chinese--in and around the twin cities

That's a major bummer. Sometimes I wonder if Chinese regional cooking suffers because people already have an idea of what they want when they walk into a Chinese restaurant.

• Like 1
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

please post recommendations and warnings.   also: rainbow. discuss. should i support or subvert a developing plan for me to eat there on the college's dime?

Me: Now we're going to make a new rule. When you put the dan dan noodles in their tiny bowl on the table and you see us trying to stir them..or if you don't see us trying to stir them..or whatever t

I ate there last Monday night with some work colleagues and did not tell them anything about "extra spicy" and it was plenty hot. It was the most popular of the three dishes we shared (Kung Pao chick

given how many more sichuan places seem to have opened up of late it would seem that more people in the cities are now willing to try less familiar dishes/flavours.

i think little szechuan may be suffering because they might be functioning as the portal through which sichuan chefs arrive in the cities before leaving to open places of their own (that's how grand szechuan started).

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

i'll play around it with some--i have it set to auto. most of my restaurant food pictures are not taken in the brightest places and i try to adjust the exposure and brightness further in photoshop--i obviously don't have the camera/photoshop skills necessary to do any of this well.

Your restaurant pictures are really pretty good.

When I got my first camera in 2009 I didn't bother setting a custom white balance. I didn't understand what it was and it seemed overly technical. Over time I read a couple of basic photography books and finally figured out what it was and how to use it.

I've got two Canon cameras and both of them work the same way. I suspect most cameras are similar.

The Canons have multiple lighting settings - sun, clouds, incandescent, etc. There's also a couple of custom settings. When you select one it prompts you to press a Menu button to set the balance. Point the camera at something white like a napkin or table cloth and press the menu button. The camera will then automatically compensate for the golden light and give your photos true colors.

You need to do it each time you go to a restaurant since all lighting situations are different. Since it takes about 10 seconds to set it really isn't any trouble at all.

What white balance *won't* do is to help with low light situations but it's definitely worth setting.

• 1 month later...

Those pictures looked very good. I believe you went to the restaurant during the day when there was a mix of natural and artificial light. The more natural light you have the less you need to set a custom white balance.

Those pictures looked very good. I believe you went to the restaurant during the day when there was a mix of natural and artificial light. The more natural light you have the less you need to set a custom white balance.

yeah--half the table was lit by natural light from a window and the other half by sickly yellow artificial light. after a point i stopped moving myself and the food to the optimal location.

Shooting in mixed light situations can be a little tricky. If you've got 70% to 80% natural light you'll get good pictures. Less than that and the dreaded golden glow sets in.

I was thinking of you on Friday when we went to our favorite Sichuan place in Brooklyn. Braised chili beef using 3 white balance settings.

Custom
14320370840_ab8e007ec2.jpg

Average white balance.

14320371140_b90132735e.jpg

Daylight

14505674274_edb3a7c5fd.jpg

In this case the AWB really didn't do too bad a job. Of course it depends on the particular light source. Sometimes it works better than others.

I'm wondering if there might be differences between cameras. I've got a Canon G11 FWIW. Maybe do a little experimenting?

BTW that chili beef is terrific. It only took me 2 or 3 times to realize that the spices on top needed to be mixed in so they didn't take the top of my head right off.