Daisy

El Quinto Pino

i hope it's an aberration, although i'm not sure i'm willing to go back and try again. it's delicious when you have enough uni and balanced ratio of the mustard oil. it was so bread heavy i actually had to open the panino to see what was going on and it was a sad sight - small pieces of uni dotted on the bread - never mind covering it fully. some bites were just dry bread. because of my guest, i decided not to complain but really, it was pretty outrageous. whether that's someone new in the kitchen or a savings measure, i have no idea.

too bad Txikito was closed on Mon.

When it opened initially Tia Pol was a good place to eat dinner, but something bad happened earlier this year. I guess the same thing happened to EQP.

Wilf -- after your last visit to Barcelona are you still not convinced that the serios tapas places there are places to eat dinner? how are they different from Tia Pol? (except for being cheaper and better)

Good point. Yes, the new(ish) wave of ambitious tapas bars are indeed places to spend a couple of hours. But you'd agree, I'm sure, that the original concept of tapear was to go from bar to bar, eating a snack at each, on the way to dinner. In Spain, overheads are sufficiently low that this is a cheap prelude to the rest of the evening. Remember, outside Barcelona, tapas are often still free. :o

Yes, La Boqueria and Tia Pol are really restaurants. El Quinto Pino, though, fits the old tapear model, but at New York prices. It sounds like Txikito fits that description too.

I am blanking on the name of the Second Ave tapas bar owned by the Bar Carrera people; that's an example of a place where you actually can eat cheap tapas - but you get what you pay for.

When it opened initially Tia Pol was a good place to eat dinner, but something bad happened earlier this year. I guess the same thing happened to EQP.

Wilf -- after your last visit to Barcelona are you still not convinced that the serios tapas places there are places to eat dinner? how are they different from Tia Pol? (except for being cheaper and better)

Good point. Yes, the new(ish) wave of ambitious tapas bars are indeed places to spend a couple of hours. But you'd agree, I'm sure, that the original concept of tapear was to go from bar to bar, eating a snack at each, on the way to dinner. In Spain, overheads are sufficiently low that this is a cheap prelude to the rest of the evening. Remember, outside Barcelona, tapas are often still free. :o

Yes, La Boqueria and Tia Pol are really restaurants. El Quinto Pino, though, fits the old tapear model, but at New York prices. It sounds like Txikito fits that description too.

I am blanking on the name of the Second Ave tapas bar owned by the Bar Carrera people; that's an example of a place where you actually can eat cheap tapas - but you get what you pay for.

Wilfrid: Are you thinking of Bar Veloce?

Orik: I believe the chef left a few months ago. I've been to Tia Pol a little bit less than usual overall, but I went the other night and had some delicious bone marrow on toast. Absolutely heavenly. The patatas bravas remain tasty. It was over a week ago and I'm blanking on the other dish that I had - but overall I was very satisfied.

Um, the Second Ave tapas place is Bar Carrera. Owned by the Bar Veloce people.

The Tia Pol/EQP owners and Alex and Eder parted ways. Tia Pol has slipped since IMO, I don't think I've been back to EQP since they left. They are now running Txixito, which I liked very much on my one vist.

Wifrid -- are you thinking of Solex?

No. What went wrong is that I did mean Bar Carrera all along, as Daisy notes above. Although I considered making the same point about Solex, with the qualification that it's French, not Spanish.

They have been serving breakfast for a while now and it's impressive if what I tasted the other day is any indicator. Good tortilla, very good ensaimada ( a powdered sugar-dusted pastry made with lard and olive oil, hot out of the oven with a discernable but subtle flavor of the oil and airy texture) and the best churros ever, anywhere, with excellent dulce de leche. My coffee drinking sidekick was impressed by their rendition. I stuck to orange juice which was fine. Sweet and friendly service from the woman also responsible for baking the fabulous ensaimada .

Tried el comedor earlier this week. If you like the Raij places you'll like this. I actually like the room for sure. Galicia is the flavor of the month - and granted the options are completelu inauthentic they are pretty tasty. The Tuna "Empanada" and the Salpicon especially. Empanada was really a crispy flat bread

We went after a movie. Don't go after a movie. Its one thing to ask us to order everything all at once, but if you can't handle drinks up until the the time we leave (and by drinks I mean BTG wine) it might just be better for everyone if you tell us you can't serve us when we walk in at 10:30.

Wow, what a difference some time makes..

2106250764_e8f82688de.jpg

Above was my sandwich when the place first opened and here is the sandwich in it's current state:

25758308426_fe55ddfbd8_z.jpg

You can't really see so much and either could I.. The bread more skinny, no longer bursting with uni.. It barely even tasted like uni.. More spicy mustard and butter.. At one point it was one of the greatest things around.. Now, it is just boring reminder and it's 16 bucks ta boot. Yikes... Now, I want to make this at home.

Thanks Miguel.