ghostrider

You know you're getting older when...

Being called my least favorite word in the English language -- ma'am. :angry:

Really? I just think that's polite and nice. I call people ma'am and sir all the time, regardless of age.

Well, you've been warned. ;)

I'm having a hard time with it. When I'm addressed as such, in my head, I'm thinking, Damn mouthy little whippersnapper! :P

There are a few words, especially the gender-related ones, that get my goat.

Why do women have to transition from "miss" to "ma'am" while men never do? They just get called "sir" all their lives.

Recently, I've been getting really mad when someone uses the term "cougar" to talk about a certain type, age-related, of women. It's not complimentary, even when the people using it think it is.

Why do women have to transition from "miss" to "ma'am" while men never do? They just get called "sir" all their lives.

Recently, I've been getting really mad when someone uses the term "cougar" to talk about a certain type, age-related, of women. It's not complimentary, even when the people using it think it is.

I think you need a hug!

I also think we need a name for letchy old men with saggy skin and liver marks who wouldn't dream of dating women older than 30. I think it would soften the sting of "cougar".

Never heard that cougar expression...

Sir, Miss/Ma'am....same as Miss/Mrs vs Mr

I am surprised.

Also not a fan of 'ma'am'. My sister put a note in the 'suggestion box' at her gym suggesting '20-something staff should not be calling 30 and 40-something members ma'am'.

I do remember almost falling over in a shop in London when I was about 25 and was called 'madam'.

How do you feel about MILF? (sorry, couldn't resist)

Never heard that cougar expression...

Sir, Miss/Ma'am....same as Miss/Mrs vs Mr

I am surprised.

Also not a fan of 'ma'am'. My sister put a note in the 'suggestion box' at her gym suggesting '20-something staff should not be calling 30 and 40-something members ma'am'.

I do remember almost falling over in a shop in London when I was about 25 and was called 'madam'.

There's the AbFab when the girls fly to France and a stewardess calls Patsy "madame" and Patsy roars: "Wha-selle! Wha-selle! Madamoiselle!" as if she were far too young for Madame.

I think you need a hug!

I also think we need a name for letchy old men with saggy skin and liver marks who wouldn't dream of dating women older than 30. I think it would soften the sting of "cougar".

Hey! Wait a second! I'm not a cougar yet...but I'm looking forward to it, though should anyone call me one to my face...

rancho, I blame you, you enabler! Don't tell me you weren't jacking up the ratings for Age of Love and sniggering at those (lovely) 40 y.o.'s vying with those (trampy) 20 y.o.'s for the affections of a 2nd tier has-been 30 y.o. former tennis pro. I know you were!!

I do need a hug.

When the kids call me sir or Mr., I tell them that's my father.

How about when they call you Boss (and you're not their employer or supervisor)?

When the kids call me sir or Mr., I tell them that's my father.

How about when they call you Boss (and you're not their employer or supervisor)?

Do you have the air of command?

I think the real point is some like ma'am and sir and others aren't quite ready so no one should get to upset about any of it because there's no winning this game! And by the way, I'm not your "bro" so let's stop that!

My peeve is the high five. I'm too old and it's silly. Or this new knuckle to knuckle thing. i like an old fashioned hand shake or an air kiss. Or a romp in the hay, but that's about it.

I think you need a hug!

We call them "billionaires".

How do you feel about MILF? (sorry, couldn't resist)

I don't like it, but I admit it doesn't get me mad. Somehow women cross some dividing line between being vibrant and sexy and being maternal and sexless. MILF somehow implies an exception that proves the rule. Not to mention some women wear it as a badge of honor, and equate it with dressing like a teenager and letting it all hang out.

I personally think the sexiest ladies dress their age but with elegance and taste. Incredibly sexy, but those ladies would never be referred to as a MILF. At least by men.

I am mildly peeved when I see "MILF" printed by publications which wouldn't dare spell out the phrase for which it's an acronym.

Anyway, I met a charming woman last night, but told myself that even if I were single she'd be too young for me. Turns out she's 33. :(