Home Brewing

Great thread, It's been too many years since I brewed my own. If you have a halfways decent DIY head you can install a kettle element into a 5 gallon bucket (preferably one with a lid that you can put an airlock in) to do your mashing, add the kind of thermostat you use on a hot water supply tank into the circuit and you can control the temperature of the wort. Include a tap to drain off.

In the UK these things can be purchased, as can 5 gallon barrels (with or without gas pressure) so you can serve draught beer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

finally our first batch is ready; it's a Sierra Nevada pale ale clone and fortunately it came out great. Cheers!

2385624319_cf9a04f5f7.jpg

Congratulations! That looks great.

I've recently finished the last of my English Mild and have yet to bottle the Old Ale/Barleywine that has been bulk aging in my hall closet for a while now. Probably too long, but what the hell, it's barleywine. I won't drink this until Christmas at least.

My next brew will be a Vienna lager (think Dos Equis, Negra Modelo or Pacifico). I've not been brewing because Raleigh is in the midst of a severe drought and running water for the immersion chiller seems inordinately wasteful. We've had quite a bit of rain lately and our local aquifer is above normal levels, so it is time to think about brewing again. Of course, temperatures have changed, so brewing a lager is going to be a bit trickier than it would have been several months ago. Should be interesting. Keep your fingers crossed.

Chad

• 3 weeks later...

thank you, yes indeed...

yesterday we had a sneak preview of our imperial stout - still a bit young but so good - quite elegant, just needs a month or so to get more structure.

in the near plans - hefe with bergamot oranges, some belgium and possibly barleywine.

thank you, yes indeed...

yesterday we had a sneak preview of our imperial stout - still a bit young but so good - quite elegant, just needs a month or so to get more structure.

in the near plans - hefe with bergamot oranges, some belgium and possibly barleywine.

Ooh, that hefe with bergamot sounds great! I brewed a Vienna Lager on Monday the 21st and am already planning the next beer. The Vienna should be about finished fermenting in a couple of weeks, so I'm planning on another lager that I can pitch directly onto the yeast of the first one. I have a boatload of Marris Otter English malt on hand along with a variety of English hops (most of my ales have been in that vein), so I think it's going to be an odd combo -- typically English components in a crisp, light bodied lager. Should be interesting. I suspect it will come out something like a Munich Helles or Dortmunder Export with spicier hops.

Chad

Wow! The brewing bug has really bitten you.

The bergamot sounds like a really nice addition to a witbier. I've tried lime leaves and hibiscus with wheat and witbeir yeast brews and they've worked well. Lots of interesting flavor combinations to play with. Do keep us informed on your successes.

• 2 weeks later...

our rendition of Bert Grant russian imperial stout is indeed quite good:

2471048738_fd71e4686b.jpg

also ordered the stuff for two next batches - bergamot hefeweizen (based on the recipe from Sam Calagione - the Dogfish guy) and belgian american IPA (Randy Mosher).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The 11/24 Food Issue of the New Yorker has an interesting article about the Dogfish Head brewery, extreme beer, and brewing beer. I'm guessing that the article is online and would be well worth reading if you have any interest in any of the above subjects.