I'm going to be spending a week in Austin at the end of October. I'm interested in finding the following things:

- The best places to buy fresh seafood, and to get an idea of the types of seafood available there.

- I'd love to visit a farmer's market while there also, and I think I remember hearing about one that is near downtown...? But I'm curious about which ones you think are the best.

- Any good asian grocery stores?

I've been to the Whole Foods and Central Market, so am familiar with those. And I got to do bbq in Lockhart last time too (major yum!)

I will also hopefully get a few restaurant meals in. If I can have only one high end meal in town, where should I go? If I want interesting creative comfort food where should I go?

Thanks for your help!

Lots of Fab Austonians here, so I hope they all speak up. Wish I were gonna be in Austin while you are there. I had such fun meeting you and the Seattle crowd when I was up your way. It would be nice to repay the favor. But I'm not going to be back in Austin until the first week of November.

Central Market and Quality Seafood have what's probably the best fish in town, but if you're interested in Hispanic food, you should also check out the seafood counter in Fiesta, which is great fun anyway.

I haven't been keeping up with the best high end. Didn't the chef at Driscoll Grill leave for supposedly "better" things? I've really enjoyed my meals at Uchi, though.

Interesting, creative comfort food...the current fave seems to be Lola's. I like Tony's and Hoover's, but wouldn't call either of them "creative."

The area around 183 and Lamar is Austin's Asian center, and there are many, many small eateries and noodle shops. And a new, large Asian supermarket as well.

I've got to get back there....

Sigh.

Chinatown Center at Lamar and Kramer is a blast. Some good food and the weekends are great for people-watching .

I'd be happy to give you a private tour of Central Market North Lamar if you'd enjoy that.

I tried to drum up a visit by MFs to Austin for dinner at Fonda San Miquel. No luck so far. Saw and bought the gorgeous book on Rancho's blog and Jane says she's in it and was part of it. So wouldn't this be sort of high end suggestion?

Chinatown Center at Lamar and Kramer is a blast. Some good food and the weekends are great for people-watching .

I'd be happy to give you a private tour of Central Market North Lamar if you'd enjoy that.

;-) that's a distinct possibility! I'll be there the 22nd to the 29th...

I tried to drum up a visit by MFs to Austin for dinner at Fonda San Miquel. No luck so far. Saw and bought the gorgeous book on Rancho's blog and Jane says she's in it and was part of it. So wouldn't this be sort of high end suggestion?

You're right. Excellent high-end suggestion. And something you can get in Austin that's not available elsewhere.

As I already said, I'm going to be in Austin the first week of November, so I'm definitely up for a visit to Fonda San Miguel if anyone else wants to go.

As I already said, I'm going to be in Austin the first week of November, so I'm definitely up for a visit to Fonda San Miguel if anyone else wants to go.

dang, Jaymes, we are just one week apart. oh well, have a great stay!

Don't know if you're going to make it down to Lockhart and Smitty's/Black's/Kreuz, but somebody elsewhere gave you some advice about stepping out the back door of Smitty's to see an example of a beautiful old Texas courthouse. That's not exactly correct.

Because in actuality, most folks pull into the back parking lot of Smitty's and enter through the back door, in their minds, they've got the building turned around. Their advice would puzzle a newcomer, though, who's standing there looking at the place.

So while, if you make it that far, you won't have any trouble locating the huge, stone courthouse, it's really out the FRONT door.