Manet/Degas at the Met

Wilfrid

Yesterday was the last of member preview days but I no longer believe they're any less crowded or more convenient than when the exhibit is open to the public. As with Van Gogh's cypresses, there's a virtual line system in place. Scan a QR code and you are told when to join the (physical) line. I guess I waited about 10-15 minutes.

It's a huge show, ultimately quite exhausting, but very good. These were almost exact contemporaries and friends, so in the early part of the show especially you see them tackling similar subjects and themes around the same time. Degas long outlived Manet, but the show doesn't go into Degas' late career (hundreds of ballerina paintings and yet more horses).

There are some greatest hits. Manet's "Olympia," Degas' "The Absinthe Drinker" and an early version of Manet's "Dejeuner sur l'herbe." I admit I came away with a strong preference for one artist over the other.

1 hour ago, Wilfrid said:

Yesterday was the last of member preview days

I was led to believe, at least from the museum's web site, that member preview days were on Friday and Saturday. The show opened to the public yesterday, so perhaps that is why it was so crowded?

Quite looking forward to seeing this, on some Tuesday at 10 AM or so.

Edited by MitchW

I think the only way to not wait in line for these things is to be first in line.  Sometimes Friday/Saturday evenings around dinner time are good.

We have tickets to another Van Gogh show at the D'orsay (thanks to @Chambo), in mid-to-late November  - I imagine (if it's anything like the last time we went to a show there) it will be a zoo, even with timed tickets.