Hi Kids -

We went to Oceanaire last night for dinner before going to see Spamalot.

The short version: both Ocenaire and Spamalot rocked.

The long version:

We had 6:00pm reservations. Seated promptly on arrival. The room is really cool looking. Very 'art-deco-y', which I like. When you walk in the raw bar and the bar bar are right there. You can sit and eat at either. The room is big and loud and has a steakhouse feel to it. This is not an intimate, play footsie w/ your dining companion kind of place.

Service was, in general, good. Not Frasca level or anything though. The waiter immediately asked us if we were going to a show and was thereafter very good at getting us through the evening in time for an 8:00 curtain. The waiter made a big deal of how fresh their fish is...this was a bit annoying, cause, well, duh, it had better be for $30 + an entree!

We started out w/ the chilled seafood platter. We got the petit version. It was a good deal for $40 and the right size to get for 4 people as an appetizer. The big version would be more like a meal. It include really nice chilled shellfish - shrimp, half a lobster, lots of snow and king crab claws, 4 mussels, and 4 very fresh oysters (not sure of the types, they change daily). It came w/ 4 sauces: cocktail, remoulade (the waiter called it 'mustard mayonaise', but...), mignonette, and ponzu. We also asked for and got drawn butter. One quibble was that alot of the oysters and mussels had ice from the tray the food was server on in them that I had to scrape out before eating them...they sort of buried stuff too much in the mound of ice.

We split a Caesar salad...it was good (though not the best in Denver which their menu claims). One salad was enough for 4 to split...not a huge portion for each of us, but enough w/ all of the food coming.

For mains we had:

- Coriander Crusted Diver Scallops w/ Chimmichurri - Scallops were great...large, nicely seared, etc. There were 5 of them which was enough. The chimmichurri was ok...a bit chunkier than I'd like.

-Bacon Wrapped Mahi Mahi w/ Tomato Butter and Soft Polenta - best dish of the night. Impeccably cooked fish, great bacon (they offer it as a side actually) and really good sauce.

-Wahoo Oscar style - again, very well cooked, very moist...ok bearnaise, really good lump crab meat.

- Butter braised halibut w/ pineapple, smoked almonds and bleu cheese - again really well cooked, very tender fish. Kind of an odd flavor combination.

For sides we had:

-salt and vinegar fries - good shoestring style frites...didn't taste much vinegar though. The small portion is huge and more than enough.

-rice pilaf w/ chorizo, shrimp, and peas - sort of a poorman's paella. Nothing really to write home about.

-creamed corn - very good, made w/ fresh corn.

We didn't get their 'signature side', the hashed browns a la Ocenaire - which means they have tobasco and bacon in them. I'm sure they are good, but we were told they take 20 minutes to make and we were short on time.

For wine we had two bottles of Clos la Chance Vigonier. It was very good. Can't recall the price, maybe $50 something. Wine list seemed ok w/ some interesting food friendly choices. There is an executive list that we didn't ask to see.

We didn't have time for desert but saw some good looking items, especially popular was the chocolate mousse. We saw a lot of those going out.

Total bill for 4 was $380 or so. Pretty expensive but I thought it was worth it. I'd spend this much (or more) at a prime steakhouse and this was a similar experience.

In general I will definitely go to Oceanaire again. No major problems. One note is that from some of the things the waiter said (as you might have noticed above) you can tell it's a chain that makes the wiaters give a marketing pitch, but it was no big deal.

Later,

Hoff

Thanks for the write-up, Hoff. Any idea what their wine mark-ups are like across-the-board? No prices on their website. Something tells me I'd probably need a second mortgage in order to drink the Lafite. (Although we had so much vino at the James Beard Dinner on Friday that I am considering abstaining until our anniversary on the 11th.)

Why does their name keep reminding me of Legionnaire's Disease?

Thanks for the write-up, Hoff. Any idea what their wine mark-ups are like across-the-board? No prices on their website. Something tells me I'd probably need a second mortgage in order to drink the Lafite. (Although we had so much vino at the James Beard Dinner on Friday that I am considering abstaining until our anniversary on the 11th.)

Why does their name keep reminding me of Legionnaire's Disease?

Hey Robin -

I'd say they were pretty high. Two to three times retail. I didn't spend a lot of time looking at the list as I let my buddy do the ordering last night.

Hoff