocery in the Domain opened on Sunday. Little to no fanfare. It has some interesting wines and the wine prices are not bad. Check out the pastries. They have procured them from local bakeries, etc. They all look delicious. The breads appear to be from Mandola's, just priced higher. Other items, fresh meats and deli meats, are over the top

Go check it out and let me know what you think about it.

From Wikipedia:

The first phase of the project, The Domain, opened on March 9, 2007, and includes 700,000 square feet of restaurants, office space, upscale retail stores, apartments, and a hotel. The retail portion of the project has attracted many retailers and restaurants new to the Austin market. An 80,000 sq. ft.Neiman Marcus and a Macy's anchor, along with 70 specialty stores, including an Apple Store (retail), a Barneys New York CO-OP store, Burberry, Victoria's Secret, Tiffany & Co., BCBG Max Azria, Calypso Christiane Celle, Anne Fontaine, Lacoste, Lily Pulitzer, Betty Sport, and a Borders Group bookstore. Restaurants include Brio Tuscan Grill, Martini Park, McCormick & Schmick's, Daily Grill, Jasper's, Kona Grill,The Steeping Room, & California Pizza Kitchen.Napa Valley, California-based Oakville Grocery, a 125-year-old gourmet specialty food and wine retailer that has signed a lease for a specialty grocery store.

Have you ever watched episodes of The Prisoner? That's what walking around in the Domain is like. Or a high-end Disneyworld. Just not interesting to me.

Well............I do the Domain. I am a snob and an elitest when it comes to some of those stores. Besides, I usually buy special gifts for friends from Tiffany's, so I no longer have to order from the webste. I can go directly to the store. It is also a good people watching venue.

For those of you who not familiar with the area, the company that is developing the Domain bought the campus from IBM several years ago. I used to play softball at company picnics on the spot where Oakville Grocery is located. I used to work as an engineer manufacturing circuit cards in the building where the Texas Culinary Academy is located.

Boy.......how time changes everything.

Heading north on Mopac, past 183 - not the prole mall before Braker with Home Depot and DSW - just past Braker - the humongous upscale mall on your right. The few times I've walked in past Borders, I did feel as though I were on F52's The Prisoner set

• 2 weeks later...
Besides, I usually buy special gifts for friends from Tiffany's, so I no longer have to order from the webste.

Wow, how does one make it onto the Tiffany's list? :D

BTW Austin folks we need to gather and feast together soon.

Next time I see you I'll tell you. The list is quite short. You might be able to make it on there, though!

Managed to pop in while running an errand nearby this morning. Pretty much what I expected. Lots of prepared foods, counter for pizza and the like, pre-sliced and wrapped cheeses, lots of domestic wines, the usual assortment of dried pastas, rice, etc. Mediocre-looking produce. My focus when it comes to grocery stores is the quality of ingredients and in this respect it appears pretty similar to the mediocrity of Central Market and Whole Foods.

There were a few pieces of well-marbled beef at the scattered meat counter. I picked up a piece of "Kobe" tri-tip for $21/lb, I believe.

My focus when it comes to grocery stores is the quality of ingredients and in this respect it appears pretty similar to the mediocrity of Central Market and Whole Foods.

Could you elaborate a little more on this?