ghostrider

You know you're getting older when...

...you discover you can no longer eat BBQ.

A couple of years ago we had dinner at Beale St BBQ up in Maine, a place we'd dined at before & rather liked. I had ribs. After dinner I had one of the worst attacks of nausea in my life. I was almost certain that the problem was the shrimp salad I'd had for lunch rather than the ribs, but of course the association of the sensation & the ribs was powerful and kept me away from BBQ for quite a spell.

Had dinner in NYC with some UK friends last night. I looked up some restaurants in their vicinity & came up with a choice of Indonesian, Greek, Thai & BBQ. Naturally they opted for the one thing that's hard to find in Britain, the BBQ - Virgil's. It had been way too long for me, I figured it was time to try the stuff again. I went for the pulled pork.

Shortly after we finished, there was the nausea again, not nearly as powerful as before, but still evident & unwelcome. Maybe Virgil's just sucks. Or maybe my system simply can't handle that much rich, greasy, smoky & salty food any more.

So now I'm thinking that the event in Maine was a combination of bad shrimp & my reaction to BBQ, and that I've had my last BBQ meal.

It's not a huge loss in the cosmic sdheme of things, but it's another reminder of how time changes our physiology that I'd rather not have had, thank you. :angry:

• Like 1

A couple of years ago we had dinner at Beale St BBQ up in Maine, a place we'd dined at before & rather liked. I had ribs. After dinner I had one of the worst attacks of nausea in my life. I was almost certain that the problem was the shrimp salad I'd had for lunch rather than the ribs, but of course the association of the sensation & the ribs was powerful and kept me away from BBQ for quite a spell.

Had dinner in NYC with some UK friends last night. I looked up some restaurants in their vicinity & came up with a choice of Indonesian, Greek, Thai & BBQ. Naturally they opted for the one thing that's hard to find in Britain, the BBQ - Virgil's. It had been way too long for me, I figured it was time to try the stuff again. I went for the pulled pork.

Shortly after we finished, there was the nausea again, not nearly as powerful as before, but still evident & unwelcome. Maybe Virgil's just sucks. Or maybe my system simply can't handle that much rich, greasy, smoky & salty food any more.

So now I'm thinking that the event in Maine was a combination of bad shrimp & my reaction to BBQ, and that I've had my last BBQ meal.

It's not a huge loss in the cosmic sdheme of things, but it's another reminder of how time changes our physiology that I'd rather not have had, thank you. :angry:

I went through a period where pastrami turned me off. For me, that's like saying no to Charleze Theron. It lasted about two years, and was cured by eating half a sandwich of Katz's pastrami.

... you realize that the face you see in the mirror is your father's.

... you have more hair in your ears than on your head.

... you grunt every time you stand up.

... your immediate response on seeing a group of young people is "fucking students".

I went through a period where pastrami turned me off. For me, that's like saying no to Charleze Theron. It lasted about two years, and was cured by eating half a sandwich of Katz's pastrami.

I am now wondering how one would cure a Charlize Theron aversion. :)

I am now wondering how one would cure a Charlize Theron aversion. :)

Immersion therapy.

:angry:

The puzzle here is to figure out what and why. I have now, alas, developed the same adverse reaction to Parmigiano Reggiano or any parmesan that isn't packaged in green cardboard. And I love P-R on many things. But up all night is no longer worth it. Is it a getting older thing or more like a third bee sting kills you thing? I was taught in college food science classes that adults, as they age, slowly stop producing the enzymes that break down dairy products. But I'm a huge consumer of dairy, milk with every meal, cheeses on Mexican dishes, Laughing Cow snack cheeses, etc., and no problems.

There's just something about parmesans/romanos culture that I can't have any more. :angry: :blush:

...you can still stay up until 2 AM working a deadline....but when you finally get in bed, you can't fall asleep, and when you finally do you can't wake up and you can't manage to drag your ass out of bed before 9 and you're a fucking wreck for the next 3 days.

Hard work just doesn't pay.

Just recently I had to enter my year of birth with a pull down menu online.

A lot of years passed before I got to mine. OUCH.

yes Gordon, running more slowly- but still running.