i have a bag of over-ripe greengage (?) plums. they were not over-ripe when given to me (by a colleague) but somehow we forgot to eat them and now they probably all are. what can i do to salvage them? any simple pies or chutneys or things along those line anyone might recommend?

• Like 1

Some ovverripe fruits, including plums, peaches, cherries, nectarines, are ideal for bread pudding. Toss with a little sugar, lemon juice if you think it needs a little tartness and something like kirsch or framboise(quetsch would be ideal of course but we're talking improvisation here). Toss chunks of stale (or at least day-old) bread with melted butter in a skillet until it has some burnished edges, mix with fruit, pour over eggs beaten into milk or half and half or cream or a combination. Bake. Some people put raisins in bread pudding. I wouldn't dream of it.

Mmm, sounds fab Daisy. Though I have to admit fruit rarely lasts that long in my house. Another option is to make sorbet out of em -- had a great one recently at a local place. Holler if you want a recipe, I think I have a few around here somewhere.

Mmm, sounds fab Daisy. Though I have to admit fruit rarely lasts that long in my house. Another option is to make sorbet out of em -- had a great one recently at a local place. Holler if you want a recipe, I think I have a few around here somewhere.

if you have a simple one which does not involve specialized machinery, then, yes.

if you have a simple one which does not involve specialized machinery, then, yes.

It's a pain in the ass without an ice cream maker. Tarts are easy. Pit & slice then toss them with a little sugar. Arrange them artfully on a half-baked pie crust (I like the kind that's like a butter cookie) and there you go.

Tarts are easy. Pit & slice then toss them with a little sugar. Arrange them artfully on a half-baked pie crust (I like the kind that's like a butter cookie) and there you go.

does it matter if they're too ripe to be sliced--more like squished?

half-baked pie crust? don't forget, i'm from india--we don't have baking there.

Ew. Just make chutney.

eta: Kidding. Hold up, I will look for something.

eta2: Plum granita

1.5 lbs plums

1 cup simple syrup

2 tsp lemon juice

Rinse halve and stone plums. Cook down until tender. Remove skins by picking them out then blend w/ simple syrup and lemon juice. Add 1.5 cups of water, mix well and set to chill in the fridge. Put mixture into shallow cake tin, cover, set in freezer and scrape with fork every 30 minutes or so for 2.5 hours. Better eaten same day but you can defrost it in the fridge a little the next day and repeat the scraping process.

Make a simple plum compote by simmering sliced plums with some sugar, water, lemon zest and juice.

Exact amounts will vary depending on your taste and the plums, but a starting point is 1 lb plums, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 Tbs lemon juice, grated zest of half a lemon. You can also add a small pinch of ground cinnamon and/or cloves if you like. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 min. Let cool. They will keep for quite awhile and can be served warmed or at room temp with pancakes, waffles, pound cakes, inside crepes/palatschinken or over ice cream . This is a very common Austrian and Central European treatment. You couldl add some kirsch or other liqueur to the compote as well.

I also like making simple free form tarts with plums. Sprinkle the tart dough with a mixture of ground almonds and sugar and cover with sliced pllums. Fold over the edges of the tart dough and bake on a cookie sheet. Serve with whipped cream...