Madeleine L'Engle

I loved that book! I was just telling the oldest child about it and he said "Yeah, yea, they probably go back in time and it's just an excuse so we have to learn things. It's never cool. You think you're fooling us but it's about learning!"

i actually don't remember what it's about but I do remember loving the camaraderie of the characters.

I loved that book! I was just telling the oldest child about it and he said "Yeah, yea, they probably go back in time and it's just an excuse so we have to learn things. It's never cool. You think you're fooling us but it's about learning!"

i actually don't remember what it's about but I do remember loving the camaraderie of the characters.

I'm remembering words like 'Tesseract' and 'Mitochondria'. Meg's little brother Charles had an issue with his mitochondria and so he didn't feel very well. It turns out there was a problem in the universe and that was why Charles was sick(? ) So they went through the space/time continuum (wrong book? movie?) because time can wrinkle up and allow you to do that. And then they saved the universe, with the help of hottie, Calvin O'Keefe. And then Charles felt better. But because all of these characters were very special there were two more books in the series: 'A Wind in the Door' and 'A Swiftly Tilting Planet'

There were a few other series that she wrote. One of them was about the children of Calvin and Meg (who got married). The other was about the Austin family.

She wrote a biography which I read maybe 10 years ago, just after I finally found an apartment to rent. I particularly remember the part in her biography where she and her children had trouble finding an affordable home in Manhattan, but lucked out with a really cheap, large place on the upper west side.

Edit: I must have read "Wrinkle" about 10 times. I can't believe I remember the characters' names. Ms. L'Engle provided hours of enjoyment to me and so many others...

AND they found Meg and Charles Wallace's dad, a brilliant scientist who had disappeared through the wrinkle in time.

That's right!!! I remember now, it was almost a scandal in the town - people gossiped that he had left his brilliant and beautiful wife with the flaming red hair....

Okay, I know it's ridiculous but I always thought that I was the only one who loved "Wrinkle in Time" as a child...none of my friends had even heard of it. Then, about 10 years ago (maybe fewer?), she was at some street book fair in Manhattan and I realized that it was an extremely popular book. I'm not sure, but I think I got her to autograph a copy that I've either given away or have on one of these shelves somewhere.